Why did they choose "Xbox One" instead of "Xbox 720?"

#71TJ_UNLIMITED(Topic Creator)Posted 12/22/2013 9:46:44 PM
Mistere Man posted...
Should have been

NeXt Box <(was trying for a Stand out X)

I actually like that name
---
PSN- TJ_UNLIMITED
Gamertag- TJ UNLIMIT3D
#72Evel138Posted 12/24/2013 8:34:41 AM
TJ_UNLIMITED posted...
Evel138 posted...
TJ_UNLIMITED posted...
Evel138 posted...
For much the same reason the last Xbox wasn't called "Xbox 2". The "Xbox 360" was named in concept. A "360" is a full revolution.

"Xbox One" is a conceptual name..not a numeric, chronological designation. Its the "One" device for all your livingroom entertainment.

Fair enough, but how many typical consumers you think would realize that when they hear "Xbox One?"

When you say "typical consumer" as to conjure an image of an apish buffoon incapable of discerning simple concepts.....you have a fair enough point IMHO.

Mind trying again, this time giving me an answer that's actually based on reality?

Sure. The "reality" is that the image of the "typical consumer" you paint (the OP being a case in point) apparently is not capable of understanding concepts such as "360" or "One". In that, you have a point.
---
GT/PSN: Evel138 Lucky Number
http://fav.me/d6gbf9y
#73Pacman2dxPosted 12/24/2013 8:50:26 AM
It does seem kinda odd especially because I read somewhere the reasoning behind the naming of the Xbox 360 was because MSFT didn't want the system to sound 'inferior' to the Playstation 3, even though it was their second console on the market -- this one does make sense though as they want it to be the only device in your living room that can handle all of your media consumption. I'm pretty sure they could have came up with a much better name though.
---
If you live through defeat, you're not defeated.
#74dnmtPosted 12/24/2013 8:51:06 AM
Pacman2dx posted...
It does seem kinda odd especially because I read somewhere the reasoning behind the naming of the Xbox 360 was because MSFT didn't want the system to sound 'inferior' to the Playstation 3, even though it was their second console on the market -- this one does make sense though as they want it to be the only device in your living room that can handle all of your media consumption. I'm pretty sure they could have came up with a much better name though.

Xbox Infinity.

You're welcome, MS.
#75Evel138Posted 12/24/2013 8:59:27 AM
Pacman2dx posted...
It does seem kinda odd especially because I read somewhere the reasoning behind the naming of the Xbox 360 was because MSFT didn't want the system to sound 'inferior' to the Playstation 3, even though it was their second console on the market --

However did they manage the Xbox against the PlayStation 2? The "not wanting to sound inferior" thing is supposition.

"360" represents three hundred sixty degrees.a full revolution.....as someone mention earlier ITT, literally mentioned in their marketing kit at the time.

Though again, I do fault MS for assuming ppl.....especially in the gaming community......have any particular acumen for thinking outside the box, so to speak.
---
GT/PSN: Evel138 Lucky Number
http://fav.me/d6gbf9y
#76zephirrainesPosted 12/24/2013 9:02:55 AM
How is this troll topic still going? Oh wait its trolling the xbox, no wonder the mods do nothing.
#77MetroidFan9999Posted 12/24/2013 9:06:24 AM
Because they are trying to make the same bet they made with the 360...well not really, they named the 360 such because it would market better with the PS3. But we all know 1 < 4 now, odd name choice no matter what.
---
Xbox One = Xbone = Crossbone = Jolly Roger.
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/mind_blown.gif
#78wian1997Posted 12/24/2013 3:04:56 PM
cos720=1 if you have math you should get this one
#79pwnater777Posted 12/24/2013 3:05:35 PM
MS can't count.
---
"That's NASCAR tactics."
#80welder7Posted 12/24/2013 6:21:25 PM
MS failed at naming their new console.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: when the most commonly used and accepted nickname for your brand new $500 console is 'XBone,' you have failed epically at naming said console.