So is the Xbox One easier to program than PS4?

#1levyjl1988Posted 1/1/2014 8:22:53 PM
I understand that devs were once talking about how easy it was to program for the 360 than the PS3, hence a lot of third party support for games went towards the 360. PS3 having a lot of issues, ie) Skyrim.

So now that the PS4 is out and Xbox One, which platform is for developers? Which is easier for them to program, or it's the same.
---
I hate games with bad game design
#2BigLongDownerPosted 1/1/2014 8:25:07 PM
I'm not trolling when I say this but, I think I remember hearing a few developers talk about the PS4 being a lot easier to develop this time around. As for it being easier than the X1, I'm not sure.
---
GT - The Grunge Guy
#3CapnStankyPosted 1/1/2014 8:25:11 PM
They're both x86. No difference other than dev tools.
#4xacebopPosted 1/1/2014 8:29:35 PM
CapnStanky posted...

They both have 8 gigs of ram. No difference other than dev tools.
#5CapnStankyPosted 1/1/2014 8:32:41 PM
xacebop posted...
CapnStanky posted...

They both have 8 gigs of ram. No difference other than dev tools.

Memory means nothing when it comes to programming to the metal. All that matters is they're both X86-based.
#6TheLeafChildPosted 1/1/2014 8:34:19 PM
There is a tiny bit more of a hitch regarding Xbox's memory architecture. Playstation offers some specialized solutions to shaders and stuff, but other than that, they're on par.
---
"Yin and Yang are not good and evil. Their unity is good, their struggle is evil"
#7Shaolin015Posted 1/1/2014 9:20:28 PM
From what I remember hearing, the ps4 was easier to develop for. Back then the internet was blowing up about it too. Even though the ps4 was easier to develop for, it didn't mean that the Xbox was difficult to develop for. Very easy and easy has never been that different in games
#83HPPosted 1/1/2014 9:22:58 PM
If they were both equally as easy to develop for then the launch titles(non-sports/racing) wouldn't have run worse on the XB1.
#9KolanifvPosted 1/1/2014 10:16:43 PM
Remember how the PS3 was harder to develop for because of the Cell architecture? Take it to this gen, change PS3 to XBox One and Cell to memory.
#10shawnmckPosted 1/1/2014 10:28:47 PM(edited)
They are both PC-like in architecture, therefore they are both roughly the same.
Like a previous poster mentioned, it will end up being a matter of developmental tools that are supplied by the console manufacturers (Sony/ Microsoft)...and from what I've read, Sony is being a lot more friendly and helpful.
So the edge might be in Sony's favor slightly.

But they are still both relatively easy enough.

Don't mistake the PS4 architecture with that of the PS3. The PS3 used a completely different architecture than what was friendly to developers, and so the PS3 was a nightmare for most Devs.
Sony learned their lesson and have made huge strides in making the PS4 very Developer friendly.

And one possible problem for Devs of the XB One is that it uses kinect, so all games are going to have to utilize that feature, which may prove a headache for many Developer studios.
The XBO version thus has to do all kinds of things using kinect, whereas the PS4 version just has to play a game using a controller.