Local Multiplayer: Dying Art Form?

#31PSP_H0mebrewPosted 12/16/2013 2:44:25 PM
Sad reason is that Publishers hate local multiplayer because it lets you play multiplayer with pirated copies.

Thats the reason LAN has died on the PC.
---
Carey Price is a terrible Goalie. *RTS > MOBA*
http://i.imgur.com/JGn2l.gif Montreal Canadiens Fan
#32Sorbetowulf(Topic Creator)Posted 12/16/2013 2:56:27 PM
loafy013 posted...
Unfortunately, couch co-op doesn't make the company as much money. Local multiplayer = 1 game sold. Online multiplayer = multiple copies sold. I would say that is the real reason for its disappearance.

Unfortunately, I think you probably hit the nail right on the head with this. The only counter I could make to this would be if a buddy comes over and likes the game, he'd buy a copy, but that assumes he has a console. It's a pretty weak argument. :(
---
GT: NE OBL1V1SCAR1S
#33RayconPosted 12/16/2013 2:59:28 PM
BigBOOtoYOU2 posted...
Enix Belmont posted...
To be perfectly honest, last gen has probably been the gen I've spent the most time on couch co-op. More than the PS2 gen.

Considering online gaming wasn't really a thing in that era, I'd have to say you are very, very mistaken.

That may be true, but I found instead of any of that, most games in the PS1/PS2 era wouldn't have co-op at all. Most seemed to be strictly single-player experiences (or at least the ones I'm familiar with). So co-op being this prevalent feels pretty new.

But that's strictly the PS1/PS2 era. I'm sure couch co-op was much more widespread during the NES/SNES era, and just went into remission with the dawn of 3D.
---
I must have looked a fool playing with a backwards DS, teary eyed solving a Sudoku puzzle -Lordx718
#34tinfoil21Posted 12/16/2013 3:02:13 PM
krystyla posted...
Raycon posted...
Sorbetowulf posted...
krystyla posted...
Always remember add a TL;dr line

I'm not sure quite what that refers to. I don't start a lot of threads.

It's like a one to two sentence summary for people too lazy to read your tome.

Like me; didn't read a lick of your paragraphs, but I wholeheartedly agree with the title.

= D

It means: too long, didn't read.

TL;DR can mean "Too Lazy, Didn't Read" or "Too Long, Didn't Read", no?
#35A_Hairy_WafflePosted 12/16/2013 3:09:58 PM
PSP_H0mebrew posted...
Sad reason is that Publishers hate local multiplayer because it lets you play multiplayer with pirated copies.

Thats the reason LAN has died on the PC.

I really doubt that's the reason couch coop is dieing. Mostly because all of that is still possible without couch coop. You can play online all day with a copied disc if you want.
#36Enix BelmontPosted 12/18/2013 3:34:46 AM
BigBOOtoYOU2 posted...
Enix Belmont posted...
To be perfectly honest, last gen has probably been the gen I've spent the most time on couch co-op. More than the PS2 gen.

Considering online gaming wasn't really a thing in that era, I'd have to say you are very, very mistaken.

Like the other guy said, most games tended to just be single player. What great co-op games can you think of in the PS2 gen? Halo, Timesplitters, the Contra games, PSO, and nintendo's stuff is the only thing that comes to mind me really enjoying. On the other hand games like viewtiful joe 2's lack of co-op sticks out as a major disappointment.
---
'Come fight beside me,' I said to myself, and although it doesn't make sense, I held my own hand as a small sign of trust, and together I made my defense.
#37AvirosbPosted 12/18/2013 3:43:34 AM
dj___roll posted...
How is the local multiplayer an art form?
'Tis a figure of speech.
---
Console wars are like pissing contests. So yeah.
#38GotTruthPosted 12/18/2013 3:48:39 AM
Sorbetowulf posted...
krystyla posted...
Always remember add a TL;dr line

I'm not sure quite what that refers to. I don't start a lot of threads.

TL;DR is an indicator(or WARNING) of a pending influx of substantial information that will not be absorbable to the ILLITERATE or SEMI-Literate. Usually a "text phrase" used by the young that have not mastered basic reading comprehension. An innate inability to process more than three to five sentences at anytime. Usually a solid indicator that respondent is NOT given to reading ANY text for a period longer than 5 seconds as that is all their attention span is able to allow.
---
You know they call it main-stream? Its because a stream is shallow.
GT: BuzzKillingt0n
#39immortalwombatxPosted 12/18/2013 10:53:07 PM
To that guy who asked me killer instinct is easy to learn much easier than doa