101 Kinect Ideas: Using the technology to innovate and entertain

#11MrSpaM111Posted 1/2/2014 9:08:06 AM
SigmaLongshot posted...
9) Elocution of the Dead
If you've ever played House of the Dead, you'll probably be aware of the spin-off series of games, "Typing of the Dead" where zombies are dispatched by typing the words they have adorning them.

By this same mechanic, the Kinect can be used in "Elocution of the Dead"/"Pronounciation of the Dead" - where you literally say the words they appear with, to Kinect. Level one would start off easy, with words like "Cat" and "Cheese" dispatching simple foes, but latter levels would have players dealing damage to massive enemies with mouthfuls like "Antidisestablishmentarianism".

Considering how bad the voice recognition is, especially for people not born in the USA, this is possibly the worst idea for a Kinect game ever lol
---
"Exactly correct TC..."
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/66274628
#12CyberneticRatPosted 1/2/2014 9:13:26 AM
10) Use the Kinect's IR blaster to send electronics in the room to go haywire (nothing serious) in a horror game. Gamers have always felt safe because they know the game can't affect them. Let's see how they react when the game can alter your very surroundings.

Of course, you can turn this feature off of course if you don't want it messing up stuff.
---
Gamer Tag: MANNKILLER83
Proud Supporter of The Wonderbolts
#13SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 1/2/2014 9:13:39 AM
11) Reaper of Souls
A first-person survival horror game, where the ethereal Reaper stalks you, Slender Man-style. He is capable of sapping your very soul from existence as long as he is looking directly into your eyes. In-game, he is extremely lithe, relentless and violent as long as you are moving, but if you literally hide your face and remain stationary (Kinect checking that your hands are over your eyes), he will eventually leave. Using the controller to navigate the environment but always the fear of being attacked, you literally must drop your only means of movement (controller) in order to protect the windows to your soul.
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#14SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 1/2/2014 9:28:19 AM
12) The Plasticine Platformer
A platform game where, at any point, you can use Kinect to stretch out his limbs/torso at will. Controls for running, jumping and attacking are all done on the pad, but the stretching, squishing plasticine powers are all done by manipulating him via Kinect.
---
#15SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 1/2/2014 10:33:23 AM
13) Goggle/cockpit clearing
In first-person games, such as the popular Metro series, when your goggles or windows get steamed/bloodied/dirtied, simply "wipe" it clean instead of pressing the "wipe clean" button.
---
#16nothingbeastPosted 1/2/2014 11:06:51 AM
After playing "Googly Eyes" on the 360, I find the most disappointing thing that hasn't happened is a full game where you can scan in items around the house to be in a regular platforming game.

For example, when the game first boots up, you scan in the item you want for your hero. Add arms and legs, possibly eyes, like a digital Mr. Potato Head, and you've got the hero that responds to the controller like a regular game.

If it was a "Save the princess" sort of game, you could scan in another item and build the princess from that.

Then scan in a few more items for enemies during the levels. The game could tell you if it was a flying enemy, or a walking, jumping, whatever. You could even scan in the final boss.

The game has already set up the character animations, we're just picking what's standing in for those characters.

The replay value from using different household items for each playthrough alone would be worth the $60 IMO.

The biggest problem with Kinect is it can do more than motion/voice controls... It just seems like that's all we're getting.
---
~I was stomping goombas and saving princesses long before most of you were born.
#17SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 1/2/2014 11:18:58 AM
nothingbeast posted...
After playing "Googly Eyes" on the 360, I find the most disappointing thing that hasn't happened is a full game where you can scan in items around the house to be in a regular platforming game.

For example, when the game first boots up, you scan in the item you want for your hero. Add arms and legs, possibly eyes, like a digital Mr. Potato Head, and you've got the hero that responds to the controller like a regular game.

If it was a "Save the princess" sort of game, you could scan in another item and build the princess from that.

Then scan in a few more items for enemies during the levels. The game could tell you if it was a flying enemy, or a walking, jumping, whatever. You could even scan in the final boss.

The game has already set up the character animations, we're just picking what's standing in for those characters.

The replay value from using different household items for each playthrough alone would be worth the $60 IMO.

The biggest problem with Kinect is it can do more than motion/voice controls... It just seems like that's all we're getting.

I concur with this idea; It'd be almost like LittleBigPlanet cubed. And who wouldn't want to fight a giant flying can of Irn Bru with googly eyes?
---
#18SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 1/2/2014 11:22:26 AM
15) Comrade Picture-in-Picture Display (HUD)
In games like Titanfall, I would like to see a reactive PiP HUD that popped up in your in-mech display whenever a friend spoke, showing them in their own little frame (think, how Peppy, Slippy and Falco contact you in Starwing/Starfox).
---
#19nothingbeastPosted 1/2/2014 11:26:33 AM
My toilet brush Knight rushing to save the Kitty Litter Box Princess from the evil Bag of Kale.

Hilarious... and all from things just found around the house. Next run would be completely different with other items.

Googly Eyes was a hilarious app that showed something the Kinect could do other than motion/voice controls.... I'm sure someone much more creative than I could come up with other things.

One thing I liked from my 3DS was using the camera to create different camouflage for Snake in MGS3. Why can't we use this same idea for creating skins or patterns for CAC modes? It sure would make creating myself in Wrestling CAW modes if I could just scan the shirts I wanted instead of using the paint tools.
---
~I was stomping goombas and saving princesses long before most of you were born.
#20SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 1/2/2014 11:55:10 AM
16) Head-selected Radials/options

Now it's no surprise, as I'm a UI designer by profession, I have a thing for radial menus. They're incredibly efficient - allowing for a single button and a stick to take the place of as many as twenty hotkeys. Now, even though they're already pretty fast, what if you're in the middle of a difficult firefight and all your reflexes are under strain?

Simply nod sharply twice in a specific direction and you'll maybe change to a specific weapon or designate a command without any finger disturbed.
---