any PS3 exclusive you'd like to appear on your X1 this gen?

#21scoobydoobydontPosted 12/30/2013 3:41:03 AM
GladiatorDanger posted...
BigLongDowner posted...
No Man's Sky looks pretty cool. Maybe something from Naughty Dog.

No Man's Sky is an exclusive?

No, he must be confused.
---
"I don't hate people, I just feel better when they're not around." - Charles Bukowski
#22scoobydoobydontPosted 12/30/2013 3:45:18 AM
Evel138 posted...
SPOILER:

When you can walking away being able to empathize and maybe even relate to David and his group of cannibals, who have every bit as much right to the survival of the fittest in the necessity of the barbarism of their world, as does Joel or Ellie...

....well, the story did its job IMHO.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest you are in a very select minority in feeling that way about said character. The writing was good, but not that good.
---
"I don't hate people, I just feel better when they're not around." - Charles Bukowski
#23Evel138Posted 12/30/2013 3:49:19 AM
Evel138 posted...

SPOILER:

When you can walking away being able to empathize and maybe even relate to David and his group of cannibals

Soooooooooo.............. you like to eat people and think 14 is an acceptable age for a "partner"?

Do you live in that world? No, your ass is currently resting cozy and comfortably within the safety of the civilized world. I think most people don't fully realize how quickly people would become animals under circumstances such as those.

Hell, you can see glimpses of it in the real world, even as close to home as events such as Katrina. How quickly those that feel they' re in desperate situations turn to desperate measures.

So is any of the brutality and barbarism "acceptable" in the context of the situation we're currently in at the moment....of course not, but that's not the world in which they live. Thus invoking "thought on the matter" (for some anyway).
---
GT/PSN: Evel138 Lucky Number
http://fav.me/d6gbf9y
#24Jeh64Posted 12/30/2013 3:53:03 AM
Uncharted or last of us.
#25Evel138Posted 12/30/2013 3:54:47 AM
scoobydoobydont posted...
Evel138 posted...
SPOILER:

When you can walking away being able to empathize and maybe even relate to David and his group of cannibals, who have every bit as much right to the survival of the fittest in the necessity of the barbarism of their world, as does Joel or Ellie...

....well, the story did its job IMHO.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest you are in a very select minority in feeling that way about said character. The writing was good, but not that good.

Let me ask you this:

Why are Joel and Ellie any more entitled to their survival (and the brutality shown by them....Joel saying point blank he's "been on both sides of the hunter equation")...because they're the good guys? If you're at that place....you've missed the point of the story. You may be right that the "majority" doesn't see it that way, but you've still missed the point IMHO.
---
#26scoobydoobydontPosted 12/30/2013 3:56:34 AM
Evel138 posted...
Evel138 posted...

SPOILER:

When you can walking away being able to empathize and maybe even relate to David and his group of cannibals

Soooooooooo.............. you like to eat people and think 14 is an acceptable age for a "partner"?

Do you live in that world? No, your ass is currently resting cozy and comfortably within the safety of the civilized world. I think most people don't fully realize how quickly people would become animals under circumstances such as those.

Hell, you can see glimpses of it in the real world, even as close to home as events such as Katrina. How quickly those that feel they' re in desperate situations turn to desperate measures.

So is any of the brutality and barbarism "acceptable" in the context of the situation we're currently in at the moment....of course not, but that's not the world in which they live. Thus invoking "thought on the matter" (for some anyway).

None of that explains you feeling sympathy for the character in question. I didn't feel any sympathy for Katrina looters, and this is much worse. It wouldn't matter if we were in that world, there was no justification for the things the character was up to.
---
#27scoobydoobydontPosted 12/30/2013 4:03:45 AM
Evel138 posted...
Let me ask you this:

Why are Joel and Ellie any more entitled to their survival (and the brutality shown by them....Joel saying point blank he's "been on both sides of the hunter equation")...because they're the good guys? If you're at that place....you've missed the point of the story. You may be right that the "majority" doesn't see it that way, but you've still missed the point IMHO.

There was ample... resources in the world, they didn't need to resort to that, nor did the character you are defending. Killing is not even close to cannibalism in terms of behavior, it's actually counter productive to be a cannibal unless there is literally no alternative (there was, there were plenty of animals an plants). Killing people who will kill you if you don't is justified, cannibalism in the world provided in TLOU was not. Hell, you the player hunts a deer at one point. Society collapsed, that doesn't magically make certain things okay or healthy. Also, fyi, Joel was rarely sympathetic, you must have missed the pretty vocal criticism of his actions in the end.
---
#28Evel138Posted 12/30/2013 4:06:38 AM
"Empathy" is something different from sympathy.....a concept you'll need to understand for any deeper meaning of the story beyond Joel and Ellie are the golly gee good guys and live happily ever after.

There are no good guys in their world....JUST as there are no bad guys. Joel pretty much sums it up in the end to Ellie: (paraphrasing):

"You find something in this world to live / fight for and then you do (get ready....cause this is the crux, the linchpin of the entire story) do what ever it takes to survive"

There are no bad guys...only people doing whatever it takes survive

---
#29scoobydoobydontPosted 12/30/2013 4:13:35 AM
Evel138 posted...
"Empathy" is something different from sympathy.....a concept you'll need to understand for any deeper meaning of the story beyond Joel and Ellie are the golly gee good guys and live happily ever after.

There are no good guys in their world....JUST as there are no bad guys. Joel pretty much sums it up in the end to Ellie: (paraphrasing):

"You find something in this world to live / fight for and then you do (get ready....cause this is the crux, the linchpin of the entire story) do what ever it takes to survive"

Nope. The character in question was definitely a bad guy, and citing a morally questionable unreliable narrator as the word of god strikes me as trying to make the narrative mean what you want it to mean. Joel doesn't dictate right or wrong for the rest of humanity, and I assure you even in universe, the majority of human characters aren't putting their stamp of approval on said behavior. You're also ignoring half of what I said when I pointed out the behavior was unnecessary and unhealthy. The character simply wanted to do it because he was objectively an evil character.
---
#30krystylaPosted 12/30/2013 4:13:44 AM
Evel138 posted...

I much prefer tragic antagonists there's something about understanding they do what they think is necessary and aren't just plain evil dicks.
---
FC: 4227 - 1514- 7752 IGN:Mara
PSN: JudasInHell Gamertag: Crystyn 7B