A developer's perspective; the current generation of consoles

#71mewmew42Posted 1/3/2014 12:01:26 PM
TMOG posted...
SigmaLongshot posted...
I guess I'm not splitting hairs or speaking out of turn by saying I have worked on Viva Pinata 2: Trouble in Paradise, Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts, and more recently, Driver: San Francisco.

So formerly Rare, currently Ubisoft.

Explains a lot about why you didn't want to name the company you worked for.

Wow ubi soft. If any chance you bump into ashraf Ismail, please fist bump him and tell him his the man

If read dead redemption was the best western/ cowboy game ever, then black flag is the best pirate game ever.

The tough part for ubi is black Flag have revised the bar soo high, I don't know how you guys can top that in terms of content (awesome open world sea) & the fun sea battle mechanics.

With your positive outlook on next gen hope you and your team would surprise us.
#72HorridhalPosted 1/3/2014 12:18:32 PM
I stopped after a couple of posts because it was really bad.

A) I don't believe you are a dev because you offer no actual proof of it. While you might be a dev for a major company, I highly doubt it.

And B) Your entire argument is based around blaming consoles for your lack of innovation and drive. Sorry, but that is drivel. It doesn't take an Xbox 1 or Ps4 to be innovative, it just takes ideas.

As I said, pretty sad.
---
Analogy of gamefaqs: Islands of logic floating in a sea of idiocy and childishness.
Have a real point please. Don't use personal attacks or emotions.
#73SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 1/3/2014 12:34:30 PM
mewmew42 posted...
TMOG posted...
SigmaLongshot posted...
I guess I'm not splitting hairs or speaking out of turn by saying I have worked on Viva Pinata 2: Trouble in Paradise, Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts, and more recently, Driver: San Francisco.

So formerly Rare, currently Ubisoft.

Explains a lot about why you didn't want to name the company you worked for.

Wow ubi soft. If any chance you bump into ashraf Ismail, please fist bump him and tell him his the man

If read dead redemption was the best western/ cowboy game ever, then black flag is the best pirate game ever.

The tough part for ubi is black Flag have revised the bar soo high, I don't know how you guys can top that in terms of content (awesome open world sea) & the fun sea battle mechanics.

With your positive outlook on next gen hope you and your team would surprise us.

Thanks, mewmew, though I can't say I had any hand in that game whatsoever. Moreover I think Ashraf Ismail is part of a different studio entirely, so I can't hold hopes for bumping into him.

But thanks a bunch for the positivity. Optimism is all I can hope to bring with me even during the darker nights, so it's good to see everyone following suit. Cheers, pal.
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#74SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 1/3/2014 12:44:28 PM
Horridhal posted...
I stopped after a couple of posts because it was really bad.

A) I don't believe you are a dev because you offer no actual proof of it. While you might be a dev for a major company, I highly doubt it.

And B) Your entire argument is based around blaming consoles for your lack of innovation and drive. Sorry, but that is drivel. It doesn't take an Xbox 1 or Ps4 to be innovative, it just takes ideas.

As I said, pretty sad.

You've got every right to disbelieve anything you want, but if I was going to pretend to be anything, let me assure you, it wouldn't be a low to mid level art and design developer. I don't make a huge amount of money and a lot of my decisions are skimmed over (the larger the company you work for, the less creative input you get - it's a tradeoff for overall security).

And I never condemned consoles in any way, that implies I detracted from their merits. I was merely championing the uniqueness of this new generation of consoles for having interesting and different intentions.

Many years ago console gaming was viable FOR the clear-cut power and technological advancement in THAT way, because it was reaching a bleeding edge of commercial availability. Zork WAS the best you could get at the time. Dizzy WAS the sharpest you could expect graphics to appear. Hell, I remember being wowed by "Granny's Garden" on the BBC. But now, it's been surpassed by the power exhibited by PC gaming, and now consoles need to have a new niche in order to be relevant. This is why I would never condemn Nintendo's Wii for doing what it did for console gaming. Nintendo were actually rather shrewd in keeping consoles as "magical devices to make games inventive again", because trying to win a power struggle is a pretty pointless endeavour now. Eight years ago it was close to futile - now, it is most DEFINITELY futile.

So to have a console with an in-built secondary touch screen, to have a console that's got a multi user interface and 3d motion controller with vocal commands - even a handheld that's dual-screened AND 3D with gyroscopic sensors - THAT is the way consoles can remain relevant. Not with power, but with UNIQUENESS. Not by flexing muscles, but by showing PERSONALITY.

Anyone that battles with PC gamers over power, and is solely contesting their consoles - they're fighting a losing battle. But those that contest that consoles are becoming a new niche again that deserve to exist upon their own merits - then there's credibility there, to me.
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#75mewmew42Posted 1/3/2014 12:56:37 PM
Truly respect when developers/ industry or people from the other side of the fence comes here

It takes some balls of steel to be here where it is mostly negativity fest.even people like that total sea biscuit guy can't handle much negativity

Just feels great when developers makes an effort to listen. Because end of the day the games are for the gamers, and underneath all the trolls/fanboys/causals/hardcore/whatever's are people really passionate about their hobby.

Thank you for gracing your presence here. And hope you will carry that spark of innovation/optimism long in your career. Your the type of creative director EA needs, and hopefully you ll get far in ubi. It will only make the industry a better place.
#76ejay8320Posted 1/3/2014 1:47:56 PM
Hucast9 posted...
continued:

So basically, the technology that I have described is not like the illumiroom tech that we've seen before. For more on that just google illumiroom or youtube it. My idea makes objects pop into the 3 dimensional space of your room.

Wouldn't it be easier/cheaper to combine augmented reality with Kinect/Eye technology for a similar effect?
#77I_VTEC_Power_IPosted 1/3/2014 2:46:37 PM
Shame, Ubisoft used to be one of my favorite companies until Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, and Splinter Cell were destroyed. All three have been reduced to a shell of their former selves.
---
Xbox Live : I VTEC Power I PSN : I_VTEC_Power_I
Bring back Honda F1