How's the controller?

#1VmodePosted 12/28/2013 4:03:45 AM
The old 360 controller is one of my favorites. Sure, the D-pad is an atrocious mess, though the rest of it ia actually quite good for a multitude of different types of games.

However, a lot of sites I go to for gaming news have said that after trying the new Xbox One controller, it's not as good as the old 360 one, whereas the PS4 controller is a big improvement over the old PS3 one.

To those that have it, how would you say the new XB1 controller stacks up against the old 360 one?
---
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven" - extract from Paradise Lost (Book 1, Line 263)
#2DojoMaxPosted 12/28/2013 4:28:14 AM
Its bad get a ps4
---
XBL: xShotz 101x | PSN DojoMax | I've had both systems and they're both garbage... :) | stop trollin
#3GnarKillsPosted 12/28/2013 4:45:38 AM
Personally I love it. No issues for me.

Being the successor to the 360 controller is tough because it's looked at as one of the best controllers ever designed for a console. So naturally people will compare the two and the new one will fall short.

DS4 being a successor of the DS3 was a lot easier because I know of very few people that enjoyed the DS3.
---
GT- GnarKills Currently Playing - CoD Ghosts(360/X1), Ryse, Dead Rising 3, NBA 2K14(X1), Battlefield 4(X1), Killer Instinct, Lego Marvel(X1), AC4:Black Flag(X1)
#4steelix55Posted 12/28/2013 5:31:41 AM(edited)
It is the best controller ever built IMO. The triggers and joysticks are a huge improvement over the 360 controller. The triggers are bigger and have a little curve on the side so that your finger rests comfortably on it. The rumble motors in the triggers are also excellent. I can't wait until more games start utilizing them.

The joysticks are a tad bit smaller, but there is a lot less dead space and they are much more accurate than the 360 controller. The plastic that the joysticks are made out of is also a VAST improvement over the 360. There will be no wearing down of the plastic like was the case with the 360 controller. The sticks are also a lot easier to grip thanks to a rough edge encircling the entire stick.

Some people have complained about the bumpers, but I don't see the issue there. They feel very similar to the 360 controller to me.

The clunky battery pack from the 360 wireless controller is gone, and now the batteries are tucked away into the controller. Makes holding it a lot more comfortable, as does the slightly changed curvature of the handles. The D-Pad is a MASSIVE improvement over the 360. All in all, it is a tighter and more modern version of the greatest controller ever, the 360.

It isn't the huge upgrade the DS4 is over the DS3 because the 360 controller didn't completely suck ass like the DS3 did.
---
i5 2500k @ 4.4GHz || 212 EVO || GTX 780 || Vengeance 16GB RAM || 1TB HDD || ASRock Z68 E3G3 MB || Corsair TX750 PSU || 12X BD-ROM || Win7 x86
#5CrownedOne03Posted 12/28/2013 5:32:11 AM
I like the new controller but it feels cheap. The back half at the seams where the front half of the shell kinda wiggles as if it might one day come apart. I have the Day One edition but I dunno if it's just my controller or a common thing with all the new controllers.
#6Jedi454Posted 12/28/2013 5:34:51 AM
It is a more refined controller, the 360 controller is ultra comfortable, but it feels sluggish compared to the One now.
---
GT: DyingRoman
My Gaming channel: https://www.youtube.com/DyingRomanGaming
#7steelix55Posted 12/28/2013 5:44:11 AM
CrownedOne03 posted...
I like the new controller but it feels cheap. The back half at the seams where the front half of the shell kinda wiggles as if it might one day come apart. I have the Day One edition but I dunno if it's just my controller or a common thing with all the new controllers.

Could just be your controller, because mine feels like it is built like a brick. I don't have the Day One edition though.
---
i5 2500k @ 4.4GHz || 212 EVO || GTX 780 || Vengeance 16GB RAM || 1TB HDD || ASRock Z68 E3G3 MB || Corsair TX750 PSU || 12X BD-ROM || Win7 x86
#8BoltVoltPosted 12/28/2013 7:44:07 AM
I find the controller excellent, there is only two gripes I have with it, the cover for the battery pack feels unbelievably flimsy, especially since IMO the rest of the controller is built very well.

The second is the D-PAD, functionality itself is great, massive improvement, just when i'm holding the controller I feel like it's in the wrong place, after playing for so long with the 360 controller and hitting down on the dpad i seem to always hit the controller or the mute button for the mic, but that's maybe just me.
---
Current Laptop Spec - Intel i7 3630QM, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 2GB DDR5,Nvidea GTX 675, 2 x 750GB HDD's 8GB ExCache, 17.3" 1080p Display, Bluray Drive
#9BbrendoshiPosted 12/28/2013 7:50:31 AM
I'm reserving full judgement for the controller a few months down the line. If the stick centering issue happens, then it will be on par to 360 with me. If they can avoid it for an extended period of time, I shall be incredibly happy with it.
---
Gamertag/PSN/Steam: Sakori
#10Bowser05Posted 1/1/2014 9:46:56 PM
Honestly I didn't even know people were complaining. For me it feels great. The improved triggers are great, as are the improved thumb sticks. The controller feels a little less stressful on my hands. The D-Pad is AMAZING and has enabled me to enjoy Killer Instinct A LOT MORE than I would have had they kept the old design. The weight is about the same and the back end is a lot nicer on the hands as well. It feels well built too.

I do have two complaints though, one aesthetic and one functional.

I feel like the infrared section gets scratched too easily. I understand that they have to use a certain kind of plastic, but the front of the controller has the same material...so first day of getting the system and the top section was already scratched just from my rubbing it with my finger to see how it felt (YES, my hands were clear).

The second, is that I feel like the Back and Start buttons are a little harder to press than before (whatever they call it now...options and menu I think?). I'll press it and it doesn't seem to register. So I have to press it again a little harder for it to work. I have this problem with both controllers I have so I'm pretty sure it's not just an issue with my packed-in controller.

I don't have the Day One Edition, as a heads up.
---
Playing:Dragon Age 2, Killer Instinct, Spartan Assault, Forza 5, Skyward Sword, Heart of the Swarm
Still waiting for Nintendo to release Mother 3 in the US...