Microsoft shot themselves in the foot with Kinect.

#1iKhan88Posted 1/2/2014 1:33:14 PM
Every previous gen, Microsoft and Sony's consoles both led in at least one of: Price, Power, Online, Library. This allowed them to split their audience.

However, this gen Microsoft is including the Kinect and marketing to the same audience Sony is. That audience doesn't give a rat's ass about the Kinect, but including the device resulted in higher price, and reduced power.

Expect XB1 sales to dip off in coming months, and not recover until Halo comes out.
---
"People fear and hate what is not normal. They are scared of those that are different. Then the solution is for everyone to become the same"-Yggdrasil
#2SunDevil77Posted 1/2/2014 1:35:13 PM
k
---
My teeth are swords, my claws are spears, my wings are a hurricane!
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539
#3MetroidFan9999Posted 1/2/2014 1:36:04 PM
Yeah I agree, diminished demand is already raising it's face, it's pretty evident alot of demand this holiday was from just that...holiday demand. I wouldn't be surprised if sales of this device tapered off significantly.
---
Xbox One = Xbone = Crossbone = Jolly Roger.
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/mind_blown.gif
#4ILikeGamesManPosted 1/2/2014 1:42:09 PM
I guarantee you sales will be fine.

If people can buy a PS4 knowing it has nothing to offer in terms of games, they should have no problem continuing to pay a little extra for the X1. Even if the reason it costs extra is due to a piece of forced hardware they may or may not like.

There is a reason why all of my friends who own both consoles prefer the X1. Believe me, the X1 is going nowhere and will continue to sell. Lets see the sales figures in March when more games start pouring in. I already know a pretty hefty amount of people personally who are buying one during tax season just in time for Titanfall. Just wait.
#5littlecletusPosted 1/2/2014 1:45:51 PM
I was so against the Kinnect. Never bought one for my 360.
I almost skipped buying an XBOX One because it was mandatory.

Then I set it up, scored my first goal in FIFA, and said "XBOX RECORD THAT" and my goal was saved forever.
The I was launching archer attacks and catapault attackes in ryse by just saying it.

I have been converted.
I do not see the Kinnect as a means to control a game, but I definitely see great uses for it.

And you can not judge a consoles life on its first 2 months.
I think demand may be waning because the titles available still leave alot to be desired.
---
Are you a bug, Bill Murray?
#6GevousPosted 1/2/2014 1:53:11 PM
ILikeGamesMan posted...

If people can buy a PS4 knowing it has nothing to offer in terms of games, they should have no problem continuing to pay a little extra for the X1. Even if the reason it costs extra is due to a piece of forced hardware they may or may not like.

There is a reason why all of my friends who own both consoles prefer the X1. Believe me, the X1 is going nowhere and will continue to sell. Lets see the sales figures in March when more games start pouring in. I already know a pretty hefty amount of people personally who are buying one during tax season just in time for Titanfall. Just wait.

I wasn't going to post, but then I saw that "it has nothing to offer in terms of games." That is easily the biggest pile of bulls*** I've read on this board today. It may not have a great launch lineup (despite games like resogun and the incoming don't starve being amazing and better than most of X1's lineup), but it has inevitable games like Uncharted and great exclusives coming.

Also, Titanfall won't be the saving grace for X1, sorry, but people are WAY overblowing that, as much as it would be nice for it to be true. Japan is getting PS4 right before that happens, and that will boost sales more than a single game will for X1.

I'm glad that your friends prefer the X1, I have not met a single person IRL that doesn't say PS4 is better after they have played both.
---
FC 3DS: 5327-1143-0537
#7iKhan88(Topic Creator)Posted 1/2/2014 1:54:08 PM
ILikeGamesMan posted...

But if they don't like the Kinect, what's the point of paying extra when the PS4 exists for cheaper?

People who buy consoles at launch are the very dedicated fans, that's what got the consoles to sell well. That's why the Wii U, PS4, and XB1 sold very well at launch. Their fanbase reached a peak due to accumulation over time.
---
"People fear and hate what is not normal. They are scared of those that are different. Then the solution is for everyone to become the same"-Yggdrasil
#8Sith JediPosted 1/2/2014 1:54:49 PM
Haven't seen one of these topics in a few minutes, guess we were due for another 10 or so.
#9userfrigginamePosted 1/2/2014 1:59:41 PM
Plaxico Burress shot himself in the foot with a gun. But that's an old story.
#10CKnightPosted 1/2/2014 2:00:46 PM
We won't know for sure.

No one here is in the analyst business of video game, electronics, social media and what not.

As gamers and message boarders we tend to take a limited view and say this, that and this happened last gen and this will happen now. These views are often backed up by preference and not an intelligent, logical view a big business would be willing to pay for.

Just like people say why buy an Xbox One when we have smart phones, tablets and laptops.

Well before smart phones we had laptops.

And in the market of smart phones and laptops, people still bought tablets.

In the market of smartphones, laptops and tablets, people started buying smart tvs.

In short we tend to have a limited scope of what people want and the actual trends in electronics and gaming.

People in gaming media all over are saying the Wii U is in trouble but here simply to spite the Xbox One, you'll find extreme optimism that not only will the Wii U succeed but it'll gain huge 3rd party support and beat the Xbox One. But, but, but not the PS4.

Just because.

In short in this early stage of the gen take anything said especially from randos on the net with a huge grain of salt.

And when looking for what consider professional views, look at more than one and just don't pick the one that fits your personal need and view.