Was the 360 or PS3 the JRPG console, and do you think it change new gen?

#21monkeyluv101Posted 12/20/2013 3:21:05 PM
krystyla posted...
NeroXV posted...
Ps3 had Persona 5, Tales of Graces, Tales of Xillia 1&2, Ni no kuni, Disgaea 3 and 4, and Demon Souls, KH1.5 & 2.5 and WKC 1&2 and more...

The Xbox 360 paled in comparison to ps3 with jrpgs, and will pale even more once Persona 5, KH2.5 and Disgaea 5 comes out

I agree that PS3 tops the 360 that's undebateable but the DS/3DS tops both

Truth, my jrpg library for DS, 3DS and will add PSP is staggering. I have 20+ jrpgs for those while only 2 for ps3 this entire gen and 1 for 360.
#22TerraUniversePosted 12/21/2013 6:45:05 PM(edited)
NeroXV posted...
Ps3 had Persona 5, Tales of Graces, Tales of Xillia 1&2, Ni no kuni, Disgaea 3 and 4, and Demon Souls, KH1.5 & 2.5 and WKC 1&2 and more...

The Xbox 360 paled in comparison to ps3 with jrpgs, and will pale even more once Persona 5, KH2.5 and Disgaea 5 comes out

This is what I was talking about. Microsoft's Lost Odyssey, I think is better then all of those games you listed. The production values of most of these PS3 games are lower. Lost Odyssey was specifically commissioned for the Xbox 360 to be a big hit JRPG.

Persona 5 is just now announced, Tales of Graces was a Wii game, and Tales of Graces f was just a game that was ported to the PS3 and had a good story, but it's still a Wii game and it was made with a limited budget, Tales of Xillia games look good, but they're recent games. Ni No Kuni is probably the best example of developers trying to expand upon the world of anime, but again, it came out close to the PS4/Xbox1 launch. Ni No Kuni is probably the nicest JRPG, but it's mainly because it's a game that looks like it could be a Studio Ghibli film. Disgaea 3 and Disgaea 4 have graphics and gameplay style that came from the PS2 or even PS1 games. These games are definitely low budget. Demon's Souls was definitely a great exclusive PS3 game, and a great game because of the difficulty and challenge of the game. There aren't many games that offer that big of a challenge. Kingdom Hearts 1.5 is an HD collection game, and White Knight Chronicles has a short single player. Online is what it's more about.

It's weird to me because, when Xbox 360 had these RPG's and Japanese games coming out, nobody got the Xbox 360. Now they're finally releasing these cartoon-y, low-production-value games and to me, they're okay, but they still feel like ports of games that come from niche markets in Japan. Microsoft at least made an effort to come out with unique game titles, not just JRPG's.

We'll see what Microsoft has in store for Xbox 1 in their Japan release.
#232ndAtomiskPosted 12/21/2013 6:45:33 PM
NeroXV posted...

PS3 confirmed as time machine!
---
I'm gonna cut out your eyes and piss in the ****ing sockets! ~ Kaine
#24Bleachfreak7Posted 12/21/2013 6:48:58 PM
The 360 had jrpgs?
---
"Time never waits. It delivers all equally to the same end."
3DS: 3437-3085-0365
#25ProcyanPosted 12/21/2013 7:03:07 PM
Some of these responses are strange. Sure PS3 had some... awkward JRPGs, but they've also had quite a few "normal" JRPGs. In Japan they got Vesperia, and here in the states we got Graces F and Xillia. That trend is continuing with Xillia 2 and Symphonia Chronicles, plus Persona 5. Also, Disgaea.
---
PSN and XBL: CloudStrife768 - Send me a msg if you want to add me, blank requests will be deleted
3DS FC: 4511 - 1054 - 7640
#26TerraUniversePosted 12/24/2013 6:42:06 PM
Procyan posted...
Some of these responses are strange. Sure PS3 had some... awkward JRPGs, but they've also had quite a few "normal" JRPGs. In Japan they got Vesperia, and here in the states we got Graces F and Xillia. That trend is continuing with Xillia 2 and Symphonia Chronicles, plus Persona 5. Also, Disgaea.

It's good to see that they're now releasing new JRPG's, but it took awhile to come out. Also, Symphonia Chronicles is a remake, Tales of Graces f is a remake, and I do like Xillia, but do you really think Persona 5 or Xillia 2 is trying to be epic like Final Fantasy? I still think Final Fantasy 13, for example, was probably the best JRPG on the PS3. Ni No Kuni is probably the other epic JRPG that I could think of.