what does the controller register as when plugged into a PC?

#1Orange_ApplesPosted 1/4/2014 2:43:34 PM
(Note: I asked about this on the PC boards a little while back and got no response. Probably because no one over there would subject themselves to using a controller [to be read with slight sarcasm])

So one of my biggest gripes with the console right now is the controller. As soon as I held the thing I did not like it. I was distraught (slight exaggeration, but I was on the brink of crying I did not like the controller so much). It has been over a month since that incident and I have been wanting to give the controller a second chance, however none of the demo stations have the controller set up and I don't like standing while I game.

Ultimately the best way for me to try out the controller is to buy one, plug it into my PC, map the buttons and try it out.

Before I go out and buy the controller, does the controller register as anything when plugged in? I know there aren't drivers for the controller, but I was thinking that perhaps the computer would recognize it at least as a generic controller. I'm going to be using xpadder, so can it be mapped?
---
PC + Nintendo
Winning combination in the late 80s, winning combination in the 90s, winning combination today.
#2KolanifvPosted 1/4/2014 3:10:50 PM
It doesn't register at all.
#3Lerp85Posted 1/4/2014 3:13:25 PM
You almost cried because of a controller? Wow, you have issues.

Though, why not just stick with a controller you like instead of wasting money on one you want to cry about?
---
I buy DLC. If that makes me a "sheep" then oh well. Don't like it? Oh well, get over it.
#4Orange_Apples(Topic Creator)Posted 1/4/2014 3:52:48 PM
Wow, doesn't register at all. Which means my wait will have to continue until someone I know gets an xbox one...

And why would I waste my money on the controller? Because I felt that I didn't give it a fair chance and I don't want to cry about it. It was quite a shock to me to think that the Xbox One controller is the worst controller I've ever held and I did not want to believe it. I want to sit down and use it for at least a week before making a personal judgement call on it.
---
PC + Nintendo
Winning combination in the late 80s, winning combination in the 90s, winning combination today.
#5staticxtreme5Posted 1/4/2014 3:58:58 PM
If the Xbox One controller is the worst controller you have ever held, then you've probably not held many controllers. You should just leave this board before others read your post and tell you how dumb you are in much less courteous manner.
#6Orange_Apples(Topic Creator)Posted 1/4/2014 4:27:01 PM(edited)
staticxtreme5 posted...
If the Xbox One controller is the worst controller you have ever held, then you've probably not held many controllers. You should just leave this board before others read your post and tell you how dumb you are in much less courteous manner.

Which is why I want to give the controller more time and give it a more fair chance. I am absolutely willing to admit my first impression is wrong, if I have more than that impression. Lots have people here have said it was odd at first but got used to it, and now they love it.

I'm at the "odd at first" stage and want to see if I get over to the "got used to it" stage.

I've only had like 5 minutes with the thing.

And I've played Atari 5600, intellivision, NES, Genesis, SNES, N64, PS1 (before dualshock), Dreamcast, GameCube, PS2, Xbox (duke and s), Wii (remote, nunchuck, classic and classic pro), 360, ps3 (sixaxis and DS3), Wii U (gamepad and pro), and PS4.

Sure, they may not all impress by today's standards, they were all a move forward and I could feel how they evolved. When I picked up the XB1 controller it felt backwards.
---
PC + Nintendo
#7Superman070776Posted 1/4/2014 6:49:01 PM
There is nothing wrong with the controller. There are some additions that would make it better, like paddles on the back so we can program actions for the fingers we don't normally use. Still, even without them, the controller is great. I can't decide if this guy is trolling, or has tiny girl hands or maybe a condition that deformed his hands so they can't hold a great controller correctly.
---
https://www.youtube.com/user/BoilingKoolaid
#8TBONE_OGPosted 1/4/2014 6:56:27 PM
X1 controller is the best one I've ever had in my hands.
---
Always O.G.
#9Orange_Apples(Topic Creator)Posted 1/4/2014 10:37:44 PM
Superman070776 posted...
There is nothing wrong with the controller. There are some additions that would make it better, like paddles on the back so we can program actions for the fingers we don't normally use. Still, even without them, the controller is great. I can't decide if this guy is trolling, or has tiny girl hands or maybe a condition that deformed his hands so they can't hold a great controller correctly.

Wait, so it is trolling if I say I didn't like the controller, but am willing to give it a fair chance by trying it for at least a week as opposed to the 5 minute demo I got? I am actively looking for a way to use the controller for more than just a demo session.

Trolling would be proclaiming the XB1 controller is a plague to be avoided and everyone who uses it deserves cancer.
---
PC + Nintendo
#10Lerp85Posted 1/4/2014 11:22:55 PM
If you have a controller you like already that works just fine, and I assume you do, then what is the point in wasting money on a controller just to "give it a chance"? Seems pointless, just use the controller you already have, the one that don't make you cry.
---
I buy DLC. If that makes me a "sheep" then oh well. Don't like it? Oh well, get over it.