Why is the PS4 doing much better in sales compared to the XB1?

#111TerraUniversePosted 12/29/2013 3:52:15 PM
rpglover13 posted...

I will agree that both consoles are about the same, but a lot of what you say is missing details and kind of got some spin to it. The 1 million at launch day thing is true for both consoles, but a detail that many reporters left out was that XONE's launch was over 13 different regions whereas PS4's was only over the 1 region: North America, which is usually more of a success for MS.

As for the price point, there are graphs/articles out there that explain the exact cost of PS4 manufacturing vs. price: they are actually making money on each console. I'd post a link, but I'm not going to waste time on that; anyone can look it up.

For the PS4 hype, that was a relatively good prediction for that time, before Xbox pulled its 180 on the policies.

The network doesn't really have anything to do with the sales, if anything it would be a negative for MS. Sony's Plus program has been gaining steam and covers both the 2 previously released consoles (PS3 and Vita) and the new console (PS4); the Plus program is bring over many new users.

The whole 13 countries vs. 1 country I don't think is that relevant. If anything it's good on Microsoft, because it means Microsoft has the potential to grow in America. The other thing is that 1 million sold is 1 million sold. You have to look at the logistics. For instance, there are only so many consoles that can be shipped out and produced on time. It's not really accurate to know exactly which one would have sold quicker. What would we do know is that they are both popular. That's like saying that something is really popular in California, whereas as another brand is popular in 13 other states. They're both still popular and both have opportunity for growth.

I don't think any of us know exactly how much they're making money. I'm assuming they both have similar power inside. The differences that people are noticing is because of the different OS and Kinect functionality of the Xbox One. The production costs should not be that much less in either console. They should be about the same. Also, people are acting like PS4 is using some totally different computer that's a lot more advanced. That's not true. If that were true, it would be much more expensive to manufacture. Either way, it's money lost for Sony, because they could have charged more. Also, no matter what the production cost is, it's better to be getting in more money than less. More money is not a bad thing. Microsoft is right now in a position were consumers are spending more money on the hardware and the online service. Even if their production costs were higher, it's still a good thing to have consumers spending more. That's kind of the goal of a business. Whereas Sony has put itself into a harder position because they can't raise the price of a PS4 anymore. Microsoft doesn't have to lower their price, which would be the smart thing to do. The console market is different in that prices don't fluctuate and once they set themselves into one price, they can't go up. Sony has to deal with their lower price. Perhaps if they offer a larger hard drive or something. They have to come up with some way to sell a $500 PS4.

Oh and with the PSN, I was referring to the Xbox Live costing $60 a year vs. the PSN being $50 (I believe). Microsoft is confident with their product.

I agree they're both about the same, and gamers are going to enjoy playing with both.
#112cheezedadadaPosted 12/29/2013 3:59:08 PM
MwarriorHiei posted...
Blizz87 posted...
Also Sony never planned to introduce DRM, or restrictions on used games. .

Incorrect.

http://ps4daily.com/2013/06/sony-changed-playstation-4-drm-policy-after-xbox-one-outrage/

wow that article has an amazing source!
/sarcasm

Well that is blind fanboyism at its very finest!

Take one minute to take off your blinders and do a patent search. Youll realize that Sony filed a patent for a DRM plan in January of 2013.
---
PSN- cheezedadadada XBL- cheezedadada
#113cheezedadadaPosted 12/29/2013 4:04:29 PM(edited)
For anyone who isn't completely and utterly blinded or doesnt want to fall in line like a mindless soldier following their every order, the patent number is 20130007892.

http://www.patentbuddy.com/Patent/20130007892

Get educated.

"Yes sir, Sony sir! Right away Sir!"

Dont tell anyone, but both Sony and MS want to make money. DRM is a real thing and it exists all over the place. No one likes it, but to pretend like Sony NEVER had any plans to do the same thing is so mindless that I have no words.
---
PSN- cheezedadadada XBL- cheezedadada
#114savagechild89Posted 12/29/2013 4:08:12 PM
TerraUniverse posted...
It's not doing "much better" and it's selling about the same, although I would expect Sony to have an edge, because of the publicity they have had, but they haven't had enough of a success over the Xbox. I can only imagine if a lot of those extra sales are only because of the lower price point, because in that case, PS4 may not have done so well, especially since the more expensive Xbox One is selling so well.

Both the Xbox One and PS4 sold 1 million on their first day and have sold past the 2 million consoles sold mark.

I think it was a mistake for Sony to price their console way below what the market would allow, especially since Xbox One is selling as well as it is selling at the $500 price. If I were Microsoft, I would keep it at $500 as much as I can. I expect Sony to start bundling things and maybe making it so that the PS4 costs $450 with some games thrown in or something. Sony is losing money.

I also think the internet gaming community grossly miscalculated the whole gaming market. Up to the launch of the systems, reputable online news networks were talking about how PS4 was going to dominate this time and how people had turned against Xbox. The "gaming" fans were all cheering for PS4 and booing Xbox.

None of it was true. Xbox sold just as well as PS4 on its first day, and is taking in more money, and has a more expensive online network, which means more money as well.

Sony needs to go back to the lab.

dont forget....the ps4 STILL hasnt launched worldwide. its still not out in its home country and if you think that isnt going to make a difference you a blind. imagine if the xbox one hadnt launched in NA. its figures wouldnt be anywhere NEAR what they are right now. not saying japan is going to make the ps4 skyrocket past the xbox one but i expect at least another million units sold from them.

OT: from a gamer standpoint. E3. plain and simple. sony OWNED E3 and microsoft is just now recovering from that backlash. sony told everyone everything they wanted to hear.

from a broader standpoint. anyone who does a bit of research and actually knows what they are looking at. stronger hardwarde (if only marginally) and lower pricepoint. thats a huge factor.
---
PSN: Savagechild89, 3DS Friendcode: 4983-5811-5759, Wii U: Littleraven89
#115savagechild89Posted 12/29/2013 4:12:52 PM
ILikeGamesMan posted...
Oh and not only is the PS4 not doing MUCH better, the X1 is also ONE HUNDRED dollars more. That goes to show you that a lot of people like what MS has to offer. People are still forking over that extra $100 because its what they want and they recognize a good product.

this is making a ton of assumptions. but part of this does actually hold somewhat true. i wont go so far as to say the product is better. people just have the brand loyalty. also, im betting a lot of people just dont even know about the whole E3 fiasco. i knwo the wide media doesnt.

you go and ask some random parent about the xbox one and they probably wouldnt know what you are talking about. yeah you have your faithfuls who will buy it no matter what but theres always going to be those people.
---
PSN: Savagechild89, 3DS Friendcode: 4983-5811-5759, Wii U: Littleraven89
#116TerraUniversePosted 12/29/2013 4:13:16 PM
OandA_Pest posted...

I just explained that Sony's launches are typically somewhat lackluster...

Yeah, the PS3 launch wasn't that great, but I thought Sony actually went in an interesting direction with the PS3 launch. I remember when they were trying to do interesting and cinematic things, especially since the PS3 was very powerful. They came out with Heavenly Sword, which was supposed to be like a movie, but with God of War-like combat. Afrika I think represented the new things they wanted to try. I actually liked what Sony was trying to do with the PS3 at launch, and they were much more experimental. Since then, Sony has become more Western and focused on popular genres.

PS4 definitely is meant to appeal to the large masses. I think it's a good idea, because they're making great games, but I also feel like Sony's playing it more towards the traditional gaming, makes Microsoft seem more adventurous with their offerings. Microsoft is willing to try new and fun things. Just compare Dead Rising 3 with Killzone: Shadow Fall. They're so different. Dead Rising 3 has the main character running around with a Mega Man costume and and outrageous weaopons a la Saints Row. Microsoft is in a position where they can start setting trends and trying out new things, whereas PS4 is stifled with trying to continue doing what it has been doing, since it is seen as the frontrunner in the race.

They can't do both at the same time. You either do less Xbox 360 games and more Xbox One game, or do more PS3 games and less PS4 games. I think they're going to balance out in the end. They have to pick and prioritize which console to develop for. Xbox 360 developed many exclusive games way before the Xbox 360 was even announced and it shows with the many exclusives Xbox 360 came out with at launch. Also, Xbox 360 had a lot of exclusive Kinect games which their studios have been working on. They're big moneymakers like Kinect Fitness Evolved and Dance Central, and they're popular with families and as party games.

I think both Xbox and Playstation traded exclusives. Xbox gave Mass Effect and Playstation gave the Final Fantasy games.

Altogether the Xbox 360 had more exclusives than the PS3. We're talking about North American releases, because in Japan they have a lot of niche games that are short and also a lot of the Japanese games tend to be episodic, like Atelier Rorona, Atelier Totori, Atelier Meruru, Atelier Ayesha, you get the point. They milk them, which is okay, but it has a tendency to inflate the actual exclusive games that come out. Even with these episodic titles in the North American releases, Xbox 360 still had more exclusive games, especially if you count the beginning games when they were coming out with the PS2.

And a lot of those counts about how many exclusive games are being made are PSN titles. We have yet to see what games their planning, but my point is that Sony has obviously been working on more PS3 titles, whereas Microsoft probably started working on their Xbox One titles way before, which would explain why they had the larger launch library.
#117TerraUniversePosted 12/29/2013 4:19:06 PM
blitz_0623 posted...
Who cares if Sony had DRM originally? Fact is they weren't as stupid as MS to force it in people's throats. What's even worse is that MS introduced their anti consumer policies after advertising the Xbox One as a stupid TV/Cable device in their reveal.

And then MS had to follow that up with confusing answers to how their stupid policies worked. Then you had Don Mattrick adding salt by saying stick with 360 if you want an offline console. Sony was never a messiah so stop thinking people bought a PS4 because they thought Sony were the good guys. MS shot themselves in the foot and the consumers went with the lesser of 2 evils.

All I see are a bunch of whiny tears from people saying "Sony are cowards for letting MS take the fall". Sony did NOTHING. They revealed their console first. They showed what consumers wanted. They didn't "wait" for MS to show their dumb policies. They already had expectations so they had to hide them during big announcements (ie forcing PS+ to play online was shown while gamers were ecstatic about being able to play used games, another silly announcement that won Sony E3 because of another idiotic mistake by Microsoft).

I wonder how it actually played out. I mean Sony did say that they were not planning on doing DRM. Who knows, may they weren't planning it?

I think maybe Microsoft was trying to be more like Apple and wanting to completely go digital with the Xbox One, the same way that iTunes is digital. I think console games can't go that way simply because it takes too long to download those games and it makes no sense to have discs that you have to be connected online all the time to play. Of course, DRM is a practice that no gamer really needed, especially for consoles. That's what a console is. It's a gaming device that has no DRM. That's part of the selling point. I still can't believe Microsoft contemplated it.
#118MwarriorHieiPosted 12/29/2013 4:25:27 PM
MwarriorHiei posted...
Blizz87 posted...
Also Sony never planned to introduce DRM, or restrictions on used games. .

Incorrect.

http://ps4daily.com/2013/06/sony-changed-playstation-4-drm-policy-after-xbox-one-outrage/

wow that article has an amazing source!
/sarcasm

Well that is blind fanboyism at its very finest!

Take one minute to take off your blinders and do a patent search. Youll realize that Sony filed a patent for a DRM plan in January of 2013.

blind fanboyism is calling you out on a sourceless article? i know about the DRM system sony patented and i hated it when it hit the news. and i also know that unless you post a credible source for the ps4 having a DRM system, you are talking out your ass.
---
http://i.imgur.com/fvUkkgN.gif
#119TerraUniversePosted 12/29/2013 4:33:42 PM
BushidoEffect3 posted...
TerraUniverse posted...
BushidoEffect3 posted...
more essays please. don't care. TL;DR.
I'm happy with my PS4 and its futureproofed hardware (for a console, GDDR5 is better too) and developer friendly architecture (unlike PS3). The weaker ones will eventually show its limits as years go by.

TL; DR

Xbox 360 was a lot less powerful than PS3, and still was able to play pretty match all multiplatform games and with exclusive graphics that were just as good.

In fact, I would say the Xbox 360 had the better version of a lot of multiplatform games, including Grand Theft Auto 5, which you could install and play quietly on the Xbox 360 console.

It all comes down to what I said--programming. This time PS4 and Xbox One are so similar it should not be an issue.

TL DR

It all comes down to what I said and previous posts. Since I'm right. You try too hard when my points already proved you wrong. Good luck running Shadow Fall on Wii U kiddo.

And if my post was "TL DR" then you have problems.

The TL; DR was a TL; DR for what I wrote before, because you said it was TL; DR, so I offered a TL; DR version.

It's okay if you're happy with the PS4. It's a good console. I just disagree that just because it has a stronger hardware, that the multiplatforms will be better, which is what you seem to be implying. The programmers can make the game run better on the system that is less powerful. It's the developers that determine that, not the PS4.

Sony can make it as easy as possible with their hardware, but that doesn't mean that the PS4 version of everything will always be better. Each game has to be judged on a game by game basis. I mean, to offer an example, the PS3 version of Bioshock Ultimate Rapture Edition had one plain Blu-Ray disc cover with one Blu-Ray disc and it comes with two games and one of the games requires installing from the disc completely, so it comes compressed. The Xbox 360 version of Bioshock Ultimate Rapture Edition comes in 4-discs, with a beautiful, pretty packaging, and art inside the slip cover, and doesn't have any of the games compressed, plus you can play the games installed completely into the hard drive with no noise. The Xbox 360 is better, even though the Xbox 360 is the system that is not as powerful. I don't know if that's because Xbox 360 goes out of its way to make better deals for its consumers, but Xbox 360 continues to offer the better version of many games, and Xbox 360 is a lot less powerful than PS3.

PS4 and Xbox One aren't that different so your argument doesn't work or apply.
#120Dy_WarriorsXoXoPosted 12/29/2013 4:41:40 PM
Reflex-Arc posted...
Cost of entry, and the fact that consumers, on the whole, are easily swayed by popular opinion.

That, superior hardware and focus on games at their announcement. Hell Xbox One was the system that most media outlets in the states have been trying to push.