Please explain to me what is so "casual" about Call of Duty and Battlefield 4?

#11Xeeh_BitzPosted 12/15/2013 9:59:17 PM
raided666 posted...
Well I'd say look at a game like Arma or even America's Army. I actually think BF isn't as "casual" as COD for the very reason that if you played the game the way it was designed you would be working as a team far more than COD.

F*** Arma, you need a PHD just to play that game.
---
Steam: Xeeh Bitz | PSN: Xeeh Bitz | XBL: Xeeh You
#12NSGraphitePosted 12/15/2013 10:08:31 PM
CoD is one of the few videogames that non-gamers will play (not counting the legions of time wasters people buy for their cellphone)

There are legions of people who only play call of duty. when someone at work (and i work with hundreds of agents) tells me they "play games" i'll usually ask them what they play. 8/10 times they'll say "i mostly just play call of duty online with my friends".

Thats not a gamer. i wouldnt even call that person a casual gamer. they just play call of duty, that's it.

Thats why call of duty is considered a "casual game", because it attracts a ton of non-gamers.

I have no idea why battlefield 4 is considered casual. i didnt think it was.
---
http://m.quickmeme.com/meme/3va9jp/
I don't always Troll on the internet. But when I do, I make it the Xbox-One forums...
#13TheApd_ReturnsPosted 12/15/2013 10:12:18 PM
as a longtime BF fan, BF is plenty casual. the strength of the game never was its competitive or balance mechanics... none of the BF games have ever been well balanced, and before BC2 the gun mechanics have been pretty bad across the series.

the draw of the series was that you could use submarines and bombers and stuff. unfortunately, in a post Halo 2/CoD world, you can't rely on "omg vehicleS" alone to carry your series.
---
XBL: MauryPov1ch ... BF4 (PC): Chollima ... Steam: callmaury
3DS: 1907-9236-7818
#14IMProdiGYPosted 12/15/2013 10:22:23 PM
NSGraphite posted...
CoD is one of the few videogames that non-gamers will play (not counting the legions of time wasters people buy for their cellphone)

There are legions of people who only play call of duty. when someone at work (and i work with hundreds of agents) tells me they "play games" i'll usually ask them what they play. 8/10 times they'll say "i mostly just play call of duty online with my friends".

Thats not a gamer. i wouldnt even call that person a casual gamer. they just play call of duty, that's it.

Thats why call of duty is considered a "casual game", because it attracts a ton of non-gamers.

I have no idea why battlefield 4 is considered casual. i didnt think it was.

I unserstand if they only play COD and I agree it attracts non gamers. BUT you say it as if COD is a bad game; it's far from that. BF is more harder to under stand, but it's not hard to play.

You take a game like Starcraft, Elder Scrolls etc. That is more appealing to "gamers"

I concider myself a gamer and love Call of Duty. I am not sure how old a lot of you guys are, but back in the arcade days games that were successful were games like COD. What I mean is that its fun and to the point. You put in 25 cent to a buck and enjoy urself.

There were no real in deprh games most games well, 98% of games were casual. Fighting games were probably the hardest games to play because of different skills and styles. Street Fighter just like today was how it was back then. It's not for eceryone.
---
gl hf
#15IMProdiGYPosted 12/15/2013 10:41:46 PM(edited)
I tell you this if not for BF's atmosphere the game would be garbage. TDM is horrible and so boring. COD while I dont play much TDM it is still miles better then BF.
---
gl hf
#16Gojak_v3Posted 12/15/2013 10:30:02 PM(edited)
Skill based FPS like Quake and Unreal died a long time ago. In fact it is you console casuals that killed them since they can't just pick them up and face roll like in CoD.

Also lol at thinking CoD has anything to do with skill.
---
It just doesn't look right if nothing is here.
#17IMProdiGYPosted 12/15/2013 10:27:37 PM
I tell you this if not for BF's atmosphere the game would be garbage. TDM is horrible and so boring. COD while I dont play much TDM it is still miles better then BF.
---
gl hf
#18motoraptorPosted 12/15/2013 10:28:25 PM
ITT: people who play a specific video game are not gamers

Also, if CoD is so easy why do some people consistently go 2-15?
---
http://i.imgur.com/OnsrjIu.gif
#19IMProdiGYPosted 12/15/2013 10:33:23 PM
motoraptor posted...
ITT: people who play a specific video game are not gamers

Also, if CoD is so easy why do some people consistently go 2-15?

It's not easy. It an easy game to pick up and play. Thats all. Once you get the maps down and learn to aim and shoot better, that 2-15 will become more like 15-25 or better. Some are better then others and certain games.
---
gl hf
#203HPPosted 12/15/2013 10:37:53 PM(edited)
As far as skill ceiling and noob friendliness goes, CoD is as casual as they come. Most of the time it comes down to who started shooting first or who had the better headglitch, not to mention all the easy mode weapons that you can SPAWN with. In a skill based shooter the bad player would get turned on almost every time if they started shooting a good player in the back.

Let me put it to you this way, if it takes 1 bullet to kill then anyone can kill anyone else for the most part but if it takes, say, 100 bullets to kill then the better player will win 100% of the time. Unfortunately CoD falls very close to the low end of that spectrum even in non-hardcore gamemodes.

Don't get me wrong, there is some skill involved. Personally the last CoD game i played was MW3, in which my K:D was 3+ and my W:L was over 16:1(most of those loses came from hosts dropping). My point is just that its too easy if you play smart and/or play with a team, which is where most of the "skill" aspect in CoD comes from.