After spending November ~ December with my Ps4, WiiU, and Xbox One

#1Shiro-RedWind-Posted 12/27/2013 7:24:57 AM
I wanted to add my change to the cup. Before I do and I don't even feel I need to do this, I want to set the record straight on a few things.

- I've owned 2 Xbox 360s, both of which have died of RRoD. ( One in the earlier years of it's life span, and the other as of October this year. )

- I've owned 2 Ps3s and one of them RLoD on me, then YLoD later on. The current one works fine.

- My Wii still runs everything and is the only console that has not bricked, blown out, or went dead on me.

Now with that being said in addition to some other tibids, I have also owned the original Xbox, Playstation 2 and 1, N64, Dreamcast, and if we go back again SNES and Sega Genesis. Never had a Saturn or any of that other stuff, but I emulate those titles they are nice gems.

Now then, from my standpoint I am going to just narrow down a few things I like on reach console and what I don't.

PS4:

+ Really fast installs
+ Incredible Graphics
+ Game Downloads in Standby
+ Cellphone Charger works on DS4
+ Games like Warframe, Killzone, and Resogun offer a taste of what's to come.

- Not that many titles out for it comparably to the X1 and even more so to the WiiU but it is launch so this is iffy.
- DS4 at random times offers lights to indicate things and I have no clue what it may mean. (Just figured out some of them.)
- Touch pad can be in some cases a bit unresponsive. (In Warframe for example you need to do a full stroke from down to up, or up to down for some skills, but a flick left or right makes others go off. Should be the same all around. )

X1:

+ Good gaming library for the start.
+ Ryse is a powerhouse and shows off great tech capabilities as does DR3.
+ Smaller controller ( I didn't like the old 360 Controller. But regardless the DPad on the X1 controller is still bull dinky )
+ Pinning important things to my dash makes it faster to locate them.
+ Smartglass on cell to look up things for my X1 while I am out of the house is nice.

- The UI is clunky and unless you intend to use Kinect it is a burden to navigate.
- Leaving the system in quick boot seems about the only justified means of use to turn it off if you want to resume gaming, but it doesn't offer game downloads in the background like PS4 or WiiU, just patch updates.
- No option for Paypal to purchase games or apps.
- So many things buried under the UI that you either have to pin them when you find them, or you're forced to use the Kinect every time for speedy access.
- Downloading games before play can take 40 mins + and still not be done even when you're playing.
- No warning for controller death when batteries are going out. It just poofs.

WiiU:

+ Decent sized gaming library for the console at this current time.
+ A lot of really good IPs coming out and soon to come (W101, Bayonetta 2, etc.)
+ Playing on the WiiU controller is great for when my friends come over and want to play something else.
+ Pretty simple interface, very reflective of the Wii which I loved.

- Consoles come short on internal memory so if you plan to download games this is a hit as you need either the Black variant of the console or an external.
- Most games are rehashes or remakes of other titles from the PS3/360 library with " new features " that end up getting ported to the Ps3 or 360 later ( See Razor's Edge and Deus Ex )
- Controller itself takes up a whole outlet space to charge.
- Firmware updates come sporadically it seems.
- And some just jank the console up.

So there you have it. Just my thoughts on all of the consoles at current. I do play my X1 a lot more than my PS4. But my PS3 gets more game time than any of the new consoles. But it does look like a great time to be a gamer!
---
"Gamefaqs doesn't allow Common Sense." - Tifanity
"Shiro -Red Wind- slaying posters with the mighty winds of Asgard as usual." - Sage_Han
#2ILikeGamesManPosted 12/27/2013 7:28:25 AM
I agree with pretty much all of that. I also play my X1 more than my PS4, but both systems have pros and cons.

Two of the main issues you listed on X1 both deal with UI issues, which should hopefully change when they do the dashboard update & external support. Its a good sign when the negatives are pretty trivial overall.
#3Shiro-RedWind-(Topic Creator)Posted 12/27/2013 7:34:47 AM(edited)
ILikeGamesMan posted...
I agree with pretty much all of that. I also play my X1 more than my PS4, but both systems have pros and cons.

Two of the main issues you listed on X1 both deal with UI issues, which should hopefully change when they do the dashboard update & external support. Its a good sign when the negatives are pretty trivial overall.

Yeah. Most of it can be fixed with an update and hopefully they can do something about the download times. I'm not worried about the whole " DRM might come back " thing. They said they took it out, and people are not realizing you can't just buy a game online and play it offline without the X1 thinking otherwise. The PS4 does the same thing, only difference is, at least the X1 lets you play the game of your friends if you are online.

If you're on PS4, the other person has to be signed into your name and only one person can be signed into a profile at a time. Thus keeping you both from sharing titles. It's a small gripe of mine as most of my friends don't have X1s but PS4s. But I imagine in the future depending on the titles is which consoles we'll play more when they get both.
---
"Shiro -Red Wind- slaying posters with the mighty winds of Asgard as usual." - Sage_Han
#4GnarKillsPosted 12/27/2013 8:10:45 AM
X1 controller light seems to get dimmer the less the battery gets. It kind of warns you but wish it was like the 360 and had a better system.

Game installs haven't kept me out of a game for more than 5 minutes. Put them in and with that time I can boot the game and play it. Seems odd that these install times are all over the place for people.
---
GT- GnarKills Currently Playing - CoD Ghosts(360/X1), Ryse, Dead Rising 3, NBA 2K14(X1), Battlefield 4(X1), Killer Instinct, Lego Marvel(X1), AC4:Black Flag(X1)
#5jcosta223Posted 12/27/2013 8:15:06 AM
i consider myself a sony guy. Got the ps4 at launch and was enjoying rivals, resogun, 2k14. killzone is very meh and should be grateful it got the reviews it received. knack is cool but after beating it, find it difficult to play it anymore. nba 2k14 crashes everytime for my career so i am selling it since i only want to play that mode.

got the one as a gift and loving forza and dr3. ryse is really cool but i can see the hate on the gameplay and how short it is. forza will probably be taking most of my time for a while.
#6Special-EddPosted 12/27/2013 8:16:50 AM
I own everything but a WiiU. I figure if they release a Smash Bros bundle that is when I will buy myself one. I enjoy the PS4 and XB1 a lot and agree with a lot of the things you mentioned. One negative I didn't see you mention was that the Dual shock 4 battery life seems very short especially compared to the play and charge kit for the XB1 or even the dual shock 3 controller. Perhaps they will release an aftermarket battery with a better charge to it.

The fact that the PS4 has the low battery warning is good and it is quite unbelievable that MS overlooked such a basic idea for their UI. Just yesterday I managed to ruin a perfectly good streak in CoD because my battery died right in the middle of a firefight. This is something I am sure can be fixed in a future update along with stuff like friend notifications and voice messaging.
---
RebelGameMaster: You can't say poop is better than french toast because some people like the taste of poop.
Proud day one adopter of PS4 and Xbox One
#7Shiro-RedWind-(Topic Creator)Posted 12/27/2013 8:39:56 AM
Special-Edd posted...
I own everything but a WiiU. I figure if they release a Smash Bros bundle that is when I will buy myself one. I enjoy the PS4 and XB1 a lot and agree with a lot of the things you mentioned. One negative I didn't see you mention was that the Dual shock 4 battery life seems very short especially compared to the play and charge kit for the XB1 or even the dual shock 3 controller. Perhaps they will release an aftermarket battery with a better charge to it.

The fact that the PS4 has the low battery warning is good and it is quite unbelievable that MS overlooked such a basic idea for their UI. Just yesterday I managed to ruin a perfectly good streak in CoD because my battery died right in the middle of a firefight. This is something I am sure can be fixed in a future update along with stuff like friend notifications and voice messaging.

The reason I didn't mention the battery as per say for me is because contrary to belief my controller has never died or needed to be charged constantly like most people say. If i game marathon it is very, very rare that my controller even when I check for it tells me that it is low. I'm not disregarding anyone else and saying that it isn't long. But both my X1 and PS4 controllers are in decent playing condition. I have only had to charge my DS4 maybe all of twice in about the 40+ hours of gaming I have done on the console. I know everybody elses milage may vary depending on how long they game (also take into consideration that features like rumble and stuff are using up the controllers power source too) and I just don't see the low battery life thing.

But it is better in the sense that atleast when the DS4 IS dying it warns me with a light that fades from white to red. So you can get a general assumption from there. But I do agree with you on everything else.
---
#8DojoMaxPosted 12/27/2013 9:22:28 AM
I was charging my ds4 at least 3 times a day
---
XBL: xShotz 101x | PSN DojoMax | I've had both systems and they're both garbage... :) | stop trollin
#9NightMareBunnyPosted 12/27/2013 9:42:47 AM
Marqmax posted...
I was charging my ds4 at least 3 times a day

three times? I've only had to replace my X1 controllers batteries once since launch
---
PS3 Tag: VV_Argost
XB1 Gamertag: GamerClawdeen
#10TheSilentRavenPosted 12/27/2013 9:46:49 AM
I bought the rechargeable lithium battery for the X1 controller and it lasts for a while. I played Bf4 and Forza for 8 hours straight and it still was holding a charge.