Why is the PS4 doing much better in sales compared to the XB1?

#1blaze9990Posted 12/28/2013 3:47:32 PM
Serious question
---
Leader of the PS3 GTA V Board
PSN: flipication
#2Reflex-ArcPosted 12/28/2013 3:50:46 PM
Cost of entry, and the fact that consumers, on the whole, are easily swayed by popular opinion.
---
Case | Mother Board | CPU (OC'd!) | Video Card x 2 | RAM | PSU | SSD | HDD | Some Fans | Monitor | Mouse | Keyboard
#3TerraUniversePosted 12/28/2013 4:03:42 PM
It's not doing "much better" and it's selling about the same, although I would expect Sony to have an edge, because of the publicity they have had, but they haven't had enough of a success over the Xbox. I can only imagine if a lot of those extra sales are only because of the lower price point, because in that case, PS4 may not have done so well, especially since the more expensive Xbox One is selling so well.

Both the Xbox One and PS4 sold 1 million on their first day and have sold past the 2 million consoles sold mark.

I think it was a mistake for Sony to price their console way below what the market would allow, especially since Xbox One is selling as well as it is selling at the $500 price. If I were Microsoft, I would keep it at $500 as much as I can. I expect Sony to start bundling things and maybe making it so that the PS4 costs $450 with some games thrown in or something. Sony is losing money.

I also think the internet gaming community grossly miscalculated the whole gaming market. Up to the launch of the systems, reputable online news networks were talking about how PS4 was going to dominate this time and how people had turned against Xbox. The "gaming" fans were all cheering for PS4 and booing Xbox.

None of it was true. Xbox sold just as well as PS4 on its first day, and is taking in more money, and has a more expensive online network, which means more money as well.

Sony needs to go back to the lab.
#43HPPosted 12/28/2013 4:11:02 PM
TerraUniverse posted...
It's not doing "much better" and it's selling about the same, although I would expect Sony to have an edge, because of the publicity they have had, but they haven't had enough of a success over the Xbox. I can only imagine if a lot of those extra sales are only because of the lower price point, because in that case, PS4 may not have done so well, especially since the more expensive Xbox One is selling so well.

Both the Xbox One and PS4 sold 1 million on their first day and have sold past the 2 million consoles sold mark.

I think it was a mistake for Sony to price their console way below what the market would allow, especially since Xbox One is selling as well as it is selling at the $500 price. If I were Microsoft, I would keep it at $500 as much as I can. I expect Sony to start bundling things and maybe making it so that the PS4 costs $450 with some games thrown in or something. Sony is losing money.

I also think the internet gaming community grossly miscalculated the whole gaming market. Up to the launch of the systems, reputable online news networks were talking about how PS4 was going to dominate this time and how people had turned against Xbox. The "gaming" fans were all cheering for PS4 and booing Xbox.

None of it was true. Xbox sold just as well as PS4 on its first day, and is taking in more money, and has a more expensive online network, which means more money as well.

Actually it took a week for them to sell a million XB1s and it took 24 hours for a million PS4s.
#5Cosmic_DiabeticPosted 12/28/2013 4:13:32 PM
3HP posted...

Actually it took a week for them to sell a million XB1s and it took 24 hours for a million PS4s.

actually they both sold 1 mil at launch
---
Others find humanity by looking in their own hearts. Only lost souls need to search for it outside themselves."
#6ILikeGamesManPosted 12/28/2013 4:14:30 PM
The only reason it is doing better is because Sony lucked out. They had all the same plans as MS, but they waited it out. They let MS be the honest suckers and once they saw the backlash, they quickly (and very sneakily) reversed everything they did. They took out the mandatory camera to save $100 and pretended the DRM never existed.

After that, humans (being the pack animals they are), all joined together to hate on MS. The internet is filled with people who are extremely easy to influence and all they needed to hear was that MS was the devil before the outrage began. Sony went the extra step and even attempted to hate on MS...EVEN THOUGH THEY HAD THE SAME EXACT PLANS!!! They banked on the fact that no one would do any research and that people would gang up and hate MS. They made a pretty good move I think.

Look at popular games. They gain mass internet hate and people vote all 0's on metacritic without even playing the game. Look at the metacritics for some REALLY popular games and you'll see stuff like "I never played this game, but its just the same old crap as last year" -0.

I own both and the PS4 and XB1 are both amazing consoles and I will never regret my purchases, but I really wish the people that believe Sony is somehow this great messiah would do some google searches. They did some very shady stuff in the past and I have no idea how they get away with it.
#7EmbersOfElderPosted 12/28/2013 4:16:53 PM
ILikeGamesMan posted...
The only reason it is doing better is because Sony lucked out. They had all the same plans as MS, but they waited it out. They let MS be the honest suckers and once they saw the backlash, they quickly (and very sneakily) reversed everything they did. They took out the mandatory camera to save $100 and pretended the DRM never existed.

After that, humans (being the pack animals they are), all joined together to hate on MS. The internet is filled with people who are extremely easy to influence and all they needed to hear was that MS was the devil before the outrage began. Sony went the extra step and even attempted to hate on MS...EVEN THOUGH THEY HAD THE SAME EXACT PLANS!!! They banked on the fact that no one would do any research and that people would gang up and hate MS. They made a pretty good move I think.

Look at popular games. They gain mass internet hate and people vote all 0's on metacritic without even playing the game. Look at the metacritics for some REALLY popular games and you'll see stuff like "I never played this game, but its just the same old crap as last year" -0.

I own both and the PS4 and XB1 are both amazing consoles and I will never regret my purchases, but I really wish the people that believe Sony is somehow this great messiah would do some google searches. They did some very shady stuff in the past and I have no idea how they get away with it.

It was a genius business move though on Sonys part. They listened to the customers and acted faster than Microsoft did to fix things.
#83HPPosted 12/28/2013 4:16:53 PM
Cosmic_Diabetic posted...
3HP posted...

actually they both sold 1 mil at launch

I may be remembering the NA only numbers then, since PS4 launched only in NA.
#9nizam216Posted 12/28/2013 4:16:55 PM
Because people haven't realize the infinite potential of Teh Cloud yet.
#10TerraUniversePosted 12/28/2013 4:17:00 PM
3HP posted...
TerraUniverse posted...

Check your sources.

Xbox One sold 1 million consoles in 24 hours at $500. It is true that Xbox One was sold in more countries than PS4 at the time, while PS4 hadn't released in Europe yet (I don't think). Still, it was 1 million in 1 day.

from xbox news:

"Following a worldwide celebration, Xbox One launched in 13 markets on Nov. 22 to great fanfare. The team is excited to confirm the launch of Xbox One was the biggest launch in Xbox history, with more than one million consoles sold through worldwide in less than 24 hours surpassing day one Xbox 360 sales and setting a new record for Microsoft. "