The whole 1080p issue is just a couple of launch titles, right?

#91SolisPosted 12/19/2013 4:31:00 PM
Millertime660 posted...
Solis posted...
mahgah91 posted...
The issue is that the Xbox One's architecture is new and developers need to get used to it. It's also less powerful than the PS4, but that shouldn't be a factor until late into both console's life. By then, developers should have figured out how to optimize well enough on the Xbox One to get 1080p consistently.

It has nothing to do with optimization, and the Xbox One's performance is obviously a factor right from the start.

Nothing to do with optimization? You cant actually believe that?

I believe it because it's true. Any game can be made 1080p even with terrible optimization. It would just require either the game's performance or processing demands to be reduced.

Optimization has never had a direct correlation to resolution. For example, the PS3 launched with two 1080p native games: Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Ridge Racer 7. Neither game was nearly as well optimized as later games for the system which only ran at 720p, such as The Last Of Us or Killzone 3. What determines resolution is something entirely different.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#92DreDayyPosted 12/19/2013 8:33:34 PM
consolers arguing about 900p, and im sitting here playing @ 1600p glorious.
---
|i7 4770k|Gigabyte UD4h|8gb RAM|GTX 780 Lightning|Samsung 840 Evo 256/ 830 128gb|Crucial M4 128gb|3TB WD Black|540 Air|AX 850|h100I|
#93garcia_jxPosted 12/19/2013 9:44:53 PM
Kupo_Mog_Kupo posted...
mahgah91 posted...
The issue is that the Xbox One's architecture is new and developers need to get used to it. It's also less powerful than the PS4, but that shouldn't be a factor until late into both console's life. By then, developers should have figured out how to optimize well enough on the Xbox One to get 1080p consistently.

Mostly this. From what I've heard the Xbox One has a higher learning curve to develop for than PS4. I'm sure if developers had enough time all of the launch games could have been 1080p. NBA2K14 looks amazing and it is 1080p. So it can clearly handle impressive games at 1080p.

Not saying all future games are going to be 1080p though. Just that the percentage should be better going forward than it was for launch.

Of course the Xbox One can achieve 1080p, but sacrifices will have to be made in order to achieve that, more so than the ps4. Forza 5 is an example. Plus,I don't think 1080p means better graphics? Isn't RYSE the best looking launch game, but it only runs @ 900p or something? Forza is 1080p, but I don't really feel floored by the graphics.
#94Sin_Angelus_Posted 12/19/2013 10:50:02 PM
Solis posted...
Hardware capabilities are a much more objective factor than a person "arguably" thinking a game is the best looking.

Hardware capabilities are irrelevant if popular opinion says the game looks the best. It's what you do with the hardware, and that's been an objective truth as long as video games have existed. Results are what matter, not specs.

Solis posted...
And most multi-platforms have shown a clear disadvantage on the Xbox One, but that's not really directly related to the issue of this topic anyway.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-12-05-assassins-creed-4-hex-format-comparison-gallery

I'm not seeing any clear disadvantage, looks pretty much the same to me. Anyway my point is that even though some games don't hit 1080p they make up for it in other ways, Ryse being a perfect example. In that sense the 1080p issue, or lack thereof, isn't really an issue.
#95dnmtPosted 12/19/2013 11:56:17 PM
Sin_Angelus_ posted...
Solis posted...
Hardware capabilities are a much more objective factor than a person "arguably" thinking a game is the best looking.

Hardware capabilities are irrelevant if popular opinion says the game looks the best. It's what you do with the hardware, and that's been an objective truth as long as video games have existed. Results are what matter, not specs.

Solis posted...
And most multi-platforms have shown a clear disadvantage on the Xbox One, but that's not really directly related to the issue of this topic anyway.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-12-05-assassins-creed-4-hex-format-comparison-gallery

I'm not seeing any clear disadvantage, looks pretty much the same to me. Anyway my point is that even though some games don't hit 1080p they make up for it in other ways, Ryse being a perfect example. In that sense the 1080p issue, or lack thereof, isn't really an issue.

AC4 is one of the worst examples you could've come up with. Half the resolution is one thing, the Xbone's upscaler sharpening the crap out of everything and crushing blacks is another-- and they both contribute to a relatively poor picture. It may not be as noticeable in a vacuum but compared to the PS4 or PC versions there's a clear difference. As for Ryse, yes it's a good looking game but even at 900p it struggles to maintain its 30fps, often dropping down to 15-20fps in intense combat. Meanwhile the PS4 runs BF4 at 900p with its 60fps is locked tight even in the most insane circumstances, and you know how insane BF4 can get.
#96ATARIJAWAPosted 12/20/2013 2:55:54 AM(edited)
Both consoles use an APU consisting of AMD's tablet cpu paired with a downclocked laptop graphics card that's had some cores disabled. There's going to be very few games this gen that reach 1080p 60 fps even a few years down the road with optimization. The hardware just isn't strong enough. Both Sony and Microsoft were unwilling to take much of a loss on each console sold so went with less powerful hardware than they could have. The games look pretty good considering what they have to work with.
---
Gamefaqs game rating system : 10 = Best Game Ever. 8-9. Crushing dissapointment. Below 8 :Total Garbage. This is getting ridiculous. people agreeing so far 107
#97krystylaPosted 12/20/2013 2:51:32 AM
ATARIJAWA posted...
Both consoles use an APU consisting of a AMD's tablet cpu paired with a downlocked laptop graphics card that's had some cores disabled. There's going to be very few games this gen that reach 1080p 60 fps even a few years down the road with optimization. The hardware just isn't strong enough. Both Sony and Microsoft were unwilling to take much of a loss on each console sold so went with less powerful hardware than they could have. The games look pretty good considering what they have to work with.

Awesome sig can make it 108
---
FC: 4227 - 1514- 7752 IGN:Mara
PSN: JudasInHell Gamertag: Crystyn 7B
#98SolisPosted 12/20/2013 4:44:40 AM
Sin_Angelus_ posted...

But typical results are largely dependent on specs. No amount of optimization could make PS2 games look as good as Splinter Cell Chaos Theory or Doom 3 on the Xbox. And the PS3 suffered majorly in many multiplatform games, especially early on, even though "popular opinion" suggested that the system was more powerful. Specs are absolutely a major factor when it comes to the results you get from a system.

The PS4 version runs at a 44% higher resolution in that game actually, which is very significant and quite visible in the screenshots. The Xbox One version doesn't "make up" for it in any way, it's just flat out inferior in that case. Particularly with the aforementioned sharpening filter in place on the Xbox One version gives it a terribly artificial look to it. Here's a good example of what kind of affect a lower resolution mixed with the poor scaling format has:

http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/articles//a/1/6/3/8/6/0/5/PS4_016.jpg.jpg
http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/articles//a/1/6/3/8/6/0/5/XO_016.jpg.jpg

Subtle details are already being muddled (the edges around foliage especially), but the ropes on the ship are turned into a distorted mass of pixels that you can't even recognize in the Xbox One version. And hell, even if you don't notice the disadvantage, that does not mean none exists.

1080p alone isn't the issue, but it's one aspect in a combination of elements that results in a worse experience.

ATARIJAWA posted...
Both consoles use an APU consisting of AMD's tablet cpu paired with a downclocked laptop graphics card that's had some cores disabled. There's going to be very few games this gen that reach 1080p 60 fps even a few years down the road with optimization. The hardware just isn't strong enough. Both Sony and Microsoft were unwilling to take much of a loss on each console sold so went with less powerful hardware than they could have. The games look pretty good considering what they have to work with.

Calling it a "downclocked laptop graphics card" is pretty irrelevant when a laptop with that quality of graphics card would be comparable to a gaming class desktop anyway. Of course games can hit 1080p at 60FPS if they wanted to, but it would obviously require a tradeoff in other areas. No matter how powerful the hardware is, targeting a higher resolution and framerate will always reduce the rendering resources available for other aspects. Doubling or even tripling the hardware specs wouldn't make 1080p/60FPS the norm a few years down the line when those resources could be put towards other things instead.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#99Sin_Angelus_Posted 12/20/2013 11:09:17 AM
dnmt posted...
Meanwhile the PS4 runs BF4 at 900p with its 60fps is locked tight even in the most insane circumstances, and you know how insane BF4 can get.

And COD Ghosts runs better on X1, and looks virtually identical to PS4. Results will vary between developers, it's clearly an optimization issue and not a hardware one.

Solis posted...
Specs are absolutely a major factor when it comes to the results you get from a system.

Major factor, but not the determining one. Otherwise PS3 multi-plats would have all been superior due to it's superior specs.

Solis posted...
The PS4 version runs at a 44% higher resolution in that game actually, which is very significant and quite visible in the screenshots.

I disagree. Most screenshots are indistinguishable. The one you posted makes the PS4 version look more blurry and the X1 more pixelated, both disadvantages in their own way. Neither is clearly superior.

Solis posted...
And hell, even if you don't notice the disadvantage, that does not mean none exists.

And you merely stating there is one doesn't make it exist either. Ryse is still the best looking next-gen game or at least in contention, which brings me back to my original point. The 1080p issue is a non-issue until we start seeing significant differences in games.
#100Juzten76Posted 12/20/2013 11:13:20 AM
Anyone here into gameplay? That's what I like. Fun games.