its not fair that disk games are 10 dollars off but not digital games

#41Eug13Posted 12/29/2013 5:11:30 PM
Absolutely, digital downloads should be less. Less cost to produce... no shipping, no printing, no packages, no disc. It's crazy that they are the full price.

EBooks are cheaper for this very reason. And I'm more likely to buy a book for a kindle price that I'm not certain about than I would be paying full paperback / hardcover price so it increases sales and impulse buying.

This would also apply to games if MS would just open their eyes. Always have $10 or whatever off... people may be more inclined to buy a game if they're just flipping thru the online store bored. But knowing you have to go out to the store to buy it, you're going to make sure it's worth your time and money more than you would if it was just a click a away.
#42jonnyram4000Posted 12/29/2013 7:24:35 PM
Digital has it's benfit what if your house gets slamed well you can't keep your physical items but digital will be there.The only people that want physical items too broke to afford games why else would you wanna resell your stuff.I stick to buying new over used any day of the week digital for me.
---
3820 5ghz | 16GB DDR3 | 3way FTW670 4gb |Sammy 830 256gb SSD I sammy 1tb l Mobo ASUS Rampage IV Formula l ASUS PB278Ql PSU ST1500 l HD598 l HDTV PN51D8000
#43bgwilly255Posted 12/29/2013 7:41:42 PM
hollow-sasuke posted...
I buy clothes online and I have to pay for shipping. That's not fair. People don't have to pay for shipping at the store.

What? Of course you pay shipping and handling when ordering online because people handle it, then ship it. That cost extra. Buying a direct download digital game requires no shipping and no handling. Your analogy is horrible.

How can someone argue that he "chose to go digital and no one made him." That's a pointless argument in my opinion. He went digital because he wanted to. Why should he be chastised by Microsoft and game Devs for choosing not to buy a hard copy if a game? It'd be different if M$ hadn't already said that "all digital is the future of gaming." If they truly want it to be that way then maybe make it more appealing.
---
Disabled Vet. USMC-Sgt 0844.
#44Who knowsPosted 12/31/2013 3:59:37 PM
Eug13 posted...
Absolutely, digital downloads should be less. Less cost to produce... no shipping, no printing, no packages, no disc. It's crazy that they are the full price.

EBooks are cheaper for this very reason. And I'm more likely to buy a book for a kindle price that I'm not certain about than I would be paying full paperback / hardcover price so it increases sales and impulse buying.

This would also apply to games if MS would just open their eyes. Always have $10 or whatever off... people may be more inclined to buy a game if they're just flipping thru the online store bored. But knowing you have to go out to the store to buy it, you're going to make sure it's worth your time and money more than you would if it was just a click a away.

I am not an advocate for the crazy state of digital vs retail gaming pricing, but I want to point out an often overlooked bias in this argument:

Digital still has an overhead, just like retail.

Retail has packaging, shipping, shelf space, etc baked into its cost.

Digital has none of the above, but it has something different:

Server costs (and maintaining employees for those servers).

Now does this justify $10 per copy sold? No way, but it isn't completely free either.

That said, Microsoft needs to rethink its strategy of enticing people to buy digitally. After all, they make more money if a game is sold digitally.
---
I once knew, but now I no know, so who knew who knows?
Times people have replied to my topics with Who Knows? 51
#45skermacPosted 12/31/2013 4:19:16 PM
shads3055 posted...
the reason is. because I don't have to get up to change the disk. watch a little tv. play a game. watching tv play a game. all without getting up and changing disks.

Did anyone ever call you lazy? Do you also ask whoever is in the house to get you a soda and chips or whatever you want from the kitchen but don't feel like walking to get?
---
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive
#46skermacPosted 12/31/2013 4:22:44 PM
The point is why does MS charge more for digital? Doesn't that alienate potential sales?
---
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive
#47lunaticcorePosted 1/1/2014 2:28:39 AM
skermac posted...
The point is why does MS charge more for digital? Doesn't that alienate potential sales?

It is generally assumed that the prices are high because of the physical retail stores and publishers.

Undercutting retail prices with digital prices can lead to major conflict quickly.
#48dnmtPosted 1/1/2014 2:41:37 AM
shads3055 posted...
the reason is. because I don't have to get up to change the disk. watch a little tv. play a game. watching tv play a game. all without getting up and changing disks.

And so Wall-E's prophesy comes ever closer.
#49CaIiber345Posted 1/1/2014 3:08:54 AM
SALTandBURN67 posted...
shads3055 posted...

...I just lost all my faith in humanity

What took you so long?
---
Playstation 4, Xbox 360
"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" - Bilbo Baggins
#50aray48Posted 1/1/2014 3:26:13 AM
I buy digital on PC and get way better deals =]

Also, just leave your house or order a disc from Amazon. Sounds crazy, but it might just work!