1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Who's waiting for a price drop?
2 years ago#11
aszsith posted...
TheGam3925 posted...
Lerp85 posted...
aszsith posted...
What about an option for Already Have One? How about an option for Not Interested at Any Price?

5/10 for not thinking your poll through.

If you don't want it or already have it then the answer is no. Way to think through your insult.

Pretty much this.

Actually, I did think about it. Obviously, the 3 of you didn't. But hey, I'll explain how statistics, polls, and bias works for you so you can ignore it and bandwagon around the bias.

A poll should include the widest possible field of responses to be unbiased. This poll is incomplete. It is worded to insinuate that it is aimed at people who intend to, but have not yet, purchased a XBOne. It ignores people who have one or don't intend on getting one. This is bias.

Essentially, all people who own one are lumped into the NO category, as you pointed out. The results then could be read as 'x' NO responses equates to that many people don't want an XBOne, even though they could be comprised of actual owners.

Conversely, people who have no intention of buying an XBOne are also lumped into the NO category. However, that response could be viewed as "x" people will by an XBOne at the current price. Again, this is not accurate.

The YES response, on the other hand, is sufficient. It could be used to predict the number of people with interest in an XBOne that are waiting for the price to drop if the poll is taken accurately, which is impossible because the rest of it is incomplete.

In the end, the poll is skewed because of a lack of reasonable response choices to represent a legitimate sample. This renders the results unusable and therefore the poll worthless.

You put way to much thought into a yes or no straight question. You are or are not waiting for a price drop, that simple. Don't matter why you are or aren't, just that you are or aren't, thats it. Yes or no, he is not asking why or to explain why.
---
I buy DLC. If that makes me a "sheep" then oh well. Don't like it? Oh well, get over it.
2 years ago#12
aszsith posted...
TheGam3925 posted...
Lerp85 posted...
aszsith posted...
What about an option for Already Have One? How about an option for Not Interested at Any Price?

If you don't want it or already have it then the answer is no. Way to think through your insult.

Pretty much this.

Actually, I did think about it. Obviously, the 3 of you didn't. But hey, I'll explain how statistics, polls, and bias works for you so you can ignore it and bandwagon around the bias.

A poll should include the widest possible field of responses to be unbiased. This poll is incomplete. It is worded to insinuate that it is aimed at people who intend to, but have not yet, purchased a XBOne. It ignores people who have one or don't intend on getting one. This is bias.

Essentially, all people who own one are lumped into the NO category, as you pointed out. The results then could be read as 'x' NO responses equates to that many people don't want an XBOne, even though they could be comprised of actual owners.

Conversely, people who have no intention of buying an XBOne are also lumped into the NO category. However, that response could be viewed as "x" people will by an XBOne at the current price. Again, this is not accurate.

The YES response, on the other hand, is sufficient. It could be used to predict the number of people with interest in an XBOne that are waiting for the price to drop if the poll is taken accurately, which is impossible because the rest of it is incomplete.

In the end, the poll is skewed because of a lack of reasonable response choices to represent a legitimate sample. This renders the results unusable and therefore the poll worthless.

People who have already purchased an Xbox One did not wait for a price drop, hence the NO option. Feel free to write another essay which I will not read again.
---
360 - The Game 925
PSN - TheGame925
2 years ago#13
aszsith posted...
TheGam3925 posted...
Lerp85 posted...
aszsith posted...

Pretty much this.

This. The rest of you need to think your way through your posts lololol.
---
I'm not one of you, I'm not a nerd. I talk to women. Be jealous.
2 years ago#14
LostOdyssey17 posted...
aszsith posted...
TheGam3925 posted...
Lerp85 posted...
aszsith posted...

Pretty much this.

This. The rest of you need to think your way through your posts lololol.

Regardless of why, it is either yes or no, that simple. Don't matter why, don't matter if you have it, don't plan on getting it, either would mean you are NOT waiting for a price drop, meaning your answer is NO.
---
I buy DLC. If that makes me a "sheep" then oh well. Don't like it? Oh well, get over it.
2 years ago#15
TheGam3925 posted...
aszsith posted...
TheGam3925 posted...
Lerp85 posted...
aszsith posted...

Pretty much this.

People who have already purchased an Xbox One did not wait for a price drop, hence the NO option. Feel free to write another essay which I will not read again.

Ignoring how short sighted a poll is does not negate it's lack of value. Being immune to logical reasoning is a trait too many in this world possess. Thankfully, that makes it that much easier for the rest of us to succeed.
---
You can put icing on a turd, but that doesn't make it a cupcake!
2 years ago#16
Who`s waiting for TheGame3925 to stop making topics and polls that either subtly, or not so subtly, cast the Xbox One in a negative light ?
2 years ago#17
aszsith posted...
TheGam3925 posted...
Lerp85 posted...
aszsith posted...

Pretty much this.

A) That isn't bias. B) If he doesn't want to target a group of people for this poll, he doesn't have to "in order to include the widest possible field of responses."
2 years ago#18
I was considering waiting for a price drop and still might. Now I'm just watching for sales trends and to see if any more issues arise.

If I do buy one very soon, it will be through Costco so if it stops working I can return it and will have some extra cash in the event of a price drop.

Unfortunately, I am impatient and want to start playing new gen games. So I will probably pay more than I want.
2 years ago#19
Gevous posted...
aszsith posted...
TheGam3925 posted...
Lerp85 posted...
aszsith posted...

Pretty much this.

A) That isn't bias. B) If he doesn't want to target a group of people for this poll, he doesn't have to "in order to include the widest possible field of responses."

A) Actually, excluding or intentionally grouping dissimilar groups into the same category to skew the results with a specific goal in mind is essentially a textbook example of poll bias.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selection_bias
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/sample_selection_basis.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_bias
http://www.scholarpedia.org/article/Sampling_bias
http://www.ma.utexas.edu/users/mks/statmistakes/biasedsampling.html
http://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/tmve/wiki100k/docs/Biased_sample.html

B) Correct. The poll maker indeed does not have to make an objective, unbiased, legitimate poll. Of course that renders it valueless as a means of gathering statistical data, which is the purpose of a poll.

Can we finally rest the case that this poll was ill conceived and incapable of producing a legitimate statistic?
---
You can put icing on a turd, but that doesn't make it a cupcake!
2 years ago#20
Price drop in and of itself? No.

I'm waiting for a SKU without Kinect (not happening), or an exclusive that I cannot live without. And I don't really care about or for exclusives, so it would have to be a game that I couldn't live without that is normally multiplatform, like Fallout 4.
---
Xbox 360, Playstation 4
Heimskr is my life coach.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Who's waiting for a price drop?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived