NAT issues - Please help.

#11Foxx3k(Topic Creator)Posted 12/30/2013 10:29:45 PM
CapwnD posted...
Foxx3k posted...
CapwnD posted...
I would suggest getting a separate modem, and give the modem/router back to your ISP. And buy your own router too.

You'll probably get a credit of $5 or so per month (even though they don't itemize it, you're still getting charged for their equipment).

I own my modem / router.

Then I would suggest getting a separate modem and router. Combos are bad.

I have a terrible ISP and no options to change and this is one of the few non-rental Modems that they allow. I am not convinced that getting a separate router will improve the situation. Especially since google searches seem to be turning up a lot of results claiming that the a lot of these problems could be on the Xbox One side or a result of conflicts between 360 and Xbox One UPnP.
---
[LanParty nF4 Ultra-D] [AMD64 3700+ San Diego] [2x 1gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8] [2x 250gb Barracuda] [Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS] [X850XTPE]
#12CapwnDPosted 12/30/2013 10:42:06 PM
Foxx3k posted...
CapwnD posted...
Foxx3k posted...
CapwnD posted...
I would suggest getting a separate modem, and give the modem/router back to your ISP. And buy your own router too.

You'll probably get a credit of $5 or so per month (even though they don't itemize it, you're still getting charged for their equipment).

I own my modem / router.

Then I would suggest getting a separate modem and router. Combos are bad.

I have a terrible ISP and no options to change and this is one of the few non-rental Modems that they allow. I am not convinced that getting a separate router will improve the situation. Especially since google searches seem to be turning up a lot of results claiming that the a lot of these problems could be on the Xbox One side or a result of conflicts between 360 and Xbox One UPnP.

I'm pretty sure that's where the problem is though.. gateways are bad. Seperate modem and router is always better.

But I understand if you want to try to fix it with what you have first.

So it is possiable that your 360 is part of the problem too, since both devices need to use those same ports, and your UPNP table may be opening connections for the Xbox but not allowing the Xbox One to have those ports.

This topic may be helpful:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/68198171
---
Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh
#13Viper187666Posted 12/31/2013 6:00:26 AM
Considering everything is supposed to be on dedicated servers, you'd think having the NAT completely open would be less important on XB1. Hell, I used to lock down my connection as much as possible trying to get only bot matches on Gears 3 while I was going for achievements, but people were always able to connect to me. It might cause party chat issues, but I really don't see it causing disconnects on the game itself.
---
I refuse to buy XB1 until it's sold without Kinect. No, I'm not a Sony fanboy. See? http://viper.shadowflareindustries.com/images/myroom/DSCN0220.JPG
#14Foxx3k(Topic Creator)Posted 12/31/2013 9:42:14 AM
Viper187666 posted...
Considering everything is supposed to be on dedicated servers, you'd think having the NAT completely open would be less important on XB1. Hell, I used to lock down my connection as much as possible trying to get only bot matches on Gears 3 while I was going for achievements, but people were always able to connect to me. It might cause party chat issues, but I really don't see it causing disconnects on the game itself.

In Ghosts, I can play with a friend if I join in session. But I cannot party up in the lobby. As you can imagine this is particularly frustrating. Especially because it's relatively difficult to do all that on the Xbox One compared to the 360.

When I go to Xbox One Settings -> Network Test -> Test Multiplayer -> LB/RB/LT/RT; my detailed network statistics show :

Download speed

Upload speed

Download packet loss
0%

Upload packet loss
5%

MTU

Latency
94 ms

Detailed NAT Information
Your network is behind a cone NAT

[Ed - I've heard this is as open as it can get through this page.]

If I enable DMZ Host on my Xbox One, none of this is changed. But - on Call of Duty Ghosts, my NAT is now Open.

So, with my limited knowledge, this would imply that there is a port needed by Ghosts that the Xbox One UPnP is not, er, gathering.

Some google searching reveals that Demonware's Call of Duty Servers access port 3075 (as opposed to XBL's 3074). Disabling DMZ and Forwarding port 3075 through IPv4 leads to an "OPEN" NAT in Call of Duty Ghosts.

I suspect that there are still some issues, though. Whenever I try to log onto the COD Servers, I am first met with a "Servers are unavailable right now," although I connect instantly the second time I try to log in. I don't know if this is a product of their sloppiness or something on my end that remains problematic. (Note - this also happened with DMZ Host).

Note - When changing network settings, you must HARD REBOOT your Xbox One. Unplug power for 30 seconds or disable the standby mode from the settings.

Capwnd, maybe you know more than I do on this, but - My conclusion at this point is that UPnP is drawing Xbox One's necessary ports, however ignoring any additional ports that other games may need. This is obnoxious at best, but particularly problematic at worst. For gamers who own Ghosts on multiple platforms, this solution will only allow you to have an Open NAT on one platform without meddling with your router in between sessions. This also leads me to speculate if Battlefield has its own special ports as well. With more and more games using their own proprietary dedicated servers, could this be the case?
---
[LanParty nF4 Ultra-D] [AMD64 3700+ San Diego] [2x 1gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8] [2x 250gb Barracuda] [Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS] [X850XTPE]
#15bejoe87Posted 1/1/2014 12:48:46 PM
Another thing you can do is in settings clear alternate mac address, this restarts your Xbox One but often times can swap your NAT from Moderate in settings to Open. I realize this is sightly unrelated but might help someone else.
---
AWK Racoons!
#16NinjaDeath911Posted 1/1/2014 1:04:36 PM
Foxx3k posted...
This also isn't addressing why my Xbox One says my NAT is "open" and games (game) says it's Moderate.

Is it possible that the Call of Duty servers demand different ports than the Xbox One / Xbox Live?

COD this iteration is horrible, you're stressing over a horrible game that can't even tell if your NAT is open or not

Game is horrible
#17CyberEvilPosted 1/1/2014 1:09:05 PM
Just bridge the gateway your ISP gave you and buy a solid router to actually use. Then ensure your Xbox One IP is in your router DMZ or, even better, put your Xbox One MAC in the DMZ if it's an option to prevent IP change issues. Generally it'll keep pulling the same IP once assigned but if anything changes with your ISP (including having the modem off for a few days) your IP may still change. Using the MAC prevents that from ever being a problem. Make sure you're not throwing a Teredo error either from the MP test in the Settings menu of your Xbox; doesn't sound like that's a problem though.
---
Live: CyberEvil
PSN: CyberEvil-PSN
#18AtomicMenacePosted 1/1/2014 1:14:04 PM
Moderate or NAT Type 2 is actually the most common and doesn't restrict you from anything other than playing with people who have Strict or NAT Type 3. While most gamers seek Open or NAT Type 1, it is actually Moderate that is the most common with an even mixture of security and the ability to find plenty of users in online games.
#19CapwnDPosted 1/2/2014 2:27:29 PM
Foxx3k posted...
Viper187666 posted...

In Ghosts, I can play with a friend if I join in session. But I cannot party up in the lobby. As you can imagine this is particularly frustrating. Especially because it's relatively difficult to do all that on the Xbox One compared to the 360.

When I go to Xbox One Settings -> Network Test -> Test Multiplayer -> LB/RB/LT/RT; my detailed network statistics show :

Download speed

Upload speed

Download packet loss
0%

Upload packet loss
5%

MTU

Latency
94 ms

Detailed NAT Information
Your network is behind a cone NAT

[Ed - I've heard this is as open as it can get through this page.]

If I enable DMZ Host on my Xbox One, none of this is changed. But - on Call of Duty Ghosts, my NAT is now Open.

So, with my limited knowledge, this would imply that there is a port needed by Ghosts that the Xbox One UPnP is not, er, gathering.

Some google searching reveals that Demonware's Call of Duty Servers access port 3075 (as opposed to XBL's 3074). Disabling DMZ and Forwarding port 3075 through IPv4 leads to an "OPEN" NAT in Call of Duty Ghosts.

I suspect that there are still some issues, though. Whenever I try to log onto the COD Servers, I am first met with a "Servers are unavailable right now," although I connect instantly the second time I try to log in. I don't know if this is a product of their sloppiness or something on my end that remains problematic. (Note - this also happened with DMZ Host).

Note - When changing network settings, you must HARD REBOOT your Xbox One. Unplug power for 30 seconds or disable the standby mode from the settings.

Capwnd, maybe you know more than I do on this, but - My conclusion at this point is that UPnP is drawing Xbox One's necessary ports, however ignoring any additional ports that other games may need. This is obnoxious at best, but particularly problematic at worst. For gamers who own Ghosts on multiple platforms, this solution will only allow you to have an Open NAT on one platform without meddling with your router in between sessions. This also leads me to speculate if Battlefield has its own special ports as well. With more and more games using their own proprietary dedicated servers, could this be the case?

I assume that XBL is still just using port 3074 and UPNP for authenticating.
---
#20CapwnDPosted 1/2/2014 2:31:15 PM(edited)
AtomicMenace posted...
Moderate or NAT Type 2 is actually the most common and doesn't restrict you from anything other than playing with people who have Strict or NAT Type 3. While most gamers seek Open or NAT Type 1, it is actually Moderate that is the most common with an even mixture of security and the ability to find plenty of users in online games.

I don't agree with that. That's what people say, but that's not what I see when gaming.

CyberEvil posted...
Just bridge the gateway your ISP gave you and buy a solid router to actually use. Then ensure your Xbox One IP is in your router DMZ or, even better, put your Xbox One MAC in the DMZ if it's an option to prevent IP change issues. Generally it'll keep pulling the same IP once assigned but if anything changes with your ISP (including having the modem off for a few days) your IP may still change. Using the MAC prevents that from ever being a problem. Make sure you're not throwing a Teredo error either from the MP test in the Settings menu of your Xbox; doesn't sound like that's a problem though.

I was never able to fully bridge my gateway. The only solution was to buy a plain modem. And as soon as I did that, it was getting the kink out of a house.

When playing COD and somebody else would host, I would be right there with the host, popping up as soon as he did, millseconds or seconds before the rest of the people. In other words, a very long time in terms of network speeds.
---