Kids React to Ps4 vs Xbone (video) oh god I feel old :(

#31violentdissmayPosted 12/23/2013 5:53:24 PM
Jedi454 posted...
Foppe posted...
A classic from 1991: http://youtu.be/MTzyz2TgGls

I love how American's say Sega as "Say-ga". Strong video/ 10.

The smart ones say it seh ga
---
"Remember when consoles only played games? Pepperidge Farm remembers." - Broly4561
#32elchris79Posted 12/23/2013 6:21:26 PM
DaLagga posted...
gfaqster posted...
> bashing game thats not even out yet for the next 2-3 years
> basically know nothing of the story
> comparing amazing Japanese game storytelling to subpar generic Western garbage made games
> mention EA game known as Mass Effect 3
> Bioshock Infinite
> mfw xD

I'm sorry, but Japanese video games almost never have good stories. They had an advantage over western games back in the 80's simply because they were some of the only games to even try to have a story, but that didn't make them good. Since then, Japanese games have only bulked out their bad stories with more dialog while western games have actually produced some very good storytelling (Mass Effect 1, Baulders Gate, Planescape Torment, The Witcher, etc.).

The funny thing is, there were some Japanese games that I really loved when I was in my teens because I thought they had good storytelling. But going back and playing some of them as an adult I began to realize just how wrong I was. The vast majority of Japanese games have outlandish plots, poorly explained details, laughably generic characters, improbable characters for a quest to save the world, cringe-worthy voice acting, excessive melodrama, and just an overall juvenile tone.

Sure, there's an exception here or there, but by and large, Japanese video games completely fail at storytelling. They may have a lot of characters and dialog, but that doesn't make their stories good.

Can't agree at all. While the Japanese games may not be as intricate in their storytelling, they are often much stronger in having a story. Mass Effect games may well have a more convoluted storyline, but very few people who are old enough to have played FF7 first time around will have cared more about that game than have been genuinely affected by Aeris or Red.
#33LukenatmePosted 12/23/2013 6:53:32 PM
Jiggy101011 posted...
Jedi454 posted...
Foppe posted...

How was it supposed to be said? Even the games said it "Say-ga".

Sonic Racing Transformed says it that way too. So not just old stuff.
#34krystylaPosted 12/23/2013 7:04:08 PM
elchris79 posted...
DaLagga posted...
gfaqster posted...
> bashing game thats not even out yet for the next 2-3 years
> basically know nothing of the story
> comparing amazing Japanese game storytelling to subpar generic Western garbage made games
> mention EA game known as Mass Effect 3
> Bioshock Infinite
> mfw xD

I'm sorry, but Japanese video games almost never have good stories. They had an advantage over western games back in the 80's simply because they were some of the only games to even try to have a story, but that didn't make them good. Since then, Japanese games have only bulked out their bad stories with more dialog while western games have actually produced some very good storytelling (Mass Effect 1, Baulders Gate, Planescape Torment, The Witcher, etc.).

The funny thing is, there were some Japanese games that I really loved when I was in my teens because I thought they had good storytelling. But going back and playing some of them as an adult I began to realize just how wrong I was. The vast majority of Japanese games have outlandish plots, poorly explained details, laughably generic characters, improbable characters for a quest to save the world, cringe-worthy voice acting, excessive melodrama, and just an overall juvenile tone.

Sure, there's an exception here or there, but by and large, Japanese video games completely fail at storytelling. They may have a lot of characters and dialog, but that doesn't make their stories good.

Can't agree at all. While the Japanese games may not be as intricate in their storytelling, they are often much stronger in having a story. Mass Effect games may well have a more convoluted storyline, but very few people who are old enough to have played FF7 first time around will have cared more about that game than have been genuinely affected by Aeris or Red.

Mass Effect was deep. Watching the kid die on earth in the 3rd game, killing Lara mother in the first,... Haven't played FF7 much but the best story of any JRPG has to be Lost Odyssey last gen. Persona games have great stories as well but Tales of games are pretty bland. Tales of the abyss even had horribly unlikable characters. After Luke destroys a part of their planet, they were allowed to be angry but they all knew he is pretty much a conceited, spoiled 7 year old that trusted the only guy that ever treated him as more than a nuisance.
---
FC: 4227 - 1514- 7752 IGN:Mara
PSN: JudasInHell Gamertag: Crystyn 7B
#35CharizardFangPosted 12/23/2013 7:43:33 PM
Jedi454 posted...
Jiggy101011 posted...
Jedi454 posted...
Foppe posted...

How was it supposed to be said? Even the games said it "Say-ga".

"See-ga" ;)

I'm pretty sure it's "Seh-ga" but alot of people i know say "Say-ga". But, I've never heard anyone say "See-ga"
#36DaLaggaPosted 12/23/2013 8:33:41 PM
elchris79 posted...

I was 16 years old when FF7 came out and it was actually one of my favorite games for a long time and I still think the materia system is the best magic system in any turn based RPG. That being said, its actually one of the games I was referring too that just doesn't hold up when looked upon by a mature pair of eyes.

The story starts out alright I guess. Sure, its painfully generic with overly simplistic characters, but it's not exactly horrible at first. I suppose juvenile is the proper word for it. But then things fall apart pretty fast when we start learning about meteor and holy and all that. Then the storytelling falls off a cliff when it starts getting into Cloud's past and all that. It's just so filled with cliches, poorly written dialog, plot holes, and contrived nonsense that it's hard not to laugh. One of the cinematics toward the end with holy stopping meteor is just so implausible that its humorous rather than dramatic or suspenseful.

On the plus side, the music holds up well and the turn based mechanics are solid. The pacing is well done and they do a good job of capturing a sense of adventure. But when it comes to the story, it's just not very good and most of the characters are so stereotypical they're not even worth mentioning.
#37NinjaGuerraPosted 12/23/2013 10:53:17 PM
Foppe posted...

Wow :O its amazing to see how people talked about video game consoles back then lol

I miss sega D:
---
No game will ever come close to the fun I had playing Castlevania: HD.
PSN/Gamertag/Steam: NinjaGuerra
#38gfaqster(Topic Creator)Posted 12/24/2013 1:32:29 PM
NinjaGuerra posted...
Foppe posted...

Wow :O its amazing to see how people talked about video game consoles back then lol

I miss sega D:

Dreamcast forever
---
We live to make the impossible possible!
-Lightning-
#39XeroShinobiPosted 12/24/2013 1:37:11 PM
gfaqster posted...
Bonus video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr8RT5v8rzk

"If I could have Final Fantasy XV it would be the happiest day of my life" (9 year old girl)

My life is complete kudos to the parents for raising that child right and restoring my faith in humanity.

I can't put into words how ridiculous this post is.
---
Currently playing: not much