AC:Black Flag worth a buy?

#11the_real_onePosted 1/6/2014 12:47:21 PM
Get the PS4 version, the Xbox One looks like last generation in comparison.
---
In the entire games industry, Nintendo has done the best job of managing their franchises in the long term. EGM
#12SALTandBURN67Posted 1/6/2014 12:56:37 PM
the_real_one posted...
Get the PS4 version, the Xbox One looks like last generation in comparison.

Don't you have something else better to do? It has been proven by many sites that the xbox one and ps4 look identical.
#13FeatherwindPosted 1/6/2014 1:12:26 PM
It's the first AC I played and it's really, really bad. The ship combat could be good but it's way too limited. Even if Ubisoft would pay you the price of the game for playing it it's still not worth it because it has so much filler and poorly thought out content.

If they make a game called Black Flag 2 without all the Assassin and scifi crap I will buy it but the "story" ruins this game and the ship combat is more like a mini-game/cheap indie game level of depth.
---
pathological
#14Rome218Posted 1/6/2014 1:20:35 PM
It is a really solid game. I got it again on xbone, and the environments and lighting, along with water effects help make this game look better than before. It already looked great on the 360, but now it's really good.

I never played an AC game. I wish there were a segment to turn off future parts of the game and ignore it completely.

I really enjoyed the simple platforming and moving around the world, and also going on ship to do naval battles. I'd say replay is what this game lacks, and I'll tell you why:

The game goes the RPG route and makes you put in many hours to upgrade your ship. There is no new game plus like Dead Rising, so now that I am playing again, I have to do everything over, including the damn fleet stuff.

On the plus side, I learned from my last play through what to focus on. Ram and heavy shot work like a charm. Ram a ship(does the most damage i believe), then spam heavy shot which is the 2nd most damage I think.
#15daniel79Posted 1/6/2014 1:23:14 PM
Featherwind posted...
It's the first AC I played and it's really, really bad. The ship combat could be good but it's way too limited. Even if Ubisoft would pay you the price of the game for playing it it's still not worth it because it has so much filler and poorly thought out content.

If they make a game called Black Flag 2 without all the Assassin and scifi crap I will buy it but the "story" ruins this game and the ship combat is more like a mini-game/cheap indie game level of depth.

It's okay to have an 'opinion' an all, it's just that it doesn't make it right, by any means.
#16EllesarienPosted 1/6/2014 1:24:08 PM
Featherwind posted...

What are you talking about? Ship combat is literally the core of the entire game. You could spend DAYS just fighting other ships if you want to.

In order to upgrade your ship like you need to to take on the MoW's, I spend hours upon hours only in ship combat getting metal and wood.

It's like you played a different game than I.
---
I will try and see it from your point of view, but I doubt we'll be able to fit both our heads up there.
#17Rod1984Posted 1/6/2014 1:40:48 PM
get AC4, I freaking love that game, I got tired of the series after brotherhood, only played a couple hours of revelations and AC3 before I got too bored. I was hesitant to give AC4 a try but the pirate theme was just too good of an idea for me to pass up. When I first played AC4, it felt like a typical assassin's creed game at first, so i was starting to get bored, but I decided to keep playing.

As I kept on, I got into the story and the locations looked really beautiful and the combat whil;e the same did for some reason feel better, a little more challenging. Then finally once I unlocked my own pirate ship and learned how to do proper ship battles, boarding and taking on enemy ships, I was having a blast!I played for 15 hours and I am only on memory sequence 5 bc i spent most of my time getting into ship battles, destroying them, turning them to my side to lower my wanted level, and recruiting the ships to join my fleet so I can send them on missions to make me money.

The world is really huge to explore, its a very large vast sea that you can sail in, you can explore little islands, you may find what is called a mayan stone that will help you find 1 of 13 mayan keys you need to unlock a rare suits of armor. The side quests are the typical assassination missions, where they send you to kill a guy, half the time he is on land, the other time you need to engage on a ship battle, most of the time the guy is on a separate island that you have to go find him. There are also another group of missions called the templar hunts. With these missions, you find another assassin and help them deal with a problem that you kinda caused(story related) and in return you flush out the templar that has 1 of 5 templar keys you need to unlock another great set of armor.

Another activity is you can hunt animals on the islands and skin them to upgrade your gear which upgrades your stats, you can even hunt sea animals, you can go harpooning sharks and whales of various types and some of them can really be challenging such as the great white shark. Other activities is finding the standard treasure chests and oh yea almost forgot one more thing. You can gain territory by taking out several forts. The first set of 3 can be easy, the next set is medium, the 3rd and final set can really be hard.

Here is an example, the last fort I was taking, I had to bombard the fort's 8 mortar posts. Their mortars hit hard, at the same time a huge thunderstorm started and was rocking my ship back and fourth so i was having a hard time aiming, then to make matters worse, rogue waves kept on forming, not only that the fort had back up, other large ships, and then their were twisters in the water I was trying to avoid, luckily for me the rogue waves and twisters also hit the other enemy ships so it helped me out too. lets just say it was a thrilling 10 min experience lol. trust me once you get into it, AC4 is a very very fun game, so far my favorite game of this year. The game itself looks beautiful, especially on the next gen consoles. I have it on xbox one so i dont know what the ps4's extra 60 minutes of content is. I highly recommend Assassin's creed 4: Black Flag to any action adventure fan
---
PSN: mavrik1984 - GamerTag: rod1984 - Steam: rod1984
#18FeatherwindPosted 1/6/2014 1:46:41 PM
There are like 5 types of enemy ships. 2 are so weak they never matter, the middle two have decent AI and are good while MoWs spam the boring and ineffective mortar attack. Basically there are two ships: Cannon ships (Frigate, MoW) and weak cannon ships that occasionally ram you (Brig).

No depth to the ship upgrades. Most of the weapons are pretty shallow - the ram, chain shot and broadside cannons are good but the rest are not. Mortar is just stupid, barrels seem to mess with the AI somehow, I don't get the point of Swivel Cannon, Heavy Shot doesn't work well and is pretty pointless too. Boarding is repetitive and boring because the on-foot combat is so bad (it's 100% QTE, and this is a huge problem). No depth to loot - basically the resources are money, metal and wood.

The sea combat is enjoyable for like 20 hours max if you are very patient. If they sold the sea combat parts of the game for like 5 or 10 dollars I would recommend buying it, however they also decided to tack on some of the most boring and horrible on-foot gameplay and "story" I've ever seen.
---
pathological
#19EllesarienPosted 1/6/2014 1:53:20 PM
Featherwind posted...
There are like 5 types of enemy ships. 2 are so weak they never matter, the middle two have decent AI and are good while MoWs spam the boring and ineffective mortar attack. Basically there are two ships: Cannon ships (Frigate, MoW) and weak cannon ships that occasionally ram you (Brig).

No depth to the ship upgrades. Most of the weapons are pretty shallow - the ram, chain shot and broadside cannons are good but the rest are not. Mortar is just stupid, barrels seem to mess with the AI somehow, I don't get the point of Swivel Cannon, Heavy Shot doesn't work well and is pretty pointless too. Boarding is repetitive and boring because the on-foot combat is so bad (it's 100% QTE, and this is a huge problem). No depth to loot - basically the resources are money, metal and wood.

The sea combat is enjoyable for like 20 hours max if you are very patient. If they sold the sea combat parts of the game for like 5 or 10 dollars I would recommend buying it, however they also decided to tack on some of the most boring and horrible on-foot gameplay and "story" I've ever seen.

How many different types of ships were around during this timeframe? You were expecting submarines with torpedoes or Aircraft carriers? On-ground combat is just QTE's? What?

NM...I'm just going to let this go. I love it and that is all that matters.
---
I will try and see it from your point of view, but I doubt we'll be able to fit both our heads up there.
#20FeatherwindPosted 1/6/2014 2:15:50 PM
Ellesarien posted...
How many different types of ships were around during this timeframe? You were expecting submarines with torpedoes or Aircraft carriers? On-ground combat is just QTE's? What?

NM...I'm just going to let this go. I love it and that is all that matters.

Well maybe they should have chosen some other setting then where they could make the ships vary even a little for the sake of gameplay? They did give the legendary ships some unrealistic mechanics like enrage or immunity to damage in certain locations. I don't mind going for realism but here it resulted in you fighting the same enemies over and over again.

You mash the attack button and press Counter or Break Defense when the events come up.
---
pathological