These huge game updates...

#1RedDevil2007Posted 12/23/2013 1:58:12 PM
So with Ryse having a 5gb update and DR3 having a similar size update I have a question.

Are these updates taking up hard-drive space or are they on a cloud somewhere? Is there a way to check this?

Because I think this could be a problem if you happen to own several games at a time in the future if you're going to have numerous large updates clogging up your memory. You could end up having to choose which games to save on your hard-drive and deleting them to install others when you want to play them which will be a lengthy process.

Am I missing something here?
---
Gamertag: SinAndBonez
WWE 2K14 League: http://xwlleague.forumotion.com/
#2crucialPosted 12/23/2013 2:30:11 PM
I was thinking about this today,with the low HD space it's going to make me buy less games and DLC because of the lack of space on the HD's,I hope MS lets us use external HDs soon so I can move my games and DLc's etc onto that HD freeing up more space for me,if not MS is going to lose a lot of money from me and many other's.

I own 3 games now Ghosts,DR3 and KI but if I had more space like a 1 TB HD or an external of some sort I would own way more games like AC4,Forza and maybe a sports game but I am waiting to see what is going on with these big games.
#3GrandMast3rPosted 12/23/2013 2:55:06 PM
5gb update??!? Wtf
#4Dr WhoopassPosted 12/23/2013 3:06:04 PM
The 3GB update was basically the DLC, but yeah I have noticed some bug fix updates like COD are 750MB which is crazy. HD space is definitely going to be a huge problem. Both systems should have had a 1TB HD.
---
XBL: Bitter Kevin
PSN: B1TT3R-K3V1N
#5aszsithPosted 12/23/2013 3:09:36 PM
Well, considering that every single available game currently fits on the hdd, its not an issue yet. And with external hdd support, it shouldn't be a big issue going forward either.

There is always the option to re-download an old game though. I'm guessing the system will (hopefully) use some sort of intelligent method to auto delete, perhaps length of time since last played or frequency of play, to ensure that it doesn't delete a game you play a lot instead of one you never play anymore.
---
You can put icing on a turd, but that doesn't make it a cupcake!
#6PStrifePosted 12/23/2013 6:03:51 PM
Or they could have been busy addressing this problem in the early R&D stages, as most things are quite forseeable. Instead of sticking consumers with a meagre 500GB and calling it a day, given the forced install BS will become an annoyance.

Or they could stop forcing all games to be installed.
#7SythisTaruPosted 12/23/2013 6:10:41 PM
aszsith posted...
Well, considering that every single available game currently fits on the hdd, its not an issue yet. And with external hdd support, it shouldn't be a big issue going forward either.

There is always the option to re-download an old game though. I'm guessing the system will (hopefully) use some sort of intelligent method to auto delete, perhaps length of time since last played or frequency of play, to ensure that it doesn't delete a game you play a lot instead of one you never play anymore.

You can't have all games on the HDD at once !
#8aszsithPosted 12/23/2013 10:36:41 PM
SythisTaru posted...
aszsith posted...

Just did the math, and I overstated. You can have NEARLY all the available titles if you exclude roughly 20GB of install, which could be a single title like Zumba Fitness (24GB) or several crappy titles like Fighter Within (11GB), Crimson Dragon (7GB), and Loco Cycle(14GB).

So out of the currently available 25 titles, you can fit roughly 18-23 of them on the hdd at once(depending on titles chosen).

The average console gamer (4-6 game purchases a year) wouldn't own 23 retail games by the time they are done with the console, let alone right at the beginning. Most likely wouldn't even buy the console at launch.

The above average gamer (6-12 game purchases a year) will ultimately get an external hdd once they are supported, but won't need one any time soon most likely.

The extreme user(13+ a game purchases a year), will probably buy the next version of the console which will have a larger hdd anyway. They are aware of the system limitations and will do what it takes to enjoy their game time.

The point is, storage isn't currently and most likely won't be an issue.
---
You can put icing on a turd, but that doesn't make it a cupcake!
#9SkeddyConwayPosted 12/23/2013 10:41:00 PM
aszsith posted...
SythisTaru posted...
aszsith posted...

Just did the math, and I overstated. You can have NEARLY all the available titles if you exclude roughly 20GB of install, which could be a single title like Zumba Fitness (24GB) or several crappy titles like Fighter Within (11GB), Crimson Dragon (7GB), and Loco Cycle(14GB).

So out of the currently available 25 titles, you can fit roughly 18-23 of them on the hdd at once(depending on titles chosen).

The average console gamer (4-6 game purchases a year) wouldn't own 23 retail games by the time they are done with the console, let alone right at the beginning. Most likely wouldn't even buy the console at launch.

The above average gamer (6-12 game purchases a year) will ultimately get an external hdd once they are supported, but won't need one any time soon most likely.

The extreme user(13+ a game purchases a year), will probably buy the next version of the console which will have a larger hdd anyway. They are aware of the system limitations and will do what it takes to enjoy their game time.

The point is, storage isn't currently and most likely won't be an issue.

/topic
---
...like hearding cats, if the cats stopped every so often to call you gay.
GT/PSN/GC: Skedd
#10crynryanPosted 12/23/2013 10:47:15 PM
Each type of data has a certain amount allotted to it, like games get ~362GB, system OS gets xGB, recordings get xGB, and updates would get their own space.

When you go over it, it'll probly ask you to what you want to delete, instead of just getting rid of the update for the game you haven't played for the longest time.
---
(>O_O)> <(o_o<)
(>O_O)> <(o_o<)