Is Kinect and it's functionality worth $100 to you?

#81Chaos StrykerPosted 1/8/2014 12:17:54 AM
Nope.

It's one of the big reasons why I'm avoiding the Xbone until a significant price drop. The Kinect does absolutely nothing to enhance my gameplay experience in any game that it's in.
---
There are only two types of people in this world. People who finish what they start and
#82MetaIGearRexPosted 1/8/2014 12:21:36 AM
I would have said no before i used it but now i love it. Its like a hands free universal remote and those things start at 100$ and go way up.

100$ might sound like a lot, but in the long run its gonna let me be a lot more lazy for years to come.
---
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing all your life." - Mickey Mantle
#83CaIiber345Posted 1/8/2014 12:33:03 AM
Tenzhi posted...
...but I'm afraid I'll never get tired of saying how much I hate the Kinect, or motion/voice control in general. I don't want it at any price. I would prefer it to NOT be bundled with the system so it can remain a niche product where it belongs, unlikely to be supported in any given game that's not specifically designed for it, with controller users not getting unfairly penalized for using a push of the button because the developers know it's a superior form of control sans such penalties.

BeefEaster posted...
I would buy an xbox one in a heartbeat if their was a kinectless version for $100 less

These.

TerraUniverse posted...
And with every Xbox One having one, that means more developers will make games for it.

Keep telling yourselves this. And even if they do, those are the games people want? Everyone calls both consoles ".5" without stupid cameras. You're going to get games that are equal to the shovelware on phones and tablets, nothing more. That's what will elevate a game console past the .5 mark? Oh, and cable TV! Sorry, adding media functions that we already have on countless other devices for years isn't innovating a game console. Perhaps a few retail games will add some interesting features, but stop thinking Kinect is going to birth a host of motion and voice integrated games that are anything more than five minute novelties.

And yes, I actually think it's an impressive and interesting piece of tech. But interesting piece of tech doesn't translate to innovation on a gaming console. Microsoft spent too much money on the idea that they can capture the magic of the original Wii. That's not going to happen. Everyone else is either a technophile, fanboy, or one of the normal people that just wanted to stick with Xbox and is taking Kinect with it because they have to.
---
A GameFAQS Troll attacked for +12 damage!
Heimskr is my life coach.
#84Superman070776Posted 1/8/2014 2:41:24 AM
Everything about the X1 is worth $100 more than the alternative. If I was broke and needed a cheaper option, I would just wait and save up some more.
---
https://www.youtube.com/user/BoilingKoolaid
#85Viper187666Posted 1/9/2014 10:03:54 PM
Tenzhi posted...
...but I'm afraid I'll never get tired of saying how much I hate the Kinect, or motion/voice control in general. I don't want it at any price. I would prefer it to NOT be bundled with the system so it can remain a niche product where it belongs, unlikely to be supported in any given game that's not specifically designed for it, with controller users not getting unfairly penalized for using a push of the button because the developers know it's a superior form of control sans such penalties.

BeefEaster posted...
I would buy an xbox one in a heartbeat if their was a kinectless version for $100 less

Exactly! It would seem the poll results agree as well.
---
I refuse to buy XB1 until it's sold without Kinect. No, I'm not a Sony fanboy. See? http://viper.shadowflareindustries.com/images/myroom/DSCN0220.JPG
#86kyncaniPosted 1/11/2014 11:34:23 AM
Viper187666 posted...
BeefEaster posted...

It's a no brainer the Xbox One would sell better without Kinect.
#87Superman070776Posted 1/11/2014 12:57:12 PM
kyncani posted...
Viper187666 posted...
BeefEaster posted...

I didn't ever get a Kinect for my 360. I thought it was gimmicky, and for that system it was...but I got my X1 last night, and I like the Kinect 2. I haven't used it to play a game, yet, but I did get the free fitness programs, and I will give those a try this week. Just for the functionality uses, I love the Kinect. Turning the system on or off by telling it, or having the console switch between my profile and my wife's profile based on who is holding the controller. I'm still figuring stuff out, but it has been fun to find new things as we go. People who hate on the Kinect probably just don't understand all of the features, and they think it is just there so the big mean government can spy on lazy people who don't want to change discs. I hope MS doesn't go in and change everything to cater to people who can't understand.
---
https://www.youtube.com/user/BoilingKoolaid
#88Lerp85Posted 1/11/2014 1:04:16 PM
Superman070776 posted...
kyncani posted...
Viper187666 posted...
BeefEaster posted...

I didn't ever get a Kinect for my 360. I thought it was gimmicky, and for that system it was...but I got my X1 last night, and I like the Kinect 2. I haven't used it to play a game, yet, but I did get the free fitness programs, and I will give those a try this week. Just for the functionality uses, I love the Kinect. Turning the system on or off by telling it, or having the console switch between my profile and my wife's profile based on who is holding the controller. I'm still figuring stuff out, but it has been fun to find new things as we go. People who hate on the Kinect probably just don't understand all of the features, and they think it is just there so the big mean government can spy on lazy people who don't want to change discs. I hope MS doesn't go in and change everything to cater to people who can't understand.

The kinect works, but some times it works poorly, or does not work properly, and it does not work as they stated it would. It was supposed to be able to hear you over other people talking, thats not the case. it was supposed to be able to see who was holding the controller and listen to them only, that is not the case. Because of the last one I cannot have my kinect on at the same time as my friend, that makes it useless.
---
I buy DLC. If that makes me a "sheep" then oh well. Don't like it? Oh well, get over it.
#89shauntenninePosted 1/14/2014 8:59:56 AM
nableet posted...
My laptop doesn't have a camera, but it is a work laptop.

If they can listen to my phone when I don't have Wi-Fi on or Mobile internet on, then I would be concerned. As far as I know, you can only listen to calls in progress with the Net off(?).

Sorry, incorrect. Since 9/11, every phone made is required to have a microphone built in that can be remotely turned on EVEN WHEN THE PHONE IS OFF. Only solution is to remove the battery (sorry iPhone users). This is all done without a warrant mind you.

Please watch this 1 minute video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2UTqrY5HgV4

Yes, we all have cell phones and they are basically required for life nowadays, but I'm not gonna give them even more access. And pay out the ass to do it.
#90SnoicFactorPosted 1/14/2014 9:02:04 AM
Nope. X1 would be a much easier purchase choice for people I know who are interested, if it were $400 no kinect.
---
nt