Why did MS uses DDR3 ram?

#91blacklabelicePosted 1/22/2014 4:52:10 AM
DecmanC posted...
IDK, but what PS4 fanboys and trolls are conveniently missing out is the fact that MS put some eSRAM in the XB1, but Sony didn't. Why don't you ask the PS4 board why Sony opted to use nothing in place of eSRAM?

they didnt need to. they dont use ancient technology and have to add other gimmicks and crap to make up for the consoles shortcomings.
#92EnclavePosted 1/22/2014 6:57:18 AM
blacklabelice posted...
DecmanC posted...
IDK, but what PS4 fanboys and trolls are conveniently missing out is the fact that MS put some eSRAM in the XB1, but Sony didn't. Why don't you ask the PS4 board why Sony opted to use nothing in place of eSRAM?

they didnt need to. they dont use ancient technology and have to add other gimmicks and crap to make up for the consoles shortcomings.

The eSRAM isn't a gimmick.
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an atheist.
#93KillerCabalPosted 1/22/2014 6:58:25 AM
Enclave posted...
blacklabelice posted...
DecmanC posted...

It is haha.
#94EnclavePosted 1/22/2014 6:59:03 AM
KillerCabal posted...
Enclave posted...
blacklabelice posted...
DecmanC posted...

It is haha.

Explain how it's a gimmick please.
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an atheist.
#95Laylow12Posted 1/22/2014 7:05:12 AM
They used cheaper and less effective ram than the PS4 to save money because they're forcing you to buy KINECT 2.0 and they didn't want the XBOX ONE to cost $600.

---
The Queen of Light took her bow, and then she turned to go.
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom, and walked the night alone.-Battle of Evermore/Zeppelin
#96KillerCabalPosted 1/22/2014 7:07:42 AM
Enclave posted...
KillerCabal posted...
Enclave posted...
blacklabelice posted...
DecmanC posted...

It is haha.

Explain how it's a gimmick please.

http://gamingbolt.com/xbox-one-esram-readily-available-for-any-purpose-smooths-out-optimization-dying-light-tech-director

The full potential of eSRAM, like the Xbox 360 eDRAM, is yet to be realized but for now, it appears the developer is finding a number of uses for it. “It’s especially helpful because the memory is readily available for any purpose and unit: the CPU, the GPU, textures, render targets, etc. It really smoothes out the optimization process.”

Looks like they are trying out how to use it. But they are just using it to store stuff.
#97cheezedadadaPosted 1/22/2014 7:14:21 AM
ESRAM on Project Cars:

"Our engine uses a light pre-pass style rendering approach and after experimenting with a number of different variations we found it was more efficient to use eSRAM to hold the deferred render targets. Careful use of eSRAM like this for the various render stages mitigates some of the advantage that PS4 has with its faster unified GDDR5 memory,” he said to GamingBolt."
---
PSN- cheezedadadada XBL- cheezedadada
#98EnclavePosted 1/22/2014 7:18:37 AM
KillerCabal posted...
The full potential of eSRAM, like the Xbox 360 eDRAM, is yet to be realized but for now, it appears the developer is finding a number of uses for it. “It’s especially helpful because the memory is readily available for any purpose and unit: the CPU, the GPU, textures, render targets, etc. It really smoothes out the optimization process.”

Looks like they are trying out how to use it. But they are just using it to store stuff.

Nothing you posted shows it being a gimmick, rather a method of processing data that while more difficult to utilise is overall more efficient (though apparently still not enough to overcome the gap in power between the PS4 and Xbone).

See, I'm not asking what it is, I totally get that. My question is how is it a gimmick?
---
#99TwinmoldPosted 1/22/2014 7:32:11 AM
Board User Level -1: Suspended
User's posting privileges have been suspended for one or more Terms of Service violations, pending review by an Administrator.

The TC's lack of subtlety must have extended to more than just this flopic.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheCptDecaf
#100GaldarPosted 1/22/2014 7:42:36 AM
When looked at overall, without bias, it's pretty obvious that Microsoft eSRAM < GDDR5 in the PS4, and this can be summed up pretty simply:

The peak bandwidth of the eSRAM under ideal situations is higher than the GDDR5 in the PS4, but it is also a small pool that most likely requires some extra work from the developers to use efficiently. I don't know enough on the subject to make too many statements, but I believe the ease of use for GDDR5 on the PS4 will more than offset the limited bandwidth advantage of the eSRAM.

With that analyzed, one may look at the two consoles and claim that they are functionally equivalent as both have given the GPU a similar level of memory bandwidth.

These people are of course, forgetting one huge issue: The Xbox One APU has to hold this large amount of eSRAM and in actuality is probably the only reason that the PS4 has a GPU advantage. That is, the PS4 has a 50% GPU core advantage (and others) because the limited space on the APU die isn't being used by eSRAM.

Moral of the story: eSRAM may put memory performance for the Xbox One GPU at or slightly above that of the PS4, but the die space wasted by the eSRAM is the reason why the PS4 is packed with more physical GPU power.

We can argue eSRAM performance vs GDDR5 performance all day, but it is important to remember that the eSRAM has more of a cost than simple bandwidth.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/171735-xbox-one-apu-reverse-engineered-reveals-sram-as-the-reason-for-small-gpu