what does 1080p mean in terms of graphics?

#21knightimexPosted 12/20/2013 9:34:42 AM
triple s posted...
knightimex posted...
A good resolution makes any game far more enjoyable.
Jaggies kill all the fun.
Regardless of the quality of graphics.

720p resolution looks good as long as there is a solid level of AA present.
Anything below 720p progressively looks more and more disgusting with each event that has no AA involved.

This is why the majority of Xbox 360 games are borderline unplayable.

Jaggies don't kill the fun...

Obviously the better the resolution, the better the image clarity but unlike the PC, on the consoles you're usually sacrificing something to obtain the higher resolution.

That's true, but I'll take resolution over graphics...
To an extent.

Even though PC is obviously going to do better, I'm very VERY content with what PS4 offers.
---
I spanked you as a baby, I'll spank you now. B****!
-Evil Betty
#22Emerald_MeliosPosted 12/21/2013 6:20:07 AM
knightimex posted...
Manservice posted...
Graphical fidelity=/=resolution

knightimex posted...

Anything below 720p progressively looks more and more disgusting with each event that has no AA involved.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Of course I know what I'm talking about, you just happen at accept mediocrity better than me.

It's a shame gamers like you are helping push the industry to the next crash.
#23RagnarokxvPosted 12/21/2013 7:23:55 AM
People honestly didn't understand resolution and frame rate before the XBOX1 came out? Still don't?
---
Did I say that, or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me??
#24Juzten76Posted 12/21/2013 7:39:48 AM
1080p doesn't mean jack in terms of graphics. The resolution of these games is so high that the differences you see in graphic quality will have nothing to do with it. What matters is the polygon count, the lighting, and the frame rate. I was a PC gamer for 20 years and once you get up there in resolution, the only difference is in your head. A game with poor lighting, low polygons, and a crappy framerate still looks like crap no matter what resolution you view it at.
#25TheGam3925Posted 12/21/2013 7:43:04 AM
If you have two versions of the same game, one 1080p and the other 720p, the 1080p version is superior.
---
360 - The Game 925
PSN - TheGame925
#26RyzekiPosted 12/21/2013 9:29:11 AM
1080p graphics simply mean the resolution at which the image is being displayed. Higher resolution allows more details to be perceived, and allows better FOVs depending on games, draw distances by which you can discern better backgrounds, less jaggies as objects are shown and composed on far more pixels.

Now. On its own, it is simply.... more detail. That's it. You could see that as a cleaner or sharper image of sorts.

There are other small tidbits of higher es, as of now, and that is that some effects/textures and algorithms are bound by screen resolution. Lower resolution sometimes results in degraded visuals on almost non related objects, loosing detail as mentioned. This is not always the case, and you can see lower res textures on high res images, but high res textures on lower res screen don't have much benefit due to actual screen res being capped.

Now, if you are playing a game with a small FOV like CoD games or many games as of late, you will still be able to get a very good picture despite the lower resolution. Often resulting in noticing the jaggies rather than muddier or non-detailed imagery.

Games that pride themselves in detail and IQ will benefit from higher res. You can see that in Forza.
---
Core i7 4700MQ | | 16GB DDR3L || 128GB SSD + 1TB || GTX780M OC
#27Gmoney-Posted 12/21/2013 9:31:32 AM
ACIV on PS4 may be the first actual graphic'd game on a console to have no Jaggies because of the 1080P and AA.

It's beautiful seriously.

And I love my Xbox too so don't call me a troll please.

Actually, I think the PS4 is the better game machine... But if I had a choice of which first over again id choose my Xbox. Love the voice swapping and gimmicks haha.
---
"Nothing is true.Everything is permitted."
#28Masterchief5525Posted 12/22/2013 5:03:36 PM
knightimex posted...
Manservice posted...
Graphical fidelity=/=resolution

knightimex posted...

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Of course I know what I'm talking about, you just happen at accept mediocrity better than me.

No actually you have no clue, why don't you go educate yourself before coming onto forums and acting like you even know a thing or two.
---
i7-4770k | AMD Radeon HD 7990 | 8gb G.Skill 1600mhz | 2TB WD HDD | Asus Z87-A
#29RaRitsujunPosted 12/22/2013 6:15:59 PM
It means you don't get Xbone720p'd.
---
18700 XBL Gamerscores | 40 PSN Platinums - Level 24 | 7101 AppleGC pts
Demon's Souls and DARK SOULS are the real videogames.