Did Microsoft Make the Right Decisions in Changing DRM Policies?

#31aszsith(Topic Creator)Posted 12/19/2013 7:12:47 PM
aya469 posted...
Ragnoraok posted...
Foxx3k posted...
They should have changed it.

But it needed to be a half step back, rather than an about face and sprint.

they should have just taken out the 24 hour DRM check, and it would have been alright.

Or just instituted that you'd need to have the disc in drive if you missed the 24 hour check in or something along those lines.

This would be a solution I would be happy with.
---
You can put icing on a turd, but that doesn't make it a cupcake!
#32ElPolloDiablo87Posted 12/19/2013 7:17:41 PM
aszsith posted...
aya469 posted...
Ragnoraok posted...
Foxx3k posted...
They should have changed it.

But it needed to be a half step back, rather than an about face and sprint.

they should have just taken out the 24 hour DRM check, and it would have been alright.

Or just instituted that you'd need to have the disc in drive if you missed the 24 hour check in or something along those lines.

This would be a solution I would be happy with.

I always said the best way to do it would have been to have it function like they originally announced but have it revert to how it works now if you fail a 24 hour online check. So no discs necessary while online and sharing of your library with 10 friends, but once you go offline you need the disc and your library is no longer shareable. The only trouble with this is used game sales. You would pretty much have to require a one-time online activation of a used videogame.
---
Madre de Dios, es El Pollo Diablo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E28WrhpTzQA
#33aszsith(Topic Creator)Posted 12/19/2013 7:42:42 PM
ElPolloDiablo87 posted...

I always said the best way to do it would have been to have it function like they originally announced but have it revert to how it works now if you fail a 24 hour online check. So no discs necessary while online and sharing of your library with 10 friends, but once you go offline you need the disc and your library is no longer shareable. The only trouble with this is used game sales. You would pretty much have to require a one-time online activation of a used videogame.

The problem, as I see it, is that the PROPOSED method (online check-in OR disc in the drive required) could (and most likely would) result in the return of the dreaded Online Pass that everyone seemed to dislike. It didn't bother me, but I get the POV.

On the other hand, as it stands now, the console makers have no control and it is up to the pubs/devs to decide. They will/should decide to protect their profits any way they can. This could create a virtual Wild West with a variety of methods employed, which to me is worse than a uniform system where the only drawback is to supporters of the secondhand market.
---
You can put icing on a turd, but that doesn't make it a cupcake!
#34zombiabsolPosted 12/19/2013 8:52:57 PM
definitely a smart decision , but i dont think it matters..

i would have more respect for microsoft if they just stuck with their vision of the future.
---
3ds friend Code : 0044-3110-4468 Name: Slyabsol
Friend Safari= Pancham, meditite, breloom
#35FernieODSTPosted 12/19/2013 10:31:57 PM
biblejohn posted...

As for poor MS they got it wrong so badly, If they had gone ahead with a mandatory online console it would have been hit hard, so thumbs up for seeing into the future, cant have been easy to stand up and say "we were wrong"

This is what bugs me, after all the backlash from the poor choices they were making, I dont ever remember reading or watching anything where MS said "We were wrong". All I remember them is saying that the gamers werent ready for these changes.
---
I dont like MW2, i dont play MW2, so i dont go on the boards. Why do people who hate reach and dont play it post on the boards?
GT- Xxx1337Pr05n1p3r420666Xxx
#36RaRitsujunPosted 12/19/2013 10:35:32 PM
Xbone180'd.
---
18700 XBL Gamerscores | 39 PSN Platinums - Level 24 | 7101 AppleGC pts
Demon's Souls and DARK SOULS are the real videogames.
#37Ludwig Von 2Posted 12/19/2013 10:49:32 PM
As big an Xbox fan as I am, the original "plan" was downright ridiculous with all the restrictions they put. Now I can't see what would have happened if they had left that policy in place, but my guess is it wouldn't be doing nearly as well as it is now. So I at least give Microsoft for having the foresight to say, "hey this is a bad idea we shouldn't go through with it."
---
My luck works best when things are... random. Mat Cauthon from The Dragon Reborn
#38Spetsnaz420Posted 12/20/2013 3:18:45 AM
biblejohn posted...
As a PC/Steam user Im used to DRM,

I still dont like it, I still firmly believe that DRM hurts me more than the pirate its supposed to be targeting because it seems to me nothing can stop a determined hacker playing for free.

As for poor MS they got it wrong so badly, If they had gone ahead with a mandatory online console it would have been hit hard, so thumbs up for seeing into the future, cant have been easy to stand up and say "we were wrong"

Ill get my xbone on the 25th, If they had an option to go full DRM logging in every day Id probably take that option given the benefits that were on offer at that time.

In the end, despite me seeing the PS4 as the gamers choice and doing all the polls saying im not buying another console, iv caved in, its Christmas and I just cant stand that tiny little PS4 controller.

7 more sleeps till xbone day :)

Except MS never said they were wrong...they blamed us by saying we weren't ready for it, like we are simpletons that had no idea how amazing DRUM was going to be. Clearly we knew what it was and wanted nothing to do with it...in fact the intention to do so drove many loyal 360 gamers away from the brand. MS only showed most of us how out of touch with reality they are.
---
I don't conform to social convention
"Xbox people don't care about the truth, they only care about seamless multimedia streaming." - Stan Marsh