Annoyed by exclusive content

#11ElPolloDiablo87Posted 12/20/2013 6:28:34 AM(edited)
nableet posted...
As a customer, I really dislike exclusive games.

I have no intention of getting a PS3, so all the exclusives have been lost to me. even if the PS3 was dirt cheap, I would still feel disgruntled about having to buy one - Maybe I am just tight, or too lazy to set up another system.

This gen (PS4/Xbone) I will also only get one so, as a gamer, I miss out on these games too.

I can understand why businesses do it, I can't understand why gamers support it though.

I'm in the same boat, but I really don't feel like I missed out on much by only having one console. I had plenty of games to play and enjoy with just my 360, and I don't think I'd have had time to really play all the PS3 games as well. I think it's great because the competition between systems makes the games and services offered better. Take a look at PSN. The only reason that it's a halfway decent service is because Sony spent this past generation desperately attempting to catch up to XBL. If XBL hadn't been there to be the proverbial carrot on the stick, online gaming on Playstation would probably not be where it is today.
---
Madre de Dios, es El Pollo Diablo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E28WrhpTzQA
#12Featherwind(Topic Creator)Posted 12/20/2013 7:03:37 AM(edited)
Even if there were no exclusivity deals gaming consoles would still compete with each other. The console manufacturers should focus on creating the best possible consoles with gamers choosing the console that is physically the best device for them (best cost-performance ratio perhaps, or best performance, best looking case and so on). Right now they spend money and effort on cutthroat trickery like this. Even if you don't think the PS3 is a good gaming device and you already have a gaming device that should be capable of running MGS you must buy one if you want to play.

And what makes this artificial is that the interest in MGS has nothing to with the PS3. I'm 99.99% sure it would have been financially viable to port it on PC and Xbox 360 if Sony's "blackmail" was not taken into account. Indeed the previous MGS games used to be on other platforms too.

In fact I'd say that exlusivity deals are actually used to kill competition. It matters less whether gamers think your console is a good device when you can try to coerce them into buying it with trickery. "Competing" with bribing money instead of electronics.
---
pathological
#13elmars369Posted 12/20/2013 7:08:53 AM
Featherwind posted...
Even if there were no exclusivity deals gaming consoles would still compete with each other. The console manufacturers should focus on creating the best possible consoles with gamers choosing the console that is physically the best device for them (best cost-performance ratio perhaps, or best performance, best looking case and so on).

You're basically describing the PC market.
---
PSN: elmars369 --[ICU Clan]-- Now playing: Nothing
--- Want: Not a PS4; FFXV; Persona 5
#14IzraeilPosted 12/20/2013 8:32:08 AM
Featherwind posted...
Izraeil posted...
This view makes no sense. People buy consoles to play games, The only significant way for a company to sell it's consoles is to provide games. And the biggest reason for a person to choose one console over the other or both is the games only that console will provide.

My point is that the "biggest reason" is in fact an artificial reason that should not exist. The physical properties of a console should be biggest reason.

Different electronics have different properties, cost and capabilities. Instead of selling just electronics and people buying those electronics based on their capabilities and properties, the current console manufacturers sell artificial "packages" of hardware and software. The reason I say artificial is because it would make financial sense to make most (perhaps not 100%, but most) software to run on many different kinds of hardware if they did not this marketing trick.

If all games were to be available for every platform, then the games would be made for the weakest console, and there'd be no need for anyone to buy anything but the cheapest/weakest console, meaning we would end up again with only one console.

I don't understand why you're not getting this. You can't compare Gaming consoles with DVD players.
#15Featherwind(Topic Creator)Posted 12/20/2013 8:36:24 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#16MecamattPosted 12/20/2013 8:37:33 AM
Exclusives create competition. Competition creates a healthy market. A healthy market means games are cheaper and better.

Exclusives >
---
3DS Friend Code: 2251-4708-8870 Guys, check out my kickstarter!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/742636845/the-cumulus-engines-debut-record
#17Featherwind(Topic Creator)Posted 12/20/2013 8:44:19 AM
Mecamatt posted...
Exclusives create competition. Competition creates a healthy market. A healthy market means games are cheaper and better.

Exclusives >

Hardware competes with hardware and games compete with games even without exclusivity deals.
---
pathological
#18MecamattPosted 12/20/2013 8:47:33 AM
Featherwind posted...
Mecamatt posted...

Exclusives >

Hardware competes with hardware and games compete with games even without exclusivity deals.

Ehh but we'd have a hundred different gaming consoles that are all essentially the same but with a couple brands carrying the torch and charging way too much. Similar to the Guitar market I'd imagine.
---
3DS Friend Code: 2251-4708-8870 Guys, check out my kickstarter!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/742636845/the-cumulus-engines-debut-record
#19natevinesPosted 12/20/2013 8:50:03 AM
No exclusive = one console. What fun is that?
#20Featherwind(Topic Creator)Posted 12/20/2013 8:56:15 AM
natevines posted...
No exclusive = one console. What fun is that?

There can be many consoles. Like I said hardware competes with hardware, and different electronics have different properties like cost, performance, looks, reliability/build quality etc.
---
pathological