Exclusive games never lose money right?

#11TerraUniversePosted 12/20/2013 2:43:33 PM
krystyla posted...
TerraUniverse posted...
Most games don't sell that much.

It's more about making a game as cheaply as possible, and making sure you can make back more than you spent on the project. If a game was made for $1 million and got a profit of $2 million, than that is successful. If a game was made for $15 million and got a profit for $10,00,000, then they lost, even though they sold a lot more than the smaller $2 million game. Still, this doesn't usually happen. Most games don't sell that much, so they don't spend that much on it.

Games don't have to sell that much to be profitable. In the case of exclusivity they don't have a chart telling how much they could make as a multiplatform. In most cases, Sony and Microsoft will finance most of the game itself or pay for the license, and the developers actually feel more free to experiment. They don't have to be a success anymore.

Even being a best seller is not a guaranteed for success. I think Journey which was a PS3 exclusive game was hugely popular, but it still lost money. Some people argue that if it had been multiplatform, perhaps it would have sold better, but I don't know that that's true. If it were multiplatform, it's possible people wouldn't have noticed the game as much.

Well that's square enix

Yeah, Square Enix has developed games for Sony and Microsoft, and it's interesting to see a 3rd party developer making exclusive games for both. Although now, Square Enix is doing a lot of multiplatform stuff, because they want to reach out to a wider audience.
#12TerraUniversePosted 12/20/2013 2:45:03 PM
The way I see it, an exclusive game has more freedom to experiment, because they've been paid some money (not necessarily that much, but just enough that they don't have to sell that much more).

A mutiplatform game is more concerned with making a profit and will tend to do what gamers like or whatever the trend may be.
#13krystylaPosted 12/20/2013 2:46:56 PM
TerraUniverse posted...
krystyla posted...
TerraUniverse posted...

It's more about making a game as cheaply as possible, and making sure you can make back more than you spent on the project. If a game was made for $1 million and got a profit of $2 million, than that is successful. If a game was made for $15 million and got a profit for $10,00,000, then they lost, even though they sold a lot more than the smaller $2 million game. Still, this doesn't usually happen. Most games don't sell that much, so they don't spend that much on it.

Games don't have to sell that much to be profitable. In the case of exclusivity they don't have a chart telling how much they could make as a multiplatform. In most cases, Sony and Microsoft will finance most of the game itself or pay for the license, and the developers actually feel more free to experiment. They don't have to be a success anymore.

Even being a best seller is not a guaranteed for success. I think Journey which was a PS3 exclusive game was hugely popular, but it still lost money. Some people argue that if it had been multiplatform, perhaps it would have sold better, but I don't know that that's true. If it were multiplatform, it's possible people wouldn't have noticed the game as much.

Well that's square enix

Yeah, Square Enix has developed games for Sony and Microsoft, and it's interesting to see a 3rd party developer making exclusive games for both. Although now, Square Enix is doing a lot of multiplatform stuff, because they want to reach out to a wider audience.

I meant them selling millions of a games but still counting it a failure
---
FC: 4227 - 1514- 7752 IGN:Mara
PSN: JudasInHell Gamertag: Crystyn 7B
#14TerraUniversePosted 12/20/2013 2:54:43 PM
krystyla posted...
TerraUniverse posted...
krystyla posted...
TerraUniverse posted...

Well that's square enix

Yeah, they probably mismanaged the money and spent more than they should have. Gaming is a hard business. Another problem is that a lot of developers feel like a game should sell quickly, but I think games don't always have to sell quickly. Eventually, I think any game could sell, if it's at the right price and available for retail.
#15skermacPosted 12/20/2013 3:17:52 PM
TerraUniverse posted...
krystyla posted...
TerraUniverse posted...
krystyla posted...
TerraUniverse posted...

Well that's square enix

Yeah, they probably mismanaged the money and spent more than they should have. Gaming is a hard business. Another problem is that a lot of developers feel like a game should sell quickly, but I think games don't always have to sell quickly. Eventually, I think any game could sell, if it's at the right price and available for retail.

They feel games have to see fast because the investors want their money back fast plus profit.
---
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive
#16BigPapi829Posted 12/20/2013 4:11:29 PM
I don't it works by "we're going to pay you the potential lost profit for not going multiplat" its probably more like "hey great game we'll pay all development cost to make it exclusive for the games with no publisher" or similarity with a deal with the publisher that they (MS or SONY) will cover the cost to make the game in turn make it exclusive to their respective platforms.
#17sabrestorm(Topic Creator)Posted 12/23/2013 12:28:23 PM
TerraUniverse posted...
The way I see it, an exclusive game has more freedom to experiment, because they've been paid some money (not necessarily that much, but just enough that they don't have to sell that much more).

A mutiplatform game is more concerned with making a profit and will tend to do what gamers like or whatever the trend may be.

This actually makes the most sense.