A developer's perspective; the current generation of consoles

#21mewmew42Posted 12/22/2013 8:54:05 PM
Glad to see something more than console fanboyism here

I can see you looking optimistic on how a more diverse game can be developed due to the strength of each console

All im hoping with all this ps4/xbox1/wiiU i just want more freedom in my games

Please provide difficulty for angry bird/candy crush casual easy, but also provide something challenging for cardcore old school gamers

Let dudebros play fps in 1st person but also ability to change to 3rd person

Multiple endings, consequences for our actions

Whilst most people really care about 30/60 & those 1080 stuff, all i want is the gameplay back.

Black flag brought amazing naval combat, dark souls have amazing weapon mechanics, gtaV brought multiliple protagonist, the bar have been raised and i hope game developers can bring something new to the table

All the best for you, hope you ll get that head designer/ creative direvtor role soon
#22SoulTrapperPosted 12/23/2013 8:21:33 AM
SigmaLongshot posted...

The sad thing is, though I am an optimist by nature, my colleagues and just... fellow gamers alike - the majority is with you. It's a truly sad thing but the unique qualities of each new console effectively changes how we as developers and gamers alike should view game development - less about adding a few more tris to a high-poly model, less about resolutions, ambient occlusion and shader properties .... and more about focusing on how to really make unique platforms shine.

Right now it genuinely feels like we've just gotten say, a trombone, a harpsichord and a glockenspiel, and because last-gen was like a trio of guitars, everyone's trying to play "Free Bird" by Lynard Skynyrd on their respective instruments, totally blind to the notion that THIS IS NOT HOW TO GET THE BEST OUT OF WHAT YOU HAVE. Though this mentality might change, they might still continue to try to pull off a Mark King Level 42 bass solo on an accordion. No matter how epic it might get, it's just... well, it's not making the best use of what you have.

I would love nothing more than to see devs experiment with each platform again. Just giving new ideas a chance instead of copy pasting the same thing in a different setting.
But there just aren't enough big devs left to do this.

I honestly believe the only original ideas we'll see, will be coming from indie devs.
The only thing I hope for, is that when these indie devs come up with something great, is that the consumers will support them in it and buy their product so that they can become a bigger dev.

CDProjektRed and the witcher come to mind with this, but also Taleworlds and Mount&Blade.
Both are some of my favorite games and neither was made by a big name dev.
#23krystylaPosted 12/23/2013 8:28:13 AM
SoulTrapper posted...
SigmaLongshot posted...

The sad thing is, though I am an optimist by nature, my colleagues and just... fellow gamers alike - the majority is with you. It's a truly sad thing but the unique qualities of each new console effectively changes how we as developers and gamers alike should view game development - less about adding a few more tris to a high-poly model, less about resolutions, ambient occlusion and shader properties .... and more about focusing on how to really make unique platforms shine.

Right now it genuinely feels like we've just gotten say, a trombone, a harpsichord and a glockenspiel, and because last-gen was like a trio of guitars, everyone's trying to play "Free Bird" by Lynard Skynyrd on their respective instruments, totally blind to the notion that THIS IS NOT HOW TO GET THE BEST OUT OF WHAT YOU HAVE. Though this mentality might change, they might still continue to try to pull off a Mark King Level 42 bass solo on an accordion. No matter how epic it might get, it's just... well, it's not making the best use of what you have.

I would love nothing more than to see devs experiment with each platform again. Just giving new ideas a chance instead of copy pasting the same thing in a different setting.

I honestly believe the only original ideas we'll see, will be coming from indie devs.
The only thing I hope for, is that when these indie devs come up with something great, is that the consumers will support them in it and buy their product so that they can become a bigger dev.

CDProjektRed and the witcher come to mind with this, but also Taleworlds and Mount&Blade.

How is CDPR doing anything innovative with the Witcher, game is amazing and their policies are nice, but the game is a story driven RPG like many others
---
FC: 4227 - 1514- 7752 IGN:Mara
PSN: JudasInHell Gamertag: Crystyn 7B
#242ndAtomiskPosted 12/23/2013 8:33:51 AM
krystyla posted...
SoulTrapper posted...
SigmaLongshot posted...

How is CDPR doing anything innovative with the Witcher, game is amazing and their policies are nice, but the game is a story driven RPG like many others

Also, it's based off of novels. It's a good series, no doubt, but it's not doing anything new.
---
I'm gonna cut out your eyes and piss in the ****ing sockets! ~ Kaine
#25SoulTrapperPosted 12/23/2013 9:24:04 AM
krystyla posted...

It's combat system actually rewards you for getting better at it, same as Dark Souls does.

It's not entirely new, but it's a welcome change from the over-casualized gameplay we get in games like Skyrim.
#26Evel138Posted 12/23/2013 1:24:42 PM
I loved the combat of The Witcher 2. Not to pat myself on the back (lie), but I beat it on the hardest difficulty. To me, that's the measure of great gameplay, if its fun on hard.

Loved every minute of it.
---
GT/PSN: Evel138 Lucky Number
http://fav.me/d6gbf9y
#27DboyC83Posted 12/23/2013 1:31:26 PM
What's your perspective on why games have become less and less appealing and that gaming in general seems like a dying hobby.

Even Japan recognizes that NA isn't a great base for games, look at how little they release to US anymore.

Developers have been so caught up in the technological aspect of games that now all we get anymore are physics boxes with garbage storylines and game play.

I'd rather go play a text based MUD than some of the garbage on gens since XBOX
---
FACT: this is not an opinion.
#28JchobotPosted 12/23/2013 2:05:28 PM
SigmaLongshot posted...
SoulTrapper posted...
The problem is that most devs pretty much stopped making unique games for each console, since it's much more profitable to make one game and port it to all platforms.

All of this "three different platforms, three different approaches"-talk is nice in theory, but in reality, it's just going to be the same stuff we've seen last gen.

And it's a shame because, as you say, each console has it's own uniqueness and could become successful in it's own way if devs would want to/be able to get on board with the idea of lower profits.

I think the only real way we'll see each consoles strengths being used, is in indie games.

By the way, the people that debunk my dev-status, though I'm nothing overly important (a meagre GUI designer and artist), can you not see the email address associated with my username? It's my work email. Which includes the name of the company I work for. As in, this is as many hints I can use without overtly telling you the company which under contract might be construed as an act of talking on behalf of my employers, which I am not allowed to do.

Ur not dev
#29SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 12/24/2013 4:00:25 AM
DboyC83 posted...
What's your perspective on why games have become less and less appealing and that gaming in general seems like a dying hobby.

Even Japan recognizes that NA isn't a great base for games, look at how little they release to US anymore.

Developers have been so caught up in the technological aspect of games that now all we get anymore are physics boxes with garbage storylines and game play.

I'd rather go play a text based MUD than some of the garbage on gens since XBOX

This reinforces rather than hampers my point, though - the fact the consoles are becoming less and less like cells, simple samey boxes that play samey games, and more unique, interesting environments to create for - *ideally*, designers get more and more interested in creating tailor-made experiences for the platforms.

I remember back when the original Nintendo DS came out maybe six or so years back, and I got so overwhelmed with design documents because my head was spinning with the possibilities. I started considering gestural interfaces, tactile control experiences, more PC-like control schemes, simultaneous asynchronous multiplayer and so on. I just started thinking that this was the first time in years I hadn't cut-and-pasted "DPAD FOR MOVEMENT" on a handheld design doc. My juices were flowing.

For example, I mocked up a number of gameplay demos, developed and pitched them to companies for funding (even trying my old university at one point, in the case of "Synth").

In "Metalheads", the magnetic main character would be controlled by the DPAD, sure, but with a double-tap on the DS touchscreen, you'd emit a magnetic pulse attracting all nearby "Metalheads"(tiny "Lemmings"-like men that would run around the enviroment, eluding enemies). The more you collected, the more impressive formations you could make them into by drawing shapes on the touchscreen. For example, a square created a Metalhead Cube, which could be used to stack up and climb, or weigh down switches - or a long straight horizontal line would form them into rotors on your head, to scribble back and forth to gain altitude. Though it never made any money, it won an award:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tjp_AYOfhI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4V7shHMRyo

The following year I attempted to make a multiplayer game where both players did entirely different things but needed one another to finish levels (asynchronous multiplayer). This took me a great deal of effort to get working, but "Synth" basically followed two little robots - a war robot named "Merge" and a construction robot named "Bitts" - as they helped each other through levels. The player controlling Merge was tasked with protecting Bitts as he was the only one who could attack or destroy things - Bitts was different in that she could fly, could create geometry to add to the level, but was utterly vulnerable. Things like bosses would appear, but with non-traditional methods of defeating them - Bitts may have had to create walls to protect Merge from projectiles, and weigh down the behemoth's punching arm to allow a ramp for Merge to ascend and attack it's weak point. This was graphically pretty scarce but I at least managed a last-minute pitch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6GJ6IdDFsE
(Just forgive my nervous voiceover, it was taken from the actual pitch itself, and I was bricking it).

This one also won an innovation studio prize, but... you guessed it, no money for funding.
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#30SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 12/24/2013 4:00:57 AM
Basically what I am saying is that a new format or piece of hardware can really make your mind go wild with new ideas that are a bit different (I understand these aren't that innovative NOW, but when the DS came out people found them pretty cool).

Now, with these three consoles, my mind is returning to this excited, insatiable mindset. The Wii never fully realised it's own fantastic proof of concept for me, but now that the WiiU is basically a DS home console, now that the Xbox One is packed with Kinect as standard (meaning it is a far more viable thing to incorporate into design documents as opposed to the totally shoehorned, totally optional original Kinect) and the PS4's power and trackpad inciting interesting PSVITA-like controls (I personally think Sony missed a trick not putting the PS4 trackpad on the rear of the controller, by the way) - it's like a new world again.

Let's hope other developers SEE this new world, as opposed to just a marginally prettier old world.
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/