Just got my xbox one, still have a black screen

#1Blazefire_Posted 12/18/2013 4:52:30 PM
I'm not sure if this is the setup process.. Turned the console on, had the green screen for 10-50 minutes then it turned to a black scree and it's been looking like that for around 30 minutes.. what gives?
---
XBL GT: Lethal234
#2axelfooley2k5Posted 12/18/2013 4:54:05 PM
brokebackmountain720p
---
Kramerica Industries
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icDXNHF-oEw
#3lionheart__Posted 12/18/2013 4:59:58 PM
It will black screen for awhile but if it's more than 30 minutes I would contact CS, even though they are of generally no help at all.

If you think your console is broken go to myservice.xbox.com and set up a replacement.
#4Blazefire_(Topic Creator)Posted 12/18/2013 5:00:28 PM
lionheart__ posted...
It will black screen for awhile but if it's more than 30 minutes I would contact CS, even though they are of generally no help at all.

If you think your console is broken go to myservice.xbox.com and set up a replacement.

Alright I'll wait until 7:30 and then check it out.
---
#5A_Hairy_WafflePosted 12/18/2013 5:05:29 PM
Once you've waited, if nothing happens try this:

"Recently, actually about 5 minutes ago, I ran into this problem. After scouring forums I came across an article describing the same issue.
There seem to be two types of "The Black Screen of Death".
Keep in mind that neither of the types are hardware disabling if handled correctly!!!

-Straight to black screen. (The logo doesn't show because the Xbox starts up in quick mode. Not good when trying to fix a console that won't start up properly!)

-Start-up logo, then to black screen. (Only happens when the Xbox has been off for a prolonged amount of time, has been unplugged, or manually shut-down completely.)

First, check to make sure there is ABSOLUTELY no disc inside the One. For some reason, this can be causing a start-up malfunction.
If there is no disc in the drive turn your machine on and wait a few moments. If it goes to the black screen hold the Xbox button on the front of the console for 5 seconds until it shuts down. Wait 30 seconds then turn your Xbox back on. You should see the green logo screen and be welcomed back to your Xbox in a minute or two.

If the above option doesn't work: You can check to make sure your HDMI cable isn't faulty. Do this by shutting-down completely (Holding the power button for 5 seconds) and then restart by HOLDING both the power button and the eject button simultaneously. This will boot the system in a low-resolution mode.

If this works: You most likely have a faulty HDMI cable and should replace it immediately - OR - Your Xbox and TV are incompatible! :( (Don't worry, this probably isn't the case if you've started it up before!) If this doesn't work: Replace the HDMI cable anyway / Try to use the HDMI chord with another device, i.e laptop, desktop, DVD player, etc.

And last but not least, shut down the Xbox completely, then start it up using the EJECT button instead of the power button.

Things to note:

-Do not panic! The "Black Screen of Death" is only a minor problem, don't let the name scare you!
-If none of the options above work, be patient. Perhaps letting your Xbox relax for a while will aid the above options in their duties.
-Once again, MAKE SURE THERE IS NO DISC IN THE DISC TRAY (This was my problem)!!!!
-Do not start up using "Xbox on" or the controller. Using the power button is always the best way, until you have your issue resolved that is.
-Unplugging the machine and letting it rest for a few minutes may also help.

I almost had a heart attack when I read this thread and saw NO REAL ANSWERS. I'm very happy I got mine to work, and I hope yours gets fixed as well!
If it works thank me after you play some kick-*** Xbox!!!

~Regards"

Maybe it'll get the problem sorted.
#6lionheart__Posted 12/18/2013 5:09:12 PM
A_Hairy_Waffle posted...
First, check to make sure there is ABSOLUTELY no disc inside the One. For some reason, this can be causing a start-up malfunction.
-Once again, MAKE SURE THERE IS NO DISC IN THE DISC TRAY (This was my problem)!!!!

Why in the hell would you want to keep one that can't start up with a disk in the tray, sounds like a good way to prolong the inevitable death.
#7A_Hairy_WafflePosted 12/18/2013 5:11:03 PM
lionheart__ posted...
A_Hairy_Waffle posted...

Why in the hell would you want to keep one that can't start up with a disk in the tray, sounds like a good way to prolong the inevitable death.

Couldn't tell ya. I don't have one. That's from a thread in the xbox forums.
#8Blazefire_(Topic Creator)Posted 12/18/2013 5:11:21 PM
This is actually the first time I'm setting up my xbox one though and I haven't even got to the part where I insert a disc or even hook it up to my tv. It was just turned on for the first time, xbox green logo screen fro 10 minutes, now a black screen

I think your solutions refer to post-setup and after you've been using your XBONE for a while
---
#9A_Hairy_WafflePosted 12/18/2013 5:25:44 PM(edited)
Okay maybe try this instead if nothing happens:

"As a result, weíve compiled this little guide here that may be helpful for you if youíre having some trouble with blank screens when trying to boot up your brand-spanking-new Xbox One.

First of all, you have to ensure that your HDMI cable is functioning. A lot of times this is the area where the trouble arises. Check to see whether it works if you plug it into another HDMI port on your TV and check if it works if you attack it with another machine like a laptop or an Xbox 360.

After thatís been confirmed, thereís a possibility that the problem lies in some sort of incompatibility between the Xbox One and your TV. Try the following test. Shut down the console by holding the power button for five seconds until the light goes out. Also make sure thereís no disk inside it.

After thatís done, turn it on by holding the power button and the Eject button simultaneously until you hear a beep. This will boot your console in a low resolution mode (640 ◊ 480) which will hopefully show something on the screen.

From there you can fiddle with the video settings to make it work properly."

Just trying to find any solutions. I know how much it sucks to get something nice and have it act up immediately.
#10GiarccpsnPosted 12/18/2013 5:31:37 PM
I got a black screen too when i setup my One, then i noticed my TV had shut off.
Turned TV back on, problem solved. lol
---
PSN ID: JoeKnightt
XboxLive GT: JoeKnightt