Local Multiplayer: Dying Art Form?

#1SorbetowulfPosted 12/16/2013 10:02:51 AM(edited)
Is online multiplayer killing off local multiplayer? Or is local multiplayer just a relic of the past regardless?

This kind of occurred to me a while ago, but I responded to a thread in Halo: Spartan Assault, and thought I'd post up my thoughts on here for discussion. I'd definitely welcome thoughts from the PS4 community on this as well.

It just seems like the focus is almost entirely on online socialization, and while that technology is great, I just miss having a couch buddy drinking a beer and listening to some tunes. It seems like a dead art form.

TL;DR;Do you lot think that local multiplayer and co-op is a dead art form? I know there's a huge push to online gaming, and that's fine, but it seems like the number of games and even genres that offer local multiplayer experiences is sparse. I know it's not a problem exclusive to XBox One, it seems to be a wider problem. I think it's troubling.

Of the games on my shelf for XB1 (12 in all), we have Forza, Lego: Marvel Superheroes, CoD: Ghosts, FIFA '14, Madden '14, NBA Live 2K14, and uh. There's another one but it's not occurring to me at the moment. It seems like a healthy list, but then you break down the experiences of them and it's just a little sparse.

Sports games: Two (or more) controllers is great, but the trouble I find with sports games is that they get tremendously tedious. Playing one or two football games is fine, but it doesn't seem like many people would want to sit down and grind out more than that. The best feature in sports games these days are the franchise and career modes, but franchise often involves one person screwing around with tactics and lineups and back-room stuff while the other players are bored out of their minds, and career modes rarely let another player participate.

Forza is a great game, and I love it, but the multiplayer is so damn limited. Sure, you can race a buddy. Let us just take out every other AI racer on the track so you guys can have a one on one race date. For starters, varying skill of racers often means one player just blows in front and then it's not really a race, it's just one person in first place bored, and one person in second place, bored. Integrating the tag or drag race features might alleviate this, but... who wants to just do drag races for an hour?

CoD: Ghosts: Why, oh, why, oh why, is local co-op campaign gone? Seriously?! I know you guys flushed the campaign into the toilet the last few games, but the best console experience of my life was beating World at War with my best friend locally, high-fiving each other and cracking a beer on the flag scene, being like "woah man! That's EPIC!" You left us split-screen multiplayer, and that's... not bad. It's not great. Let's shrink the screen and drop two people into an online match with terrible spawns and great players. You can see less than you could before. I'm not a good CoD player, but what of my buddies that have played it rarely? One of the only things you've left us to enjoy your game is a 1-23 MP experience against players that play your game almost exclusively. It's really hard to enjoy the graphics when you're getting spawn-killed. I know the reply to this is "get better," but, couch gaming should be a casual experience. I'll go on record as saying that local multiplayer against bots mitigates this somewhat, I hope it's something that they always leave in.

Lego Marvel Superheroes is the best bet at the moment. It's cute, fun, silly, and it tells a story. It's a pretty cool date game, and there's a lot to do. I don't have a complaint. My nephew loves it, and he's turning 10. So that's a thing.

As we go forward, getting a new Halo game, and hopefully they release next-gen Rock Band or Guitar Hero, are you sharing the same thoughts?

Sorry for the long post.
---
GT: NE OBL1V1SCAR1S
#2krystylaPosted 12/16/2013 8:53:55 AM
Always remember add a TL;dr line
---
FC: 4227 - 1514- 7752 IGN:Mara
PSN: JudasInHell Gamertag: Crystyn 7B
#3Sorbetowulf(Topic Creator)Posted 12/16/2013 8:55:05 AM
krystyla posted...

I'm not sure quite what that refers to. I don't start a lot of threads.
---
#4Lerp85Posted 12/16/2013 9:03:10 AM
It sucks it really does, but this has been a thing for a while now.

Also, if you think they are releasing more rock band like games I think you are fooling yourself.
---
I buy DLC. If that makes me a "sheep" then oh well. Don't like it? Oh well, get over it.
#5RayconPosted 12/16/2013 9:03:10 AM
Sorbetowulf posted...
krystyla posted...

It's like a one to two sentence summary for people too lazy to read your tome.

Like me; didn't read a lick of your paragraphs, but I wholeheartedly agree with the title.

= D
---
I must have looked a fool playing with a backwards DS, teary eyed solving a Sudoku puzzle -Lordx718
#6krystylaPosted 12/16/2013 9:08:04 AM
Raycon posted...
Sorbetowulf posted...
krystyla posted...

It's like a one to two sentence summary for people too lazy to read your tome.

Like me; didn't read a lick of your paragraphs, but I wholeheartedly agree with the title.

= D

It means: too long, didn't read.
---
FC: 4227 - 1514- 7752 IGN:Mara
PSN: JudasInHell Gamertag: Crystyn 7B
#7Sorbetowulf(Topic Creator)Posted 12/16/2013 9:12:11 AM
Wouldn't the topic title provide the summary? The entire first post is elaboration. I even stuck the question mark in, so people know it's a discussion.
---
#8immortalwombatxPosted 12/16/2013 9:27:53 AM
Yea this has been irritating me. If someone comes over I can only play killer instinct against them. I'm wondering why I even bought a second controller
#9aszsithPosted 12/16/2013 9:44:14 AM
I was actually rather impressed with the local MP for Lego Marvel. The way the view splits depending on where you are on the screen is rather elegant and seems less confusing to my non-gamer wife than the standard left-right or top-bottom split screen of yesteryear.

But yeah, local MP has been killed almost completely. It seems the kids these days would rather talk on a $200 mic than walk next door to play.
---
You can put icing on a turd, but that doesn't make it a cupcake!
#10Sorbetowulf(Topic Creator)Posted 12/16/2013 9:53:02 AM
immortalwombatx posted...
Yea this has been irritating me. If someone comes over I can only play killer instinct against them. I'm wondering why I even bought a second controller

How's the multiplayer on KI local? I'm not huge on fighting games, what's the learning curve like?
---