Xbox One has become the premium console, PS4 is the budget console

#1TerraUniversePosted 12/29/2013 6:18:51 PM
It's interesting, but when you see Playstation fans complaining about paying for PSN (which Xbox players have been paying for Xbox Live since the Xbox original), then it's just an interesting phenomenon. It's like Sony has conditioned its players to expect a more economical approach when it comes to competing with Xbox. Sony has become the Walmart of gaming. It's basically trying to get the lowest prices and win people over that way.

I can understand that most people want the lowest price, but it's become a trend with Playstation. Playstation at one time was charging a premium for its products. It was like Apple, basically. Now, the way it wins players is by doing the cheapest thing and even then it's not working. The problem becomes that the people just want things to be cheaper and cheaper, and even when things are cheaper, they're not buying the PS4. They may as well have charged $600 for the PS4, if they knew that people weren't going to be buying the PS4 that much more than the Xbox One. If something is very popular, they can charge more for it. That's what Apple does. That's what premium consoles do. If Sony was confident with its used game policy, they should have seen that as an advantage over Xbox and charged more for it, since they were doing something good for consumers.

When you encourage people to always go for lower prices, then that encourages people to be even more cheaper. There are many people who would pay a premium for a console and this is where Playstation is losing money. Microsoft is charging $500 for their console and their Xbox Live costs $60 a year. They're selling like hotcakes.

Maybe Sony just got too excited by E3 and was thinking that everyone would buy Playstation and that few people would buy Xbox. The moment Microsoft reversed on its DRM policies, it basically stopped that plan completely.

It's interesting, because I don't Microsoft is trying to be expensive, it's just that Sony is putting themselves in this position, because they thought they would take the prize easily after their great E3 showing. Do you not see how Sony is making Xbox One the premium console?
#2koichiPosted 12/29/2013 6:21:28 PM
pretty sure the wii u is the budget console.

cheapest.

no online fee.

less everything but exclusives that are actually fun.
---
"It seems to have run its course, gone off course, rolled down a cliff, hit a cow and then exploded."~Sven(About a thread.)
#3SorbetowulfPosted 12/29/2013 6:23:37 PM
XBox One can't be a premium console because it isn't an Aston Martin.

Sony is a Toyota Camry, XBox One is a Toyota Camry with a camera.
---
GT: NE OBL1V1SCAR1S
#4RebelGameMasterPosted 12/29/2013 6:23:52 PM
At least TC was nice enough to tell else in what Universe this is true. The Terra Universe.
---
"I hated this game, the controls were awful," isn't trolling... But you'll probably still get modded.
#5TerraUniverse(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2013 6:30:19 PM
koichi posted...
pretty sure the wii u is the budget console.

cheapest.

no online fee.

less everything but exclusives that are actually fun.

At this point, Wii U is barely getting noticed. A lot of casual gamers don't even know that it's different from the Wii. Nintendo has great games, and they are fun, but I don't think most people know about it.

Sony deliberately chose to price their console at $400, when they could have at least matched the $500 that Xbox had, and maybe added a bigger hard drive or something. It just seems like Playstation is making tactics on the fly, whereas the Xbox One had a more long-term strategy, at least when it comes to how the console would be priced.

Xbox One positioned itself as a premium console by including the Kinect in every box and purportedly spending hundreds of millions of dollars designing the Xbox One controller alone. Yes, just the controller.

I'm curious as to why Playstation would bow down and go the cheap route, even after they've been successful with E3. Playstation is definitely popular.

Especially since at one time Sony used to have the most expensive in TV's and music players.
#6TerraUniverse(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2013 6:33:12 PM
Sorbetowulf posted...
XBox One can't be a premium console because it isn't an Aston Martin.

Sony is a Toyota Camry, XBox One is a Toyota Camry with a camera.

That is true that they mainly do the same things. So, you're saying that computers have dropped in price and that $400 is a good price for the PS4, and that the Kinect is what accounts for the extra $100 on the Xbox One.
#7RyuuHou25Posted 12/29/2013 6:40:13 PM
TerraUniverse posted...
It's interesting, but when you see Playstation fans complaining about paying for PSN (which Xbox players have been paying for Xbox Live since the Xbox original), then it's just an interesting phenomenon. It's like Sony has conditioned its players to expect a more economical approach when it comes to competing with Xbox. Sony has become the Walmart of gaming. It's basically trying to get the lowest prices and win people over that way.

I can understand that most people want the lowest price, but it's become a trend with Playstation. Playstation at one time was charging a premium for its products. It was like Apple, basically. Now, the way it wins players is by doing the cheapest thing and even then it's not working. The problem becomes that the people just want things to be cheaper and cheaper, and even when things are cheaper, they're not buying the PS4. They may as well have charged $600 for the PS4, if they knew that people weren't going to be buying the PS4 that much more than the Xbox One. If something is very popular, they can charge more for it. That's what Apple does. That's what premium consoles do. If Sony was confident with its used game policy, they should have seen that as an advantage over Xbox and charged more for it, since they were doing something good for consumers.

When you encourage people to always go for lower prices, then that encourages people to be even more cheaper. There are many people who would pay a premium for a console and this is where Playstation is losing money. Microsoft is charging $500 for their console and their Xbox Live costs $60 a year. They're selling like hotcakes.

Maybe Sony just got too excited by E3 and was thinking that everyone would buy Playstation and that few people would buy Xbox. The moment Microsoft reversed on its DRM policies, it basically stopped that plan completely.

It's interesting, because I don't Microsoft is trying to be expensive, it's just that Sony is putting themselves in this position, because they thought they would take the prize easily after their great E3 showing. Do you not see how Sony is making Xbox One the premium console?

X1 isn't selling any more than the PS4 either, so your logic works against you on that front.

Also, things being more expensive does not automatically make them premium >.> This whole post of yours is screaming reassurance.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liGiTVdVu1A
#80TiamaT0Posted 12/29/2013 6:54:56 PM
The One isn't a "premium" console. It only costs more money because Microsoft has to cover the cost of the Kinect that nobody wanted.

If Microsoft had kept the cost competitive, and put all that wasted money into new IP's, they'd probably be way ahead of Sony right now...
---
Myths, Lies and complete stupidity barely scratch the surface of your ignorance.
#9LaZyEyeZ0oPosted 12/29/2013 7:08:05 PM
Premium product is low volume and high price.

since xbox one is sold at cost and mass produced.

No.
#10skermacPosted 12/29/2013 7:09:54 PM
Great troll topic!
---
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive