China To Get Xbox One In Late 2014. Big Success in Little China?

#1TBONE_OGPosted 12/16/2013 11:17:31 AM
http://kotaku.com/china-to-get-xbox-one-in-late-2014-says-some-chinese-ce-1484000666

China, the land where game consoles are currently still in a quasi-banned state, the console wars pretty much haven't started yet. Gray market imports of both PlayStation 4s and Xbox Ones are slowly trickling in, but it seems that, after all, the scales might tip in Microsoft's favour.

According to an article published by one of China's largest tech sites Sohu IT, Luo Jiangchun, CEO of online video service Funshion, revealed that the Xbox One will be available in China in 2014 during a marketing and advertising strategy meeting last week . Luo stressed that for 2014, Funshion will work on the Chinese version of the Xbox One. He also said that the company will also be ready to take on more video games-related advertisers.

BesTV that Microsoft launched a joint-venture with this past September.

Microsoft and BesTV have sunk a total of $79 million into the joint venture, which is based in the Shanghai Free Economic Zone. It's still unknown what fruit the partnership will bear, but in the same report by Sohu, there were rumors that Microsoft and BesTV were working on bringing over a watered-down version of the last-gen Xbox 360 to China. This China-fied 360 would have stronger online video capabilities and features while toning down the gaming aspects of the system.

Could this be a gamer changer? My thoughts, maybe. It all depends if the Chinese market is ready... but after the lift on the console ban -- they could be.
---
Always O.G.
#2MixorzPosted 12/16/2013 11:20:13 AM
The thing about Chinese games are tap hat an hour later you want to play again.
---
XBox Live GT: Mixorz
Favorite lift: Deadlift
#3JuuzhPosted 12/16/2013 11:20:48 AM
well since china doesn't like japan, they'll push the xbone for sure. and it's easier for them to keep track of their citizens.
---
PSN: Gidoza
WiiU: Gidoza
#4gogogodzillaPosted 12/16/2013 4:23:25 PM
Considering that China's internet is closely monitored... and that the average Chinese 'netizen' has sussed out multiple ways around their government's monitoring; I figure that any console that has the remotest stench of more surveillance will not be favorably received.

Of course, if it's the *ONLY* next-gen console sold, then it'll do fine, as there won't be any choice.
---
My Chicken says, "Cluck!"
#5TBONE_OG(Topic Creator)Posted 12/16/2013 4:28:45 PM
gogogodzilla posted...
Considering that China's internet is closely monitored... and that the average Chinese 'netizen' has sussed out multiple ways around their government's monitoring; I figure that any console that has the remotest stench of more surveillance will not be favorably received.

Of course, if it's the *ONLY* next-gen console sold, then it'll do fine, as there won't be any choice.

Fair point. But the Kinect doesn't spy at all, so it would be up to the customer to believe that or not. But hey, maybe China could use it to spy...

And yes, if it's the only the console available, then yeah -- done deal. I think it will be in terms of going to a store and picking one up. All the others would be import specially products would be my guess.
---
Always O.G.
#6nothingbeastPosted 12/16/2013 4:31:25 PM
Sorry, your subject title has me mindlessly quoting that movie trying to come up with an appropriate Jack Burton response and all I can come up with is

"Yes sir, the check is in the mail" *Bites sandwich*
---
~I was stomping goombas and saving princesses long before most of you were born.
#7DeadCeIIScoutPosted 12/16/2013 7:51:30 PM
Makes sense, Kinect is a good spying tool.
---
Game... 4ever.
http://images.latinospost.com/data/images/full/22543/amazon-poll.jpg?w=600
#8AltmadragonPosted 12/16/2013 8:02:19 PM
Juuzh posted...
well since china doesn't like japan, they'll push the xbone for sure. and it's easier for them to keep track of their citizens.

Doesn't apply to gamers since china's most popular worldwide games are Japanese.....

Besides nba2k.... I don't even understand how that's popular there...
---
Ha! Made you read |TJ07| i5-3570k| Asus p8z77-v| GB GTX 770 4gb sli|16gb Corsair veng| 1TB WD HDx2| 128gb Samsung ssd| XSPC Raystorm RS360 kit|
#9CourtofOwlsPosted 12/16/2013 8:27:23 PM
Altmadragon posted...
Juuzh posted...

Doesn't apply to gamers since china's most popular worldwide games are Japanese.....

Besides nba2k.... I don't even understand how that's popular there...

because basketball is pretty huge in china
---
[?]
Boycott Best Buy!
#10OZ_ArchangelPosted 12/16/2013 8:48:25 PM
Im surprised that they unbanned that console there out of Sony's. I mean with the kinect and all. A state ruled by an iron fist that gets angry at the slightest of things somehow let the nsa gadget get through? mind boggling
---
"Why do you hesitate to extend the power of Macedon - your power"-Alexander The Great