Original Xbox could do 1080p ...

#11freakaccidentPosted 12/29/2013 7:00:52 AM
richboy900 posted...
ascendedcobra posted...
Wrong. The original xbox was crap. Ps2 , gameqube and dreamcast were better imo. The xbox one is excellent though. I'm glad I got it.

I had the ps2 and Xbox, but I preferred the Xbox. The multiplats just had to be owned on the Xbox, they were that superior. Play SW battlefront 2 on Xbox then try it on ps2... Lol. Worse viewing distance and longer load times (ps2). And san Andreas was also better on Xbox.

Xbox also had the built in hard drive, the ps2 8mb cards were a pain in the hole.

And yeah, I had scII on Xbox, that really does look good for its age. My favorite soul calibur game, even fighter maybe. I still play it on my 360 from time to time, but its laggy on the library level.

Agreed. I think the original Xbox was almost like 2x the power of the PS2 and was much more easy to develop for it. I tried playing the Splinter Cell series on PS2 after playing them on the Xbox and it was like night and day, I felt like I was playing them on a PS1. The Xbox hardware was even good enough to run both Doom 3 and Half-Life 2. They weren't perfect ports but it certainly was impressive for a console to run those games at the time.
---
AMD FX-8320 (4 GHz) | MSI R7850-2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB | GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-S2P | G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600
PlayStation 4, Xbox 360
#12richboy900Posted 12/29/2013 7:16:23 AM
freakaccident posted...
richboy900 posted...
ascendedcobra posted...
Wrong. The original xbox was crap. Ps2 , gameqube and dreamcast were better imo. The xbox one is excellent though. I'm glad I got it.

I had the ps2 and Xbox, but I preferred the Xbox. The multiplats just had to be owned on the Xbox, they were that superior. Play SW battlefront 2 on Xbox then try it on ps2... Lol. Worse viewing distance and longer load times (ps2). And san Andreas was also better on Xbox.

Xbox also had the built in hard drive, the ps2 8mb cards were a pain in the hole.

And yeah, I had scII on Xbox, that really does look good for its age. My favorite soul calibur game, even fighter maybe. I still play it on my 360 from time to time, but its laggy on the library level.

Agreed. I think the original Xbox was almost like 2x the power of the PS2 and was much more easy to develop for it. I tried playing the Splinter Cell series on PS2 after playing them on the Xbox and it was like night and day, I felt like I was playing them on a PS1. The Xbox hardware was even good enough to run both Doom 3 and Half-Life 2. They weren't perfect ports but it certainly was impressive for a console to run those games at the time.

Yeah the hardware was impressive for a console back then, it really was a beast of a machine. I wish they created the Xbox one in that way, then I would hand over $500.

The 360 also was pretty powerful when it came out, the equivalent of the gpu wasn't used in computers until the following year I heard. Again the architecture made it easier for developers resulting in yet again better multiplat games.

It is a shame Microsoft focused too much on the Kinect and media for Xbox one, they should have took a similar approach like with the Xbox and Xbox 360. Xbox one is like quake 4 following quake 3 arena, meh lol.
#13Semp1Posted 12/29/2013 7:23:20 AM
No it could not. It's native resolution was lower it upscaled to those resolutions.
---
XBONE+PS4=True Gamer.
#14NecrohotepPosted 12/29/2013 7:27:38 AM
Solis posted...
1080i, actually. 1080p wasn't an option since it only used component cables, and I doubt it had the hardware to send a 1080p signal over it (not to mention hardly any TVs accept 1080p through component anyway). Functionally however, 1080i at 60hz is the same amount of data as 1080p at 30hz/30FPS.

I don't see how any of that relates to the Xbox One though. If anything wouldn't that just make its eventual 4K support seem all the more reasonable?

Yeah it was 1080i. I remember playing Enter the Matrix in 1080i on original Xbox. Now Xbox One can't even display 1080i and gets downscaled to 480p on some HDTVs (that can only support 1080i and 480p). Hopefully MS includes 1080i support in the next XB1 update.
#15freakaccidentPosted 12/29/2013 7:34:11 AM
richboy900 posted...
freakaccident posted...
richboy900 posted...
ascendedcobra posted...

Yeah the hardware was impressive for a console back then, it really was a beast of a machine. I wish they created the Xbox one in that way, then I would hand over $500.

The 360 also was pretty powerful when it came out, the equivalent of the gpu wasn't used in computers until the following year I heard. Again the architecture made it easier for developers resulting in yet again better multiplat games.

It is a shame Microsoft focused too much on the Kinect and media for Xbox one, they should have took a similar approach like with the Xbox and Xbox 360. Xbox one is like quake 4 following quake 3 arena, meh lol.

Haha yeah I totally agree with you on this. I feel like they're trying to be like the Wii now and use gimmicks to make up for it's not so impressive hardware. PS4 has similar hardware but it's still got a bit more of an edge over the Xbox One. I was really let down with the Xbox One, I was routing for MS because I very much liked the Xbox and Xbox 360.
---
AMD FX-8320 (4 GHz) | MSI R7850-2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB | GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-S2P | G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600
PlayStation 4, Xbox 360
#16richboy900Posted 12/29/2013 7:43:36 AM
freakaccident posted...
richboy900 posted...
freakaccident posted...
richboy900 posted...
ascendedcobra posted...

Haha yeah I totally agree with you on this. I feel like they're trying to be like the Wii now and use gimmicks to make up for it's not so impressive hardware. PS4 has similar hardware but it's still got a bit more of an edge over the Xbox One. I was really let down with the Xbox One, I was routing for MS because I very much liked the Xbox and Xbox 360.

It was dumb they held back since Sony really need the ps4 to do well, which it will now. Not saying I want Sony out the gaming business but Ms had a chance and money to really outdo them but just didn't.