HDMI passthrough DOES affect video quality!!

#1FUNBOSSPosted 1/2/2014 10:37:47 AM
I'm pissed!! I swore there was a noticeable difference with picture quality once I hooked up my X1 to my TV via passthrough. I changed my output setting on my cable box to 720p and did see an 'improvement' in less judder. However, still noticeably worse video then when cable box is connected directly to the tv. This is particularly noticeable when watching sports or other fast scrolling tv sequences.

How could anyone at MS overlook this……pathetic!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-25-xbox-one-tv-integration-suffers-noticeable-judder-in-uk
#2BrownGottiPosted 1/2/2014 10:44:40 AM
Any kind of pass through affects the quality of video or audio..... it's just by how much. There is a big difference between an amplifier and pass through. The Xbox One is not an amplifier! I have a Fios system and the differences are very little between pass through and non pass through. It also depends on your cable service. Direct TV so far has the worst video quality through the pass through.
#3ElPolloDiablo87Posted 1/2/2014 10:46:40 AM
Sucks for the UK I guess. Here in the states where they broadcast in 60Hz it's fine.
---
Madre de Dios, es El Pollo Diablo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E28WrhpTzQA
#4x1STP_KLOSRxPosted 1/2/2014 10:47:58 AM
FUNBOSS posted...
I'm pissed!! I swore there was a noticeable difference with picture quality once I hooked up my X1 to my TV via passthrough. I changed my output setting on my cable box to 720p and did see an 'improvement' in less judder. However, still noticeably worse video then when cable box is connected directly to the tv. This is particularly noticeable when watching sports or other fast scrolling tv sequences.

How could anyone at MS overlook this……pathetic!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-25-xbox-one-tv-integration-suffers-noticeable-judder-in-uk

Its been said to have issues in the UK due to it running at 50 Hz rather than the standard 60 Hz in the USA. Yes it was an oversight by Microsoft but before you go claiming it's worse in the USA make sure you realize what the article is stating. I unhooked my cable box from my Xbox since there's no need to run both but watching NHL games there wasn't a noticable difference.
#5GalvatronType_RPosted 1/2/2014 11:52:44 AM
I'm definitely seeing worse picture quality.

So I went back to plugging the cable box into the Onkyo receiver and set it to through.
#6zeekcruz425Posted 1/2/2014 11:55:21 AM
BrownGotti posted...
Any kind of pass through affects the quality of video or audio..... it's just by how much. There is a big difference between an amplifier and pass through. The Xbox One is not an amplifier! I have a Fios system and the differences are very little between pass through and non pass through. It also depends on your cable service. Direct TV so far has the worst video quality through the pass through.

I have directv and my picture quality is un affected so far. In fact some channels imo look better... you need to let the x1 calibrate them tv in settings.
---
God is love. GT MERK uNd HeaD
Boston Red Sox 2013 World Champions!!!
#7shadylpetePosted 1/2/2014 11:55:50 AM
No, even here in the states you notice a picture quality difference when you use the passthrough on Xbox One. It's not major and most people will never notice it, but there's a very slight drop in HD Quality. Not enough of a difference to make me want to not use it though.
---
PSN: HeHangsDong69 ---- XBL Gamertag: ShadyLPete
#8EoinPosted 1/2/2014 12:05:24 PM
ElPolloDiablo87 posted...
Sucks for the UK I guess.

x1STP_KLOSRx posted...
Its been said to have issues in the UK

Can we please try not to give the impression that this is a UK issue? It's not. It's going to be an issue for Xbox One owners in any country that is shown in red on this map:

http://www.photosofitaly.it/NTSC_PAL.gif

That's about 90% of the planet.
#9FUNBOSS(Topic Creator)Posted 1/2/2014 12:05:51 PM
Sorry guys, I should have stated that while the article is UK based, I am based in Canada (Vancouver).
I've noticed the quality degradation to vary from various broadcast through. Recently watched a world jr hockey game (being held in Sweden) and really noticed a tremendous amount of judder. However, when I connect the hdmi directly to the tv the quality improves and judder disappears.
#10Ch3wyPosted 1/2/2014 12:07:26 PM
As usual, the problem is entirely Canada's fault.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.