Think there will ever be a Microsoft handheld?

#11vormisPosted 1/2/2014 1:17:43 PM
Windows Phone.
#12MetalGearOnAcid(Topic Creator)Posted 1/2/2014 1:48:53 PM
There was a phone produced by I think Sony maybe 10-15 years ago that functioned as both a phone and game system, and I don't think it did too well.

If you're talking about the Xperia Play that was like, 2 years ago.
---
Nintendo ID: TheDreadedZero
#13TBONE_OGPosted 1/2/2014 1:54:02 PM
I'm glad MS doesn't waste efforts on handhelds. Tablet and mobile gaming, as much I don't like them either, are a better choice for them -- it's where the money is too.
---
Always O.G.
#14MidnightJacketPosted 1/2/2014 2:04:08 PM
Lerp85 posted...
MidnightJacket posted...
staticxtreme5 posted...
Honestly I think Microsoft is happy enough just making Windows Phones.

This is what I was thinking. BUT, if a handheld were developed that also functioned as a phone and was around the same size as a Galaxy, I'd be all over it. I've got a 3ds and a Vita, got bored with the 3ds and have been nothing but dissapointed in the lofty expectations of the Vita.

There was a phone produced by I think Sony maybe 10-15 years ago that functioned as both a phone and game system, and I don't think it did too well. But the games were beyond awful and on par with poor Atari games. You were better off getting a flip phone and playing snake.

All that said, Apple has filled this niche I suppose with all the app games.

You want what just about any smartphone is already?

The discussion was in the context of playing legit games though, not 5 minute time waster apps that makes up 98% of what's offered in app stores.
#15MidnightJacketPosted 1/2/2014 2:09:50 PM
MetalGearOnAcid posted...
There was a phone produced by I think Sony maybe 10-15 years ago that functioned as both a phone and game system, and I don't think it did too well.

If you're talking about the Xperia Play that was like, 2 years ago.

No, it wasn't that one - I forgot about that one. It might not have been Sony, but it was atleast a solid 15 years ago. I remember GameStop (or EB games or whoever at the time) had a small section in the store selling the games for it though.
#16thestickerPosted 1/2/2014 2:11:08 PM
Yes and Kinect will be required
#17plus1zeroPosted 1/2/2014 2:11:58 PM
Doubtful, but it wouldn't be a big deal for them to try. MS makes the majority of their profit in the absurd licensing fees they charge for servers that 99% of the public never hear about.
#18slyman19Posted 1/2/2014 2:14:27 PM
Laylow12 posted...
Surface is failing, Zune failed and Windows 8 failed. XBOX ONE hasn't failed but its losing market share to PS4 in its strongest area North America. I doubt with all that happening they're anxious to get involved in a new market.

Microsoft is still making more money in a quarter than Sony has in the past 5 years. They'll jump into a new market if they want to.