Launch Games That Focus On Production Value Over Gameplay

#1aszsithPosted 12/18/2013 12:14:13 AM
How do you feel about launch games like Ryse that are focused on production value over gameplay? - Results (33 votes)
It's a game. You play it. Gameplay is obviously most important regardless of when it is released.
36.36% (12 votes)
Gameplay is important. You expect it to be playable but cut launch titles some slack because they are pretty.
6.06% (2 votes)
If entertaining and playable, I don't mind an interactive cartoon as a launch title.
24.24% (8 votes)
It's a launch title. If it is pretty it gets a free pass.
3.03% (1 votes)
They are a smart business strategy as they are games that can be used to showcase the system.
21.21% (7 votes)
blahblahblah....troll....bridge....there....>>>>>>>>
9.09% (3 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Every console launch there are early titles that seem to be focused on having high production values rather than well designed gameplay. They often end up being short on mechanics, variety, and in length. Some turn out to be little more than interactive cartoons. Games like King Kong on 360, Heavenly Sword on PS3, and most recently Ryse on XBOne come to mind.

How do you feel about a game that is more style than substance?

Personally, I'm willing to take a chance on a launch title that has ambition and if it falls short I'm willing to forgive it so long as entertaining to sit through. With the 3 games listed above, I found them all to be meet that lone criteria because of their high production values. They also tend to be good choices to use in the early marketing of the games to showcase that "new" hardware glow.
---
You can put icing on a turd, but that doesn't make it a cupcake!
#2TenzhiPosted 12/18/2013 12:19:20 AM
I don't mind style as long as it's stylish. Ryse is blander than plain oatmeal. And it likes you to slow down and take a moment to really look closely at all that bad clipping it's passing off as stab wounds.
---
Cheating has gone hand-in-hand with gaming for centuries. Video games in particular often have cheats built right into the game.
#3HUIPosted 12/18/2013 12:26:35 AM
I don't mind. The lion's share of all entertainment pretty awful. But, there are people who love high production value regardless of substance. Some readers like flowery dialog and heavily described details in their novels, even if the story lacks turns and resolutions. So, it's understandable there would be a video game equivalent. This is how Michael Bay continues to get work.
#4CyberneticRatPosted 12/18/2013 12:30:26 AM
I loved King Kong on the 360. I thought playing as two protagonists and having a sort of 'survival' aspect to it was very cool.

Ryse I haven't played it yet though I have been watching videos and it looks like the type of game I'd like. The game is sort of divisive though. Some people think it's terrible while others think it's a cool fun game. My opinion most likely falls to the latter.
---
Gamer Tag: MANNKILLER83
Proud Supporter of The Wonderbolts
#5aszsith(Topic Creator)Posted 12/19/2013 10:04:13 AM
I was hoping for more discussion. It beats the sales number and hdd size topics....
---
#6likematchesPosted 12/19/2013 10:15:37 AM
Actually, a Ryse let's play sold me on the X1.

Feel free to keep Action games like DMC, I vastly prefer this type.
---
"Tanks just can't handle my MASSIVE DPS! I'm not even trying and IT IS ALREADY SO HUGE!!!"
#72ndAtomiskPosted 12/19/2013 10:15:42 AM
As long as it's entertaining I don't mind it too much. Granted I won't pay full price for it, but I don't hate it. I actually liked Heavenly Sword. It's not the greatest game ever but I found it fun. And watching trailers and such prior to release it at leas looked fun to play. Ryse looks boring though.

But I will give it a shot one day. It scored higher in GI than I anticipated, so whenever Redbox gets it or something I'll play it. If I like it, I'll buy it.
---
I'm gonna cut out your eyes and piss in the ****ing sockets! ~ Kaine
#8scoobydoobydontPosted 12/19/2013 10:15:48 AM
I still like King Kong and Heavenly Sword, and I never liked Ryse, and I'd argue a large number on non-launch titles rely on visuals over gameplay (anything from Quantic Dream for example). Everything in its right place, get in where you fit in, different strokes for different folks, et cetera.

I also find the "gameplay is all that matters" crowd repugnant. These aren't board games, they aren't *just* about gameplay. It's a wide and varying medium that can do different things. IIRC there was a Sega Saturn game that was nothing but sound. There are text adventures. There are interactive movies. There is room enough in the industry and on digital store shelves for everyone to get what they want.
---
"I don't hate people, I just feel better when they're not around." - Charles Bukowski
#9TheApd_ReturnsPosted 12/19/2013 10:23:27 AM
Ryse definitely deserves the higher reviews (7/10s) than the ridiculous ones (3/10s). You can tell who played it for 10 minutes and who played it on the harder diffs and actually tried to go for high multipliers. The execution system is 'optional', but to master the game you have to learn to read the animations, which I think is novel, and you won't survive on Legendary as enemies don't take turns attacking you like in Assassin's Creed.
---
XBL: MauryPov1ch ... BF4 (PC): Chollima ... Steam: callmaury
3DS: 1907-9236-7818
#10aszsith(Topic Creator)Posted 12/19/2013 1:46:22 PM
scoobydoobydont posted...
I still like King Kong and Heavenly Sword, and I never liked Ryse, and I'd argue a large number on non-launch titles rely on visuals over gameplay (anything from Quantic Dream for example). Everything in its right place, get in where you fit in, different strokes for different folks, et cetera.

I also find the "gameplay is all that matters" crowd repugnant. These aren't board games, they aren't *just* about gameplay. It's a wide and varying medium that can do different things. IIRC there was a Sega Saturn game that was nothing but sound. There are text adventures. There are interactive movies. There is room enough in the industry and on digital store shelves for everyone to get what they want.

I agree completely. Gameplay is important, of course. But the product is a complete package. I doubt a game with the tightest controls in the world and most refined gameplay ever seen would be played by many if it only featured stick figures on crayon backgrounds drawn by monkeys.

The total package is what entertains, not just one single aspect.
---