Why did MS uses DDR3 ram?

#11Joey-ZazaPosted 12/30/2013 12:22:08 PM
How you even know what the difference is TC if you don't even know what a verb or adjective is?
---
"I guess you could say I BLUE... myself!" - Tobias Funke
-StarTropics- -Golden Sun- -Ocarina of Time-
#12kissdadookiePosted 12/30/2013 12:24:44 PM
Most likely to save on components cost and that MS has built the machine more like a computer rather than a gaming console. Sony built the PS4 less like a computer and more like a gaming console thus they prioritized the GPU and they expect the pool of memory to be mostly there to support the GPU (it's like a video card which they attached a CPU to).
#13Satchmo25Posted 12/30/2013 12:26:03 PM
ILikeGamesMan posted...
Sony(c)(TM)(r) - Home of the teraflops!*

* Games sold separately **

** No games available at this time.

I lol'd
---
GameFAQS... a forum where the mods fall asleep for days at a time and when they do their job, they do it badly.
#14cheezedadadaPosted 12/30/2013 12:27:52 PM
krystyla posted...
ZenGamer64 posted...
Why not the more powerful DDR5 like Sony used is the PS4?

It's GDDR5, which is a version of DDR3, and has a faster bandwidth but is worse at multi tasking afaik

Its pretty much the case that GDDR5 has more bandwidth, which in turn adds more latency.
---
PSN- cheezedadadada XBL- cheezedadada
#15kissdadookiePosted 12/30/2013 12:31:25 PM(edited)
cheezedadada posted...
krystyla posted...
ZenGamer64 posted...

It's GDDR5, which is a version of DDR3, and has a faster bandwidth but is worse at multi tasking afaik

Its pretty much the case that GDDR5 has more bandwidth, which in turn adds more latency.

Less latency actually. It's more bandwidth and less latency because it's able to turnover the data a lot quicker. The more data you can move and the quicker you could move it reduces latency but on the flip side, it opens up the possibility that some other part of the system could be a bottleneck as it may not be able to process the data as quickly as the actual memory allows.
#16cheezedadadaPosted 12/30/2013 12:35:56 PM(edited)
kissdadookie posted...
cheezedadada posted...
krystyla posted...
ZenGamer64 posted...

Less latency actually. It's more bandwidth and less latency because it's able to turnover the data a lot quicker.

It's actually the opposite though in terms of actual latency. The higher bandwidth of GDDR5 comes with higher latency. GDDR5 is overall better and more reliable (actually - reliability seems to be back and forth depending on what site you read), but it having high latency is a well known issue.

AMD has an article explaining all about it too. They urge people to go GDDR5 if possible (of course), but the latency issue is still acknowledged. I had a link explaining all of this in my bookmarks, but apparently its gone so I have to dig it up.
---
#17cheezedadadaPosted 12/30/2013 12:35:10 PM
Actually I just did a google search for "gddr5 high latency" and a ton of results came up. I would just search for that.
---
#18CallmegePosted 12/30/2013 12:36:49 PM
kissdadookie posted...
cheezedadada posted...
krystyla posted...
ZenGamer64 posted...

Less latency actually. It's more bandwidth and less latency because it's able to turnover the data a lot quicker. The more data you can move and the quicker you could move it reduces latency but on the flip side, it opens up the possibility that some other part of the system could be a bottleneck as it may not be able to process the data as quickly as the actual memory allows.

l2computer
---
God save our gracious Queen, Long live our noble Queen, God save the Queen!
not changing this sig until we have a King - started: 30/8/2008
#19kissdadookiePosted 12/30/2013 12:38:52 PM(edited)
cheezedadada posted...
kissdadookie posted...
cheezedadada posted...
krystyla posted...
ZenGamer64 posted...

Less latency actually. It's more bandwidth and less latency because it's able to turnover the data a lot quicker.

It's actually the opposite though in terms of actual latency. The higher bandwidth of GDDR5 comes with higher latency. GDDR5 is overall better and more reliable (actually - reliability seems to be back and forth depending on what site you read), but it having high latency is a well known issue.

AMD has an article explaining all about it too. They urge people to go GDDR5 if possible (of course), but the latency issue is still acknowledged. I had a link explaining all of this in my bookmarks, but apparently its gone so I have to dig it up.

Only if you look at the CAS value in isolation. In context though (i.e. how they fit into the system as a whole, how they affect the CPU and GPU), the latency between GDDR3 and GDDR5 are similar.
#20deimos91Posted 12/30/2013 12:40:43 PM
staticxtreme5 posted...
Because DDR3 is plenty fast, and will most definitely not be the bottleneck in this round of consoles. The DDR5 is overkill.

THIS The DDR3 is plenty and there is no way on earth it will make a difference in quality until maybe possibly the end of the generation and even then it will likely be 1st party titles only
---
You're a caveman angrily throwing rocks at fire.