does microsoft even see the xbox one as a gaming console?

#1NightMareBunnyPosted 12/20/2013 1:39:32 PM
with the way it's marketed i feel like they see it more as an oversized tablet and that's not an attack against the console but a sad truth....every video i see with them talking about it has them discussing the media features more than what the console itself means for video games

not that they shouldn't advertise the features but at this point things like Hulu Netflix Youtube And Crackle are commonplace no need to keep mentioning you can do this or that when you can do that on just about any other device out there

it's best to stick to the things that separate the console from being just another media hog that doesn't know what to do with all it's abilities
---
PS3 Tag: VV_Argost
XB1 Gamertag: GamerClawdeen
#2Massillon_GPosted 12/20/2013 1:50:59 PM
Get a friend.
#3IMProdiGYPosted 12/20/2013 2:00:57 PM
Last time I checked there are games on Xbox One and at this time there is more then the PS4. While I do enjoy indies I do not count them as "next gen". What Microsoft is trying to do is what almost everything does EVOLVE. Look at the Ipod when they first started and what it is now.

I just don't get how people don't appreciate what they are trying to do. Look what Microsoft did with 360! They took console gaming to the next level. It was as close to Pc gaming you can get to. Now look at the PS4. Thanks to what 360 did so great, PS4 while late to the party is doing everything 360 already did. PS3 was what it is because of 360. Sony was pushed to add this and that so that way people can play their system.

Both X1 and PS4 are great consoles. And owning both is a plus. BUT I appreciate the innovation that Microsoft does with their consoles. I promise you that with the PS5 you will be able to do everything the X1 does at the moment. A lot of people don't think much of it, but it is really cool and the console it self feels next gen.
---
gl hf
#4regsantotomasPosted 12/20/2013 2:04:28 PM
I'll kindly disagree.

I don't think that promoting other features takes away from gaming or other features in any way. It is, after all, supposed to be an all-in-one entertainment device.

Sure, I have plenty of other devices that offer similar features but I don't use them because it is far more convenient to access them from one central location.

So why would you not want to advertise one of its major selling points.

The reality is that gamers are no longer the only target demographic. That doesn't mean the Xbox One suffers in any way as an enjoyable gaming device just because it also does other things well on the platform.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#5therickmu25Posted 12/20/2013 2:09:24 PM
I don't understand the close mindedness that you can't have a machine that does more than one thing. The XB1 has a ton of games on the way and yea it does a ton of other things too, so what? We live in a world now where we have the tech to create small devices that can do a lot of different things, just look at our phones. It's shortchanging to make an entertainment product that is only good at doing one task.
---
PC: http://i.imgur.com/9Ho6VA1.jpg
#6mokmuudPosted 12/20/2013 2:14:08 PM
therickmu25 posted...
I don't understand the close mindedness that you can't have a machine that does more than one thing. The XB1 has a ton of games on the way and yea it does a ton of other things too, so what? We live in a world now where we have the tech to create small devices that can do a lot of different things, just look at our phones. It's shortchanging to make an entertainment product that is only good at doing one task.

So let's make a console that does a lot of things not very well. I buy a game console for GAMING. Its nice if it does other things as long as it doesn't detract for the main purpose of the device.
---
PSN: Mokmuud live gamertag: Fumokmuud NNID: Mokmuud 3DS FC: 3222-6547-9539
#7Reflex-ArcPosted 12/20/2013 2:14:24 PM
I certainly hope so, otherwise somebody there ****ed up royally by releasing this handful of surprisingly fun games for the thing.
---
Case | Mother Board | CPU (OC'd!) | Video Card x 2 | RAM | PSU | SSD | HDD | Some Fans | Monitor | Mouse | Keyboard
#8TBONE_OGPosted 12/20/2013 2:15:38 PM
Goofy topic, but I'll say this:

Xbox One is a game console. Remember this? Xbox One was built by gamers for gamers. Believe that or don't, I won't care.

You say Xbox to anyone, and they'll say game console. MS is making sure people know it's much more than that.
---
Always O.G.
#9Exodus_PrimePosted 12/20/2013 2:18:23 PM
TBONE_OG posted...
Goofy topic, but I'll say this:

Xbox One is a game console. Remember this? Xbox One was built by gamers for gamers. Believe that or don't, I won't care.

You say Xbox to anyone, and they'll say game console. MS is making sure people know it's much more than that.

But...but Sony or Mark Cerny or Kaz Hirai didn't say Xbox One was built by gamers for gamers so it must not be true :-P
---
Xbox One and PlayStation 4
Because I can buy both.
#10shawnmckPosted 12/20/2013 2:18:39 PM
I think they view it as a "be all" console...
That is to say it does everything, such as browses the internet, skypes, is a cable-box, exercise machine, etc, etc...and it plays video-games.
While that is great and all...some people just want it to play games, and don't give a rat's hairy butt about all that other stuff.