After spending November ~ December with my Ps4, WiiU, and Xbox One

#11jcosta223Posted 12/27/2013 9:58:28 AM
the battery does die quick but it also charges fast. i guess they wanted to keep the controller as light as possible. the ones controller is noticeably heavier.most gamers play for an average of 1 1/2 hours in one sitting. plenty of time to charge in between.
#12Special-EddPosted 12/27/2013 10:29:53 AM
Shiro-RedWind- posted...
Special-Edd posted...
I own everything but a WiiU. I figure if they release a Smash Bros bundle that is when I will buy myself one. I enjoy the PS4 and XB1 a lot and agree with a lot of the things you mentioned. One negative I didn't see you mention was that the Dual shock 4 battery life seems very short especially compared to the play and charge kit for the XB1 or even the dual shock 3 controller. Perhaps they will release an aftermarket battery with a better charge to it.

The fact that the PS4 has the low battery warning is good and it is quite unbelievable that MS overlooked such a basic idea for their UI. Just yesterday I managed to ruin a perfectly good streak in CoD because my battery died right in the middle of a firefight. This is something I am sure can be fixed in a future update along with stuff like friend notifications and voice messaging.

The reason I didn't mention the battery as per say for me is because contrary to belief my controller has never died or needed to be charged constantly like most people say. If i game marathon it is very, very rare that my controller even when I check for it tells me that it is low. I'm not disregarding anyone else and saying that it isn't long. But both my X1 and PS4 controllers are in decent playing condition. I have only had to charge my DS4 maybe all of twice in about the 40+ hours of gaming I have done on the console. I know everybody elses milage may vary depending on how long they game (also take into consideration that features like rumble and stuff are using up the controllers power source too) and I just don't see the low battery life thing.

But it is better in the sense that atleast when the DS4 IS dying it warns me with a light that fades from white to red. So you can get a general assumption from there. But I do agree with you on everything else.

Twice in about 40+ hours? That seems quite remarkable to me especially considering most people report less than half of that including myself. I'd say I get between 7 or 8 hours a charge which isn't really terrible but not nearly as good as the 20 hour charge from a fresh DS3 controller. People who plug headsets into the DS4 report about a 5 hour life per full charge.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but the different "mileages" seems off by quite a bit. Like driving a muscle car vs a hybrid.

But yes, the controller does charge fairly quickly and being able to charge it in standby is a huge plus since you couldn't on the PS3.
---
RebelGameMaster: You can't say poop is better than french toast because some people like the taste of poop.
Proud day one adopter of PS4 and Xbox One
#13Shiro-RedWind-(Topic Creator)Posted 12/27/2013 11:18:06 AM
Special-Edd posted...
Shiro-RedWind- posted...
Special-Edd posted...
I own everything but a WiiU. I figure if they release a Smash Bros bundle that is when I will buy myself one. I enjoy the PS4 and XB1 a lot and agree with a lot of the things you mentioned. One negative I didn't see you mention was that the Dual shock 4 battery life seems very short especially compared to the play and charge kit for the XB1 or even the dual shock 3 controller. Perhaps they will release an aftermarket battery with a better charge to it.

The fact that the PS4 has the low battery warning is good and it is quite unbelievable that MS overlooked such a basic idea for their UI. Just yesterday I managed to ruin a perfectly good streak in CoD because my battery died right in the middle of a firefight. This is something I am sure can be fixed in a future update along with stuff like friend notifications and voice messaging.

The reason I didn't mention the battery as per say for me is because contrary to belief my controller has never died or needed to be charged constantly like most people say. If i game marathon it is very, very rare that my controller even when I check for it tells me that it is low. I'm not disregarding anyone else and saying that it isn't long. But both my X1 and PS4 controllers are in decent playing condition. I have only had to charge my DS4 maybe all of twice in about the 40+ hours of gaming I have done on the console. I know everybody elses milage may vary depending on how long they game (also take into consideration that features like rumble and stuff are using up the controllers power source too) and I just don't see the low battery life thing.

But it is better in the sense that atleast when the DS4 IS dying it warns me with a light that fades from white to red. So you can get a general assumption from there. But I do agree with you on everything else.

Twice in about 40+ hours? That seems quite remarkable to me especially considering most people report less than half of that including myself. I'd say I get between 7 or 8 hours a charge which isn't really terrible but not nearly as good as the 20 hour charge from a fresh DS3 controller. People who plug headsets into the DS4 report about a 5 hour life per full charge.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but the different "mileages" seems off by quite a bit. Like driving a muscle car vs a hybrid.

But yes, the controller does charge fairly quickly and being able to charge it in standby is a huge plus since you couldn't on the PS3.

Oh yeah without a doubt. Like said, I don't call anybody around me who if they have less battery time compared to me. But I've played like Warframe once for 12 hours straight and never found reason to charge it until the following morning when it said it had 1 bar. It certainly doesn't have the DS3's battery life, but me personally I don't see it being that bad.

Also, while everyone keeps going " The X1 controller is superior cause it doesn't have a short battery charge " keep in mind that it is running off fresh batteries which usually vary in milage by brand anyway. If you don't have rechargable batteries your average play time is also a factor by what other controller prompts the game uses ( Rumble, Pulse Triggers, Touch Pads, etc. ) And as you mentioned even adding things like headsets and such draw from the power source, also lessening the battery life span. But a fast charge for a fast burn out is justifiable to me.
---
"Gamefaqs doesn't allow Common Sense." - Tifanity
"Shiro -Red Wind- slaying posters with the mighty winds of Asgard as usual." - Sage_Han
#14krillin4553Posted 12/27/2013 11:58:26 AM
The One can also charge cell phones too.as well, when the batteries are about to die on the One controller the Xbox button starts flashing.
---
XBL/PSN: DocDrazen
PC: i7-3770k at 4.6 ghz, Corsair H60, Intel 180 GB SSD, 1 TB Seagate Hybrid drive, GTX 550 Ti, GTX 260 for PhysX, 16 GB G. Skill Ripjaws
#15Special-EddPosted 12/27/2013 12:04:14 PM
krillin4553 posted...
The One can also charge cell phones too.as well, when the batteries are about to die on the One controller the Xbox button starts flashing.

I haven't noticed the xbox button flashing but then again I don't really look at my controller while I'm playing a game. An on screen prompt would be preferable for sure or even just a battery indicator in general considering how we have no way of telling exactly how much of a charge we have left.
---
RebelGameMaster: You can't say poop is better than french toast because some people like the taste of poop.
#16Shiro-RedWind-(Topic Creator)Posted 12/27/2013 2:05:08 PM
Special-Edd posted...
krillin4553 posted...

I haven't noticed the xbox button flashing but then again I don't really look at my controller while I'm playing a game. An on screen prompt would be preferable for sure or even just a battery indicator in general considering how we have no way of telling exactly how much of a charge we have left.

I was about to say the same. I never notice the flash it just goes out. PS has it pretty right with the notification on screen if you are so immersed that you don't look at your controller.
---
"Gamefaqs doesn't allow Common Sense." - Tifanity
"Shiro -Red Wind- slaying posters with the mighty winds of Asgard as usual." - Sage_Han
#17hobojohnsonPosted 12/27/2013 2:23:52 PM
I've left games downloading and turned off (put it into quick start) the system before or am I reading that statement wrong?
---
x360\X1 Gamertag = Osiris Prime
Friend Code = 476879648423
#18Special-EddPosted 12/27/2013 2:31:57 PM(edited)
hobojohnson posted...
I've left games downloading and turned off (put it into quick start) the system before or am I reading that statement wrong?

I think they mean that if you purchase a game on PSN it will start to download to your PS4 even if it is in standby where you would need to turn on your XB1 to start the download. This is handy if you aren't home and decide to buy something through the app or website because it will start the download immediately and save a bit of time.

However it does consume quite a bit more power in it's standby mode than the XB1 does.
---
#19zephirrainesPosted 12/27/2013 2:34:36 PM
Pretty good early review. Seems fair and unbiased.
#20hobojohnsonPosted 12/30/2013 12:47:10 PM
Special-Edd posted...
hobojohnson posted...

I think they mean that if you purchase a game on PSN it will start to download to your PS4 even if it is in standby where you would need to turn on your XB1 to start the download. This is handy if you aren't home and decide to buy something through the app or website because it will start the download immediately and save a bit of time.

However it does consume quite a bit more power in it's standby mode than the XB1 does.

Oh ok, thanks!
---
x360\X1 Gamertag = Osiris Prime
Friend Code = 476879648423