A developer's perspective; the current generation of consoles

#61TMOGPosted 12/30/2013 6:13:50 PM
SigmaLongshot posted...
I guess I'm not splitting hairs or speaking out of turn by saying I have worked on Viva Pinata 2: Trouble in Paradise, Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts, and more recently, Driver: San Francisco.

So formerly Rare, currently Ubisoft.

Explains a lot about why you didn't want to name the company you worked for.
---
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/6870/tmog01.png
#62gogogodzillaPosted 12/31/2013 12:26:04 AM
SigmaLongshot posted...
NewMoonShadow posted...
SigmaLongshot posted...
But alas, I do not speak for every gamer nor every game developer.

~~~

~~~

I'm glad someone else gets it. The gamer is his or her own worst enemy when it comes to the stagnation of the medium; the consumers will only buy the same thing again and again, but continue to want improvement - and when it's the same damned thing, the only way to make it "better" is just to polish it up time and time again. When they realise they're buying the same thing albeit a tad shinier, they call out for something new, something obtuse, insane, fresh and exciting.

"Give me something ELSE! Just something DIFFERENT!" they'll cry out, and the developers take this on board, PLEAD with the publishers to allow it to happen, and after grovelling enough to give the people what they want, nobody ends up buying it. What then results is the publishers give our studios a massive "I TOLD YA SO!" smack on the wrist, and we end up making the same super-safe game three or four times in a row to make up all that lost revenue.

I am something of a romantic, it's why I got into this field of work in the first place, but it's becoming harder and harder to remain optimistic when you realise this is a genuine crossroads we've reached; where consoles can either be reborn as a viable, unique, quirky and fresh gaming experience, or potentially prove themselves to be nothing more than the stale repetitive action that has caused many a PC fan to call out the consoles as "weak PC pretenders". They shouldn't be TRYING to be PC-lites, they should be trying to utilise their unique qualities as stand-alone gaming platforms - but if all people end up wanting is the same thing again and again, then it will not be too long before we see another gaming crash - this one being the last one.

"Give me something ELSE! Just something DIFFERENT!" they'll cry out, and the developers take this on board, PLEAD with the publishers to allow it to happen, and after grovelling enough to give the people what they want, nobody ends up buying it.

I really don't understand how this consumer message is all that difficult to understand. They want something 'different', yet the 'same'. Which is pretty easy to understand for sequels. Don't mess around too much with the game mechanics, but tell a new story.

That's it.

Much like books. The author writes a sequel to his novel. He *DOESN'T* reinvent the whole concept of the book, forcing the reader to spend countless hours figuring out how to use the wedge of paper that the story is printed on.
---
My Chicken says, "Cluck!"
#63gogogodzillaPosted 12/31/2013 12:31:49 AM
SigmaLongshot posted...
I wholeheartedly agree. Gaming as a hobby will always endure; it is the new third-act to books and movies, and each has a place in our current world. The credibility of gaming will no longer be in question beyond this generation - beyond that we will see entire acceptance of gaming as a medium, but it will take the ripple-effect of the blinded, thick-witted politicians to be the voice in order to finally explain that we are not the scourge of humanity.

The current generation of consoles, I believe, will be a true turning point in how we see videogaming- no longer will we see machines with the capacity for evil, but instead we'll se interactive, innovative ideas finally finding a platform to stand upon.

The issue is that people assume games are simply inappropriate trials that the socially inept endure. In reality, they are unique obstacles we face that we can apply to our own psyche. Any sane person would never act upon them, of course, but they are truly important.

As we question what healthy humanity is, it is important to consider that a mind that has endured hardship may indeed be more important and more healthy than those that have never experienced such conflict.

Video games are just another medium for storytelling.

Just like back in the caveman days, when the tribal shaman would tell stories of the sun and the moon and the stars in the sky.

And over time... we, as a species, have progressed to placing our stories in plays, in books, in movies, in radio, etc, etc, etc.

Now it's video games.

Never forget that it's one and the same, though. Storytelling is still storytelling.
---
My Chicken says, "Cluck!"
#64SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 12/31/2013 4:00:30 AM
TMOG posted...
SigmaLongshot posted...
I guess I'm not splitting hairs or speaking out of turn by saying I have worked on Viva Pinata 2: Trouble in Paradise, Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts, and more recently, Driver: San Francisco.

So formerly Rare, currently Ubisoft.

Explains a lot about why you didn't want to name the company you worked for.

I'm not entirely sure what you meant by that. Both companies have/had been more than awesome employers. And moreover, I'm not sure Ubisoft should be getting much hatred these days; with the likes of Driver: San Francisco, Rayman Origins/Legends, The Crew, WatchDogs, Assassin's Creed, South Park: Stick of Truth and Just Dance being the more recent exports, you can't blame them for lack of variety, and they're consistently voted as one of the more forward-thinking development studios. Even the smaller games such as Child of Eden/Child of Light would've been too odd to green-light for most other publishers.

Of course I'm biased, but even with the most hate-the-world brain in your skull, I can't see how that kind of approach can be anything other than good for the industry.
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#65TMOGPosted 12/31/2013 4:16:41 AM(edited)
Uplay DRM being forced on everybody who buys a Ubisoft game

Watch Dogs and South Park being delayed so they can put more focus on the yearly Assassin's Crud

Rayman Legends delayed for Wii U for no reason whatsoever
---
#66SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 12/31/2013 4:37:09 AM
TMOG posted...

Watch Dogs and South Park being delayed so they can put more focus on the yearly Assassin's Crud

The disk-read management was only enforced after the company learned that almost 90% of PC versions of Assassin's Creed 2 were in fact pirated, but yeah, nobody much likes Uplay.

But as for your latter points - you genuinely believe that?! Where do people get their facts, the magic 8-ball?! Do you think one of the biggest games companies in the world only has a singular studio where they halt production of a specific game (WatchDogs) to make a different game (Assassin's Creed)?! In our studio alone there's four different projects going.

I think it's utterly bizarre some people just come to cherry-picked conclusions and run with them as facts, I really do.
---
#67TMOGPosted 12/31/2013 5:21:35 AM
lol

People pirate because of DRM, enforcing it on people isn't going to stop piracy

And even if it did, a pirated game doesn't translate into a lost sale, a lot of pirated games were from people who had no intention to buy the game in the first place

All enforcing DRM does is push people away who were going to buy legit copies, because now they have more restrictions and hoops to jump through

And what conclusion am I supposed to reach when Assassin's Crud is the only Ubisoft series that never fails to meet its annual release, while every other game sees at least two delays in its development cycle, coincidentally enough two of them (Watch Dogs and South Park) at the same time when AC was set to be released the next month

AC is Ubisoft's cash cow, it gets priority over other titles, especially unproven IPs... doesn't take a genius to understand that
---
#68Decimator11Posted 12/31/2013 5:23:05 AM
SigmaLongshot posted...
TMOG posted...

The disk-read management was only enforced after the company learned that almost 90% of PC versions of Assassin's Creed 2 were in fact pirated, but yeah, nobody much likes Uplay.

But as for your latter points - you genuinely believe that?! Where do people get their facts, the magic 8-ball?! Do you think one of the biggest games companies in the world only has a singular studio where they halt production of a specific game (WatchDogs) to make a different game (Assassin's Creed)?! In our studio alone there's four different projects going.

I think it's utterly bizarre some people just come to cherry-picked conclusions and run with them as facts, I really do.

I don't think that's what he meant. I think he means that they delayed those two games so that they wouldn't be fighting over sales with Assassin's Creed.
---
http://i.imgur.com/qwW6T.jpg
#69TMOGPosted 12/31/2013 5:24:14 AM
Decimator11 posted...
I don't think that's what he meant. I think he means that they delayed those two games so that they wouldn't be fighting over sales with Assassin's Creed.

Exactly, thank you... those were the words I was looking for :p
---
#70SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 12/31/2013 10:24:34 AM
TMOG posted...
Decimator11 posted...

Exactly, thank you... those were the words I was looking for :p

In that case, I hold my hands up in apology; I assumed you were meaning our priorities were up our backsides :p

In actuality, WatchDogs was just simply not working to any degree that the studio was happy with. It was nothing to do with clashing releases. The Stick of Truth however, that's a different story and I'm sure you've all read numerous articles about the constant licence purgatory that Parker and Stone have subjected the title to.

But interestingly, WatchDogs may have actually been in a more reasonable state by now if it wasn't for the last-gen release platforms getting a port; specifically the PS3 (which is notoriously difficult to accurately port to, by the way - I speak from many a first-hand swearing session). Every time an asset or milestone list is reached, it has to work on EVERY platform before we can move on. The phrase "only as strong as the weakest link" makes a great deal of sense here, and although it looks CONSIDERABLY much nicer on the PS4 and Xbox One specifically, everything must work on all platforms, so minor curtailing has to take place.
---