Has anyone given Ryse a chance?

#1Rome218Posted 1/4/2014 11:40:30 PM
I think it is well worth 60 dollars and is very entertaining, and it feels like a real next gen game.

Their have been negative reviews, and people talking about the QTE. The campaign is short and epic. At first the combat may seem too simple or you're just getting by to get by, but once you learn how to wrack high combos it becomes much more enjoyable.

The executions are actually fun. You need to anticipate as quick as possible when to press the button, as your executed is grated and contributes to getting higher combos based on how well it's pulled off.

This is really where the mp shines too, seeing how good you can get with combos. The co-op mode is addictive once you learn what you're doing. Using something like the Focus God, you have to get some good executions(not letting the game do it for you) to get your combo going. Once I learned how to play on line, the single player is more fun too.

I have this, Dead Rising 3, CoD, and AC4. This gets the most play for me, especially because of the Arena. Every game out right now, if someone were to recommend something like it, you may see a list of 1 to 3 games, except for Ryse. Everyone should give it a chance.
#2SorbetowulfPosted 1/4/2014 11:53:16 PM
Too a point, you're right and I agree, but the problem isn't that Ryse does what it does well, the problem is that that's all it does. It's the very definition of a launch title.

For someone like me, who hasn't played Tomb Raider, which comes out later this month, if I hadn't picked up all of the release games and Arcade titles, and if I was stuck with only Ryse since November 22 (jeez, I can't believe I've had this system for almost a month and a half already), there's just not enough there to tide me over for two months. It's not that it's a bad game, it's that it's shallow. Really shallow.

The campaign is extremely short, and while it tells an ok story, it's not the kind of story that rewards a second time through. There aren't enough collectibles or unlocks to really warrant a second or third playthrough. Maybe to beat Legendary and get the achievements, but there's not really any sense of "wow, I get to play through the story again," it's just basically a grind.

The multiplayer is ok, but again, it pretty much defines grind. Worse yet, once you start really figuring out the combo systems and get gear that focuses on Focus powers, you're flying through levels really fast. And once it caps, it caps. You don't really get anything out of being Level 100. There's not much point in playing once you hit 100. You don't have any sense of bragging rights, because you're not elite killing other PC's like you do in other online games. It's just the same arenas with the same scenarios you've done before.

Again, you aren't wrong, I don't think people have been necessarily fair to the game, it's a decent game, but if this is the only launch game you have until say, Tomb Raider comes out, you're kind of limited in how much enjoyment XB1 will give you. This is why I would definitely recommend Ryse for the graphical experience we can look forward to, but would absolutely recommend Dead Rising or Forza, or AC, or Battlefield for a more extensive experience.
---
GT: NE OBL1V1SCAR1S
#3ImThe8thWonderPosted 1/4/2014 11:59:51 PM
I bought it, played through it from start to finish, and returned it. Besides the good looking graphics, the game makes me cringe. Gameplay is painful, and the story is a dumbed down version of the movie Gladiator.

By comparison to the standard of games we're used to, it's not good at all. If you can look passed its flaws, then good for you, but don't sit there and pretend that people should agree that it doesn't suck.
---
Currently own: PS4, XB1, PS3, XB360, PS2, PS1, PS Vita, Wii, Wii U, DS, 3DS, Super NES, N64, and a gaming PC.
#4RayconPosted 1/5/2014 12:01:53 AM
Rome218 posted...

I get the feeling you're not the most "impartial" person to speak on this subject...
---
I must have looked a fool playing with a backwards DS, teary eyed solving a Sudoku puzzle -Lordx718
#5Excal1burPosted 1/5/2014 12:25:47 AM
Don't think its worth $60, after I beat it and traded it in for almost $43 dollars it was worth the $17 I paid for it.
#6LionHartZeroPosted 1/5/2014 1:42:20 AM
Side note about Ryse... I bought every single freakin execution available and for some reason i never seem to see any of the most expensive ones in action. It seems like all i ever see are the basic executions.. Any clue as to how to perform some of the last executions in the 4 categories?
#7TBONE_OGPosted 1/5/2014 1:59:19 AM
Ryse is a great game. If you like Rome, Gods, battles, and carnage -- go for it. Just finished playing an online match. It's fun being a gladiator.
---
Always O.G.
#8PoloMan6Posted 1/5/2014 6:37:44 AM
Best next gen launch title I've played.

Great story, combat, gameplay.

Loved every minute of it.

I don't know what all the crying is about either.
#9mcnichojPosted 1/5/2014 6:45:46 AM
Not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.
---
PSN/XBL/Steam: mcnichoj
Proud Vita/3DS/Wii U owner. Day one PS4/X1. | Wanting people to have full knowledge of the facts about a console makes you a fanboy.
#10hollow-sasukePosted 1/5/2014 6:59:59 AM
mcnichoj posted...
Not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

It's not bad, it's just not worth $60.
---
"My eyes red cause of all that hate" @_@