Would you buy a XBox One if it was strictly digital?

#11singhellotakuPosted 1/8/2014 7:03:05 AM
no way in hell, especially with only 500gb hard drive
#12Lerp85Posted 1/8/2014 9:55:17 AM
desert_santa posted...
Lerp85 posted...
desert_santa posted...
Lerp85 posted...
desert_santa posted...
Digital only?

I'd need 100 times the HDD space minimum if it was. Plus I would also want digital sales on a monthly basis, and not the same recycled titles.

Why would you need more space? You have to install disk games as well, so it would be the same space taken up.

The 50 gig games take half a day for me to download. Don't really fancy doing that again for the same title when I want to replay.

The download time had nothing to do with how much you can hold. the amount you can hold would be the exact same.

Installing from disc doesn't take that long as no downloading is required. Download times are relevant to the topic if the console went digital only. Hence my gripe regarding hdd space.

I get that now, however you mentioned nothing about this in your first post making it seem like you only cared about how much space you had. Next time make your point clear.
---
I buy DLC. If that makes me a "sheep" then oh well. Don't like it? Oh well, get over it.
#13sneak522(Topic Creator)Posted 1/8/2014 11:28:49 AM
Thanks all for the comments and poll data. From the looks of it Most wouldn't even bother with the Xbox One and its a pretty split decision on if somebody would buy it strictly digital with enhanced features vs the current console.

In regards to the concern about the Download Times and Hard Drive Space for games.
The current Games on Demand Service has the same games that are available at retail.
To give you a breakdown on the Install sizes for the games see the link below.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-20-all-the-xbox-one-launch-games-and-their-install-sizes

Currently the largest game on the XBox One is NBA 2k14 at 43.14 GBs. Even with the current HDD you would be able to store about 10 copies of this game before it got full. If the HDD was doubled to 1 TB you would be able to store at least 20. Mind you this is on the high end of the game scale. Most of the other "HardCore" games sit anywhere between 20 and 35 GBs and the others are less than 20.

To give you an idea as far as speed use the below link.
http://www.numion.com/calculators/time.html
A 45 GB game would take roughly between 3 hrs on a 30Mbps connection to the extreeeeme 98 hrs on the bare minimum 1Mbps connection. Even a 9 GB game on the Minimum 1Mbps connection would take over 19 hours but would take less than an hour on a 30 Mbps connection.

With Internet speeds getting faster and greater availability I can easily see Digital Only being the new face of console gaming. Personally, I think Microsoft played it safe and did not want to take the risk to become an innovator and game changer in the ever changing Console market.
#14nickr2d2Posted 1/8/2014 11:31:03 AM
Other: I can do online gameplay fine, but downloads would absolutely kill my internet.
---
"You're using the wrong words to express your still incorrect thoughts" -Foxx3k
#15TBONE_OGPosted 1/8/2014 11:32:49 AM
I probably would, but at this time -- having a disc drive is still very useful.

Getting rid of the disc drive isn't something that should be done for at least a few (or more) years.
---
Always O.G.
#16Evel138Posted 1/8/2014 11:36:15 AM
I think I may go all digital with both the PS4 and XB1 when I eventually get them. I looked at the shelves housing the 150 odd games I bought through out this gen and realized all they're doing at this point is taking up space. I like to have them just in case I ever get an itch to replay (which I do), but I like the idea of having my catalog of games stored off site at my disposal.
---
GT/PSN: Evel138 Lucky Number
http://fav.me/d6gbf9y