These huge game updates...

#11RyanJMcDPosted 12/23/2013 11:03:27 PM
Red Devil, I feel your pain. Even with a 2.5mb downstream, it took me a good 6 hours to download that damn patch. I've heard that the patch is for DLC, but if so, what kind of bull**** is that?? They make people download DLC they might not even want, just to keep it locked from use and taking up a significant amount of space on your HD, just so *if* you decide to buy it, it's already there.

I've only ever bought a few DLCs in my lifetime for games I really really liked. (I still want to get harley's revenge for Arkham City, haven't gotten around to it) I've gotten DLC for less than 1 in 25 games. Why push that to people when most people will never buy it? Why not let THEM spend 6 hours downloading DLC if they want it?

And the fact that you either download the patch or don't play the game is total crap.

I can't understand why these patches are so huge. DR3 already had a damn 1 gig patch.

Games are already taking 30-40 GB to install, which limits to you a max of 15 games. (I have probably about 50 360 titles). And if games are getting mulitple 1-5 gig patches, that's gonna drop your avalible library down to maybe 10 games. So now you have to delete something to make room for something else. But what if you want to go back to play a game you had to delete? Now you have to do the disc install and all those patch downloads again, which would suck if you wanted to play a certian game with a friend.

Like I had a buddy over, and I dragged out EDF 2015 and we had a blast with it. It wouldn't be much fun if I said, "Hey this is a fun little game....just give it about 6 hours and we can play it."

But when I posted a similar topic, the fanboys jumped my ass for daring to suggest that might be a problem. "Just watch TV or read a book for 6 hours dude. What's you hurry to play that game you just bought?" Or "I dunno what your problem is, I downloaded the 5 gb patch in 20 minutes."

Some serious delusions out there.
---
Jesus Christ! what the ****'s blown up now?
-Me after 6 months in Iraq
#12aszsithPosted 12/23/2013 11:34:15 PM
RyanJMcD posted...
Red Devil, I feel your pain. Even with a 2.5mb downstream, it took me a good 6 hours to download that damn patch. I've heard that the patch is for DLC, but if so, what kind of bull**** is that?? They make people download DLC they might not even want, just to keep it locked from use and taking up a significant amount of space on your HD, just so *if* you decide to buy it, it's already there.

I've only ever bought a few DLCs in my lifetime for games I really really liked. (I still want to get harley's revenge for Arkham City, haven't gotten around to it) I've gotten DLC for less than 1 in 25 games. Why push that to people when most people will never buy it? Why not let THEM spend 6 hours downloading DLC if they want it?

And the fact that you either download the patch or don't play the game is total crap.

I can't understand why these patches are so huge. DR3 already had a damn 1 gig patch.

Games are already taking 30-40 GB to install, which limits to you a max of 15 games. (I have probably about 50 360 titles). And if games are getting mulitple 1-5 gig patches, that's gonna drop your avalible library down to maybe 10 games. So now you have to delete something to make room for something else. But what if you want to go back to play a game you had to delete? Now you have to do the disc install and all those patch downloads again, which would suck if you wanted to play a certian game with a friend.

Like I had a buddy over, and I dragged out EDF 2015 and we had a blast with it. It wouldn't be much fun if I said, "Hey this is a fun little game....just give it about 6 hours and we can play it."

But when I posted a similar topic, the fanboys jumped my ass for daring to suggest that might be a problem. "Just watch TV or read a book for 6 hours dude. What's you hurry to play that game you just bought?" Or "I dunno what your problem is, I downloaded the 5 gb patch in 20 minutes."

1) Many games require a compatibility patch for DLC. Its not that they want to force you to download it in the event you decide to buy it. It's so the game will work online for all users without fragmenting the servers between DLC and non-DLC users. It ensures a smother online experience for everyone playing.

2) Some games are 40GB or more even (COD is 43GB). But the majority are also under 20GB. Peggle 2 is under 2GB. Devs will also get better at optimizing games for storage using compression.

3) If you want to ensure that you don't have an issue when playing with a friend, you could always decline the update. You know that you have update issues. You can blame others for the problem and demand solutions or you can take action and use the workaround they provide by selecting NO and playing the game sans update with your friend immediately.

4) People who disagree with you and/or attempt to assist you aren't always fanboys. Sometimes they are. But even if they are that doesn't mean they don't know what they are talking about. Perhaps their situation is at the far end of one side of the spectrum while yours is at the far end of the other side. Consider the possibility that your problem is a rather isolated one instead of assuming it is the most common one. Be objective rather than dismissing others who try to tell you otherwise.

Some serious lack of understanding how things actually work out there.
---
You can put icing on a turd, but that doesn't make it a cupcake!
#13archibald3Posted 12/23/2013 11:56:56 PM
RyanJMcD posted...

Welcome to next gen gaming - they`re only going to get bigger. By the way your calculation of 2.5mbs download doesn`t make any sense whatsoever with you taking 6 hours to download 5gb. that would take about 30 minutes at that speed. Your internet is hella slow if it took 6 hours...
#14Spetsnaz420Posted 12/24/2013 12:34:13 AM
Just because a patch is 5GB doesn't mean that you lose 5GB once installed. Often a patch will overwrite code that they made the patch for...obviously DLC is different but you dont necessarily lose the full size of the patch download.

BF3 (at least on PS3) had increasingly huge updates...people were upset until we found out each new patchwas completely overwriting the previous patch.
---
I don't conform to social convention
"Xbox people don't care about the truth, they only care about seamless multimedia streaming." - Stan Marsh
#15TheGam3925Posted 12/24/2013 12:40:12 AM
People are going to spend more time downloading and installing than actually playing games. That's why Xbone has the TV features.
---
360 - The Game 925
PSN - TheGame925
#16archibald3Posted 12/24/2013 2:41:53 AM
TheGam3925 posted...
People are going to spend more time downloading and installing than actually playing games. That's why Xbone has the TV features.

Is that anything like how you spend more time on the Xbox One board trolling like a 12 year old then you do actually playing games ? Don`t stop though it looks good on ya !
#17schmarkenheimerPosted 12/24/2013 4:50:18 AM
aszsith posted...

2) Some games are 40GB or more even (COD is 43GB). But the majority are also under 20GB. Peggle 2 is under 2GB. Devs will also get better at optimizing games for storage using compression.

They'll also get bigger:

http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/dlspeed1-640x360.png

With all the new stuff I can't see many games not taking advantage of the blu-ray (where appropriate). Still amazed that Ghosts is that large though.
---
Post of the ****ing year. - crimsyn_76 Best. Example. Ever. - Veliconis
Epic. - Xade76 Want to run that by us in English instead of Derp, champ? - pies12