A developer's perspective; the current generation of consoles

#11CKnightPosted 12/22/2013 12:22:27 PM
As the Capcom devs said, both consoles are pretty close and theres no need to make 2 different games. You can make one game and have it play on both consoles.
#12archibald3Posted 12/22/2013 12:40:05 PM
SigmaLongshot posted...
SoulTrapper posted...
The problem is that most devs pretty much stopped making unique games for each console, since it's much more profitable to make one game and port it to all platforms.

All of this "three different platforms, three different approaches"-talk is nice in theory, but in reality, it's just going to be the same stuff we've seen last gen.

And it's a shame because, as you say, each console has it's own uniqueness and could become successful in it's own way if devs would want to/be able to get on board with the idea of lower profits.

I think the only real way we'll see each consoles strengths being used, is in indie games.

The sad thing is, though I am an optimist by nature, my colleagues and just... fellow gamers alike - the majority is with you. It's a truly sad thing but the unique qualities of each new console effectively changes how we as developers and gamers alike should view game development - less about adding a few more tris to a high-poly model, less about resolutions, ambient occlusion and shader properties .... and more about focusing on how to really make unique platforms shine.

Right now it genuinely feels like we've just gotten say, a trombone, a harpsichord and a glockenspiel, and because last-gen was like a trio of guitars, everyone's trying to play "Free Bird" by Lynard Skynyrd on their respective instruments, totally blind to the notion that THIS IS NOT HOW TO GET THE BEST OUT OF WHAT YOU HAVE. Though this mentality might change, they might still continue to try to pull off a Mark King Level 42 bass solo on an accordion. No matter how epic it might get, it's just... well, it's not making the best use of what you have.

By the way, the people that debunk my dev-status, though I'm nothing overly important (a meagre GUI designer and artist), can you not see the email address associated with my username? It's my work email. Which includes the name of the company I work for. As in, this is as many hints I can use without overtly telling you the company which under contract might be construed as an act of talking on behalf of my employers, which I am not allowed to do.

We need more like you !!!
#13SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 12/22/2013 12:40:12 PM
CKnight posted...
As the Capcom devs said, both consoles are pretty close and theres no need to make 2 different games. You can make one game and have it play on both consoles.

This statement wasn't referring to port-overs, but rather, unique games. As for the framerate/resolution issue, that's nothing more than teething issues. The 1080p thing really is a tired and ignorant one; we managed to get a last-gen Xbox 360/PS3 game running at full HD with 60FPS, and it was generally really well-received. It didn't split the earth in two, mind you, which is what seems to occur right now with the current big-hitters (and I have zero understanding why people perpetuate this notion).

Cross-platform titles are great and all, but I think my major point was more implying that the unique aspects of each console could potentially bring an end to the constant ploughing of the multi-platfield. Though of course, it's a source of easy revenue (and everyone does it, completely disregards their own business acumen and ideology briefly to ensure a constant money-flow - even Coca Cola only brought out Fanta because they wanted to make a quick buck and couldn't afford to make Coke available to Germany during the war, despite previously saying they'd never make another kind of drink) - the multi-platform title will always sell more than an exclusive, unless said exclusive shatters the world.

But at the end of the day, pepperoni pizza lovers will argue with ham pizza lovers will argue with sausage pizza lovers. They will argue forever about which is the best. But then there's the dude in the corner, smirking whilst he eats his Meat Feast pizza, because he's just enjoying all his lovely pizza whilst they gasp for breath.
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#14RayconPosted 12/22/2013 12:50:15 PM
SigmaLongshot posted...
This statement wasn't referring to port-overs, but rather, unique games.

I don't think that's a console-specific problem. Being "unique" is risky. There just isn't any guts or originality to start with. Sticking to trends and the successful templates we've seen so far is a much safer investment, and in all likelihood, what we're going to get.
---
I must have looked a fool playing with a backwards DS, teary eyed solving a Sudoku puzzle -Lordx718
#15SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 12/22/2013 1:28:26 PM
Raycon posted...
SigmaLongshot posted...
This statement wasn't referring to port-overs, but rather, unique games.

I don't think that's a console-specific problem. Being "unique" is risky. There just isn't any guts or originality to start with. Sticking to trends and the successful templates we've seen so far is a much safer investment, and in all likelihood, what we're going to get.

And though I wholeheartedly agree with that sentiment, I think that this is where I bring up the "I love my workplace" card, because in the past few years they have taken more risks than their peers when it comes to risky new IP and gameplay anomalies.

Sure, it has it's cash cows (see: Assassins Creed) but Watchdogs, the reboot of Rayman in a colourful "super 2D" style, Child of Light, Child of Eden and others?! Those are just too wacky for say, Activision or EA to green-light.

The sad story is that these titles are mostly inventive and really do lose the company a huge amount of money. They take risks and listen to our designs, but more often than not it's... and I really hate to be this much of a dick, but it's true -it's the consumer's fault. If you look at the sales numbers for the "experimental" titles, you'll see they sell less than a quarter of the big names. It costs a lot to be the guy that does something new, and you fall VERY far for doing so.

But that said, I remain optimistic that the future is not simply multiplatform sequels dimension and rather, interesting-new-IP-that-sells-everyone-every-console-because-people-love-fun land.
---
#16SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 12/22/2013 2:12:29 PM
Give an artist a pad of paper and a pencil, and he will create a drawing. Keep giving him that pad and paper and one day, he might draw everything there is to draw. But start giving him charcoal, paint... clay, and suddenly you start to see art you never thought that artist was capable of. Consoles are simply the conveyance, the medium.
---
#172ndAtomiskPosted 12/22/2013 2:47:14 PM
You know what? I like this topic.
---
I'm gonna cut out your eyes and piss in the ****ing sockets! ~ Kaine
#18SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 12/22/2013 3:12:49 PM
2ndAtomisk posted...
You know what? I like this topic.

Appreciated! And y'know what? *whispering*....

I like YOU.

But in all seriousness guys, the games industry AND the gaming audience is in a serious rut of psychological staleness. It's so easy to hear - "Gaming industry, new IP, current IP, change IP, New IP" - You hear so much jargon and ballflox that it's easy to forget what all of it means. When a developer said, "NEW IP!" that used to mean, "WHOA! GET YOUR SOCKS PRE-KNOCKED-OFF!"

Now, the the clinical nature of it means instead of going, " A GAME ABOUT DAMSELS IN DISTRESS GETTING BORED AND INSTEAD GETTING MECHSUITS TO BREAK OUT AND DEFEAT THEIR CAPTORS?!" is not actually ABOUT that, but instead it's about the framerate, the pixel count, the overall consistent resolution....

Imagine if we viewed television the same way? It'd be like... "Oh, Game of Thrones is on? Ah.. It's only high definition, not ULTRA definition. This episode is dire. Look at how amazing-but-not-perfect the resolution is on those armours. Yeah, this is DEFINITELYa 5/10 episode."
---
#19TerraUniversePosted 12/22/2013 3:32:32 PM(edited)
SigmaLongshot posted...
I am a developer working for a large games studio...

Yeah, they are all kind of different, and that is interesting.
#20SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 12/22/2013 4:32:55 PM
TerraUniverse posted...
SigmaLongshot posted...
I am a developer working for a large games studio...

Yeah, they are all kind of different, and that is interesting.

I both appreciate your comment an accept the statement, but do you believe that the current generation of consoles might be the most interesting and diversive yet?
---