Games consoles, by definition, are machines built to have fun with. Toys.

#1SigmaLongshotPosted 12/27/2013 1:13:08 PM
And I am having a great deal of fun with my Xbox One as I have done, and WILL do, with my Wii U, my PSVita, my 3DS - I am yet to buy a PS4.

Games consoles are simply machines built to experience games upon. GAMES. Games are, by definition, fun with rules.Fun with constraints. Fun with parameters. But, FUN. They are for all ages - portals into unique circumstances where we all have FUN. The difference between games and toys are merely the rules - "an effigy, machine or creation designed solely for the purpose of amusement" is the definition of a toy - a game is the same thing with certain parameters.

So why is it that devices designed specifically to convey fun and joy - can cause so much ridiculous malice from people who refuse to accept they are playing an exceptionally sophisticated toy with rules?

You are playing with a toy. A cool toy, a super-awesome high-tech toy - but still a toy. So when you fight over which toy is cooler - you are nothing more than children fighting over toys.
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#2kingbahamut83Posted 12/27/2013 1:43:19 PM
*takes toy and goes home*

I agree with this. I can't bash too much on PS as I had PS2 and 1. Went to xbox originally for the first splinter cell and been here since. Everyone I game with is on Xbox now. Only 3-4 games interested me on the PS3 and I didn't care to buy it that much. Now that you need PS+ to play online, I'll just stick to my Xbox Live.
---
Gamertag: AccursedVenom
Commander of Shop Wreckerz clan
#3Mindwipe77Posted 12/27/2013 1:46:43 PM
SigmaLongshot posted...
And I am having a great deal of fun with my Xbox One as I have done, and WILL do, with my Wii U, my PSVita, my 3DS - I am yet to buy a PS4.

Games consoles are simply machines built to experience games upon. GAMES. Games are, by definition, fun with rules.Fun with constraints. Fun with parameters. But, FUN. They are for all ages - portals into unique circumstances where we all have FUN. The difference between games and toys are merely the rules - "an effigy, machine or creation designed solely for the purpose of amusement" is the definition of a toy - a game is the same thing with certain parameters.

So why is it that devices designed specifically to convey fun and joy - can cause so much ridiculous malice from people who refuse to accept they are playing an exceptionally sophisticated toy with rules?

You are playing with a toy. A cool toy, a super-awesome high-tech toy - but still a toy. So when you fight over which toy is cooler - you are nothing more than children fighting over toys.

exactly, and going by this website ps4/xbox 1 board, there is certainly no shortage of children here
---
Lightning Returns, MY GOTY 2014
Proud owner of Xbox One,PS 4 and Wii U
#4Viet0nePosted 12/27/2013 2:25:35 PM
Even if you use the analogy that the Xbox One and the PS4 are toys, it's not a matter of which toy is cooler. At that point, it becomes which toy does a better job when they both do similar things.

Lets compare the consoles like bicycles. The whole point is to use human leg power and convert it into momentum.

The PS4 is a specialized bicycle. Road bikes perform well on roads and mountain bikes perform well off the roads. Take a mountain bike on a road and it's not even remotely as good as a road bike and the same goes for taking a road bike on a mountain trail. It's just not good to use even though it's possible.

The Xbox One is a hybrid. It can go on the road and mountains but can't perform well on any of them. The performance is just enough to get by but you're potential will never be at the level of a road bicycle or a mountain bike.
---
Currently Playing: ACIV, Starbound, Borderlands2
PSN/XBL : VietOne
#5SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 12/27/2013 2:26:04 PM
No console is inferior as a toy so long as you have adequate fun playing it.

As a game developer (artist, but not the poncey kind) I look at all consoles and see truly interesting development and design choices for each; to say you'd never play with Turtles figures because they're stupid and green and not human, but you love He Man figures for being higher FPS animation - that's sad. If your pals come over and all they have are Ghostbusters figures in the Ecto One, play Ghostbusters! It's fun!! Who cares that it's not He Man figures?!

Well, apparently a huge section of you find it worth attacking each other over. Sad that boys and their toys have become quite so violent.
---
#6mcnichojPosted 12/27/2013 2:26:48 PM
People blow everything out of proportion.
Look at any type of fantasy sports.
---
PSN/XBL/Steam: mcnichoj
Proud Vita/3DS/Wii U owner. Day one PS4/X1. | Wanting people to have full knowledge of the facts about a console makes you a fanboy.
#7SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 12/27/2013 2:29:53 PM
Viet0ne posted...
Even if you use the analogy that the Xbox One and the PS4 are toys, it's not a matter of which toy is cooler. At that point, it becomes which toy does a better job when they both do similar things.

Lets compare the consoles like bicycles. The whole point is to use human leg power and convert it into momentum.

The PS4 is a specialized bicycle. Road bikes perform well on roads and mountain bikes perform well off the roads. Take a mountain bike on a road and it's not even remotely as good as a road bike and the same goes for taking a road bike on a mountain trail. It's just not good to use even though it's possible.

The Xbox One is a hybrid. It can go on the road and mountains but can't perform well on any of them. The performance is just enough to get by but you're potential will never be at the level of a road bicycle or a mountain bike.

The problem is that you see them both as bikes. I'd rather think of them as different beast entirely - I outlined them in my "developer's perspective" thread (here:http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/68151940) - the consoles shouldn't be seen as runners in a race, but rather foragers in different fields. One comes back with strawberries, and one comes back with brambles, and though you might prefer the way each does things, it's really just taste and speculation that makes you different.
---
#8DojoMaxPosted 12/27/2013 2:38:23 PM
Viet0ne posted...

You're still doing exactly what his analogy said. Some of you just can't let it go. Its really, REALLY, sad.
---
XBL: xShotz 101x | PSN DojoMax | I've had both systems and they're both garbage... :) | stop trollin
#9Juzten76Posted 12/27/2013 2:49:04 PM
Marqmax posted...
Viet0ne posted...

You're still doing exactly what his analogy said. Some of you just can't let it go. Its really, REALLY, sad.

LOL I know right? It's getting so sad.
#10Reflex-ArcPosted 12/27/2013 2:55:55 PM
My Go-bots, GI Joes, and Masters of the Universe figures all get along, why can't we?
---
Case | Mother Board | CPU (OC'd!) | Video Card x 2 | RAM | PSU | SSD | HDD | Some Fans | Monitor | Mouse | Keyboard