Annoyed by exclusive content

#1FeatherwindPosted 12/20/2013 5:06:57 AM
Do you think exclusives justify the existence of video game consoles? It is common to present console exclusives as a reason why you should buy a particular console, but there is rarely any good reason presented for the exclusivity. Indeed most of the time it seems like a marketing trick - the console manufacturer pays the developers to limit their game to only one platform. I don't see how porting a game like Dead Rising 3 to other platforms wouldn't be financially advantageous if this "blackmail factor" was not considered.

Some say that competition is good for the industry but it seems that this type of cutthroat competition actually just divides the game library and forces people to buy electronics they don't need or want because of the artificial limitations.
---
pathological
#2Cosmic_DiabeticPosted 12/20/2013 5:12:19 AM
Halo was the reason I switched from PS2 to Xbox 360 instead of PS3. That and the boomerang controller they revealed with the PS3 scared me so badly that I didn't pay attention to gaming news and just made up in my mind to never get the PS3 and didn't realize they went back to the traditional controller after other people had the same idea as me
---
"i've had sex with a chick who was a psy major, so yeah i think i know what aspergers is" -LiquidFuze180
#3desert_santaPosted 12/20/2013 5:20:01 AM
Exclusives are my bread and butter. I would not even bother with some systems if not for them.
#4Featherwind(Topic Creator)Posted 12/20/2013 5:23:33 AM
desert_santa posted...
Exclusives are my bread and butter. I would not even bother with some systems if not for them.

Isn't this a problem? You buy gaming electronics you don't need or want just because you want to play an exclusive, but theoretically you could also play that exclusive game on the gaming hardware you want if this annoying marketing strategy was not so widely used.
---
pathological
#5desert_santaPosted 12/20/2013 5:42:01 AM(edited)
Featherwind posted...
desert_santa posted...

Isn't this a problem? You buy gaming electronics you don't need or want just because you want to play an exclusive, but theoretically you could also play that exclusive game on the gaming hardware you want if this annoying marketing strategy was not so widely used.

It definitely turns out to be more expensive. I don't feel cheated if I wait for good deals, or if said system has enough worthwhile exclusives.

So far the only system I find questionable for me is my vita But it's not like the handheld is anywhere near finished. Plenty of time for it to pick up steam. Plus it was nine months ago when I was questioning the wisdom of owning a wii u.

Getting my xbone in one hour. Is it worth buying now? Probably not, but I hope it will be worth it in the long run also.

Isn't this how every competitor behaves? Take satellite or cable companies. They try to grab certain movies or tv shows first hoping you will sign up with them.
#6ElPolloDiablo87Posted 12/20/2013 5:42:45 AM
Exclusives are great. They justify the existence of more than one system, and having more than one system creates competition.
---
Madre de Dios, es El Pollo Diablo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E28WrhpTzQA
#7IzraeilPosted 12/20/2013 5:48:07 AM(edited)
This view makes no sense. People buy consoles to play games, The only significant way for a company to sell it's consoles is to provide games. And the biggest reason for a person to choose one console over the other or both is the games only that console will provide.

Exclusives will not cease to exist as long as there are consoles for even if there was only one console all games would be exclusive to that console. Now if you have a proposal which can break this cycle please share it, otherwise your whining is a waste of internet.
#8IzraeilPosted 12/20/2013 5:47:34 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#9Featherwind(Topic Creator)Posted 12/20/2013 6:14:34 AM
Izraeil posted...
This view makes no sense. People buy consoles to play games, The only significant way for a company to sell it's consoles is to provide games. And the biggest reason for a person to choose one console over the other or both is the games only that console will provide.

My point is that the "biggest reason" is in fact an artificial reason that should not exist. The physical properties of a console should be biggest reason.

Different electronics have different properties, cost and capabilities. Instead of selling just electronics and people buying those electronics based on their capabilities and properties, the current console manufacturers sell artificial "packages" of hardware and software. The reason I say artificial is because it would make financial sense to make most (perhaps not 100%, but most) software to run on many different kinds of hardware if they did not this marketing trick.
---
pathological
#10nableetPosted 12/20/2013 6:23:00 AM
As a customer, I really dislike exclusive games.

I have no intention of getting a PS3, so all the exclusives have been lost to me. even if the PS3 was dirt cheap, I would still feel disgruntled about having to buy one - Maybe I am just tight, or too lazy to set up another system.

This gen (PS4/Xbone) I will also only get one so, as a gamer, I miss out on these games too.

I can understand why businesses do it, I can't understand why gamers support it though.
---
GT - Tyfighta23 PSN - N/A