Is LED the best option for a gaming TV? (42" size tops)

#31Killah PriestPosted 1/1/2014 11:01:36 AM
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/input-lag

according to that chart my tv has ~17ms of lag, which conflicts with reports and tests done by others which claim 34-40ms of lag.

point: too many amateur hour lag tests going on so you gotta watch what you're looking at, don't believe some random scrub on youtube that records a timer on his screen.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#32solo1300Posted 1/1/2014 11:13:40 AM
Whilst it's true there are many tests to come up with input lag, if all TV's in the database are done with the same test(s), then even though the numbers might be different to other sites, how they rate amongst the others in the database is entirely accurate. It will show that TV "Y" is rated better than TV "X", for Input Lag. I believe http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/input-lag, uses a few different tests, certainly beyond paying a minimum wage grunt with a stopwatch and a notepad. if you read the site, they explain the tests used, and why one is possibly better than they other for usable results.

And yes, there are many many other things to consider beyond Input Lag, to define a great Gaming TV.
---
XBL: - Rince, Wii-U:- Bigbruiser, PSN:- Moonkey1300
#33vashtrichamPosted 1/1/2014 11:14:24 AM
Killah Priest posted...
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/input-lag

according to that chart my tv has ~17ms of lag, which conflicts with reports and tests done by others which claim 34-40ms of lag.

point: too many amateur hour lag tests going on so you gotta watch what you're looking at, don't believe some random scrub on youtube that records a timer on his screen.

I believe Europe uses a different test for input delay.
---
Marvel heroes: Cap and Gambit
#34solo1300Posted 1/1/2014 11:21:06 AM
I would imagine so, different voltages, PAL vs NTSC, etc. English stopwatches probably even have an extra hand ;)
---
XBL: - Rince, Wii-U:- Bigbruiser, PSN:- Moonkey1300
#35Killah PriestPosted 1/1/2014 11:33:47 AM

testing in the US comes up with similar but slightly lower numbers.

vs youtube tests which all show almost double.
---
#36vashtrichamPosted 1/1/2014 11:44:13 AM
Killah Priest posted...

testing in the US comes up with similar but slightly lower numbers.

vs youtube tests which all show almost double.

They actually use a different test which was created not too long ago forget the name of it though. Ive never looked at youtube tests only avs forums
---
Marvel heroes: Cap and Gambit
#37Killah PriestPosted 1/1/2014 11:47:15 AM
They actually use a different test which was created not too long ago forget the name of it though. Ive never looked at youtube tests only avs forums

I wasn't doubting you, just pointing out that there are some discrepancies in testing so you have to pay attention to what you're looking at.
---
#38ascendedcobraPosted 1/1/2014 12:11:58 PM
I would just make sure you get 240hz and led if you are going lcd. Its faster and has plasma level blacks. Are you sure you want to go as small as "42 though? I have a "55 in a regular sized bedroom I use for a game room and it's almost the perfect size in there. When they drop in price I will put an "84 or bigger 4k tv in there as the pixels are so dense you can sit closer than normal. Trust me you won't be sorry if you get at least a "55.
#39NSGraphitePosted 1/1/2014 12:17:32 PM
The best option in gaming right now is hands down the SONY KDL W900A.

It is an edge lit LED, LCD with local dimming for inky blacks (rivals plasma)

Quantum dot technology (sony calls it "triluminous") for accurate, deep colors. this tech is no gimmick. this model LED easily rivals plasma for color accuracy. both consumers and professional reviewers report that this tv requires little, if any color calibration out of the box. in today's displays, that is unprecedented.

This model also has what is currently the lowest input lag[ of any HDTV on the market today. this has poised this tv to be the top choice for serious gamers.

It seems that sony poised this tv to be ready in time for the ps4 launch. best picture quality of any LED on the market (short of the sharp elite), best input lag etc. the only downside is that because it is from sony, it can be expensive.$2k for the 55". if they make a 42" version (i do believe they make a 46") it will be cheaper. closer to $1500 i think.
---
http://m.quickmeme.com/meme/3va9jp/
I don't always Troll on the internet. But when I do, I make it the Xbox-One forums...
#40badmanneilPosted 1/1/2014 12:23:56 PM
Yea i love LED. I've got a 46 inch samsung LED and love it.