Is it TRUE it took $60million to make Halo 4?

#11Robin_MaskPosted 1/12/2014 1:03:12 AM
Spetsnaz420 posted...
It's kind of sickening how much it costs to make a game these days... Mind you I'm sure lots of that are overblown upper management salaries and what not.

You also have to keep in mind how much has changed, back then we didn't have all these shiny graphics, effects, voice-overs, sound effects and variables.

Mario 64 had some great stuff, but it was basic grass, sand, wood, castle and a few other colors here and there. Compare the lighting and detail to games like COD and God of War III now.

Back then it was easy to just pull off a few graphics and detail, Ocarina of Time just got some day and night cycle and slapped on skeletons and ghosts for the night. GTA III added a working timer and it wasn't until GTA IV where more detail was added.

Back then the open world was just there, RDR and GTA V added a crapton of detail, simple things like vehicle damage, killing birds with rotors, hunting animals, wind direction and many others are in GTA V. That is why it is hard to make games now, gamers get a lot more with $60 than they have ever done before.
---
Support! http://www.wayforward.com/shantae-half-genie-hero
#12Maverick_ReznorPosted 1/12/2014 1:49:07 AM
AppleJeZus posted...
GTA V took $265,000,000 to make.

GTA V also sold $1,000,000,000 in the first three days, however.

well every kid in america, plus every casual, and the occasional gamer, AND!!!!! their grandmas love GTA
---
Currently Playing : YS: Memories of Celceta, Megaman X2, and MH3U
Looking Forward To: Destiny, DKC:TF, MK8, I:SS, and The Order 1886
#13AppleJeZusPosted 1/12/2014 1:55:59 AM
Maverick_Reznor posted...
AppleJeZus posted...

well every kid in america, plus every casual, and the occasional gamer, AND!!!!! their grandmas love GTA

I wasn't saying anything bad about that, I contributed to that Billion dollars in three days. Just saying $60m is nothing compared to that work of art.
---
Gamertag, PSN, and Steam ID AppleJeZus
3DS Friend Code: 3282-2984-1471
#14BIackWindPosted 1/12/2014 2:05:43 AM
garcia_jx posted...
That's why back in the n64 days, if a game sold two million copies, it was a success. Now, if a AAA game sells 2 million copies, it's a complete fail. The cost of producing a game has gone through the roof. That's why THQ went under and Capcom is facing the same problem. Selling five million copies won't cut it anymore unless you're an indie developer, which in case, it would be fantastic to sell that many copies.

Yes. Unfortunately rich people are beyond stupid now.
#15Millertime660Posted 1/12/2014 2:24:07 AM
is it true that you asked this question on gamefaqs?
#16SoulTrapperPosted 1/12/2014 3:36:17 AM
Robin_Mask posted...
Spetsnaz420 posted...
It's kind of sickening how much it costs to make a game these days... Mind you I'm sure lots of that are overblown upper management salaries and what not.

You also have to keep in mind how much has changed, back then we didn't have all these shiny graphics, effects, voice-overs, sound effects and variables.

Mario 64 had some great stuff, but it was basic grass, sand, wood, castle and a few other colors here and there. Compare the lighting and detail to games like COD and God of War III now.

Back then it was easy to just pull off a few graphics and detail, Ocarina of Time just got some day and night cycle and slapped on skeletons and ghosts for the night. GTA III added a working timer and it wasn't until GTA IV where more detail was added.

Back then the open world was just there, RDR and GTA V added a crapton of detail, simple things like vehicle damage, killing birds with rotors, hunting animals, wind direction and many others are in GTA V. That is why it is hard to make games now, gamers get a lot more with $60 than they have ever done before.

The improved graphics actually have very little to do with the insane costs of the games we see today:

http://i.imgur.com/797B84S.jpg

Poor management structures and the insanely overinflated marketing budgets are much bigger issues.
#17IGGYTONYPosted 1/12/2014 9:30:42 AM
SoulTrapper posted...
Robin_Mask posted...
Spetsnaz420 posted...

The improved graphics actually have very little to do with the insane costs of the games we see today:

Poor management structures and the insanely overinflated marketing budgets are much bigger issues.

While I agree with your comment about marketing budgets when comparing the production costs of games like gta3 and gta5 there is a huge increase in the amount of money that goes into the software, hardware, actors, sound design, and the people needed to actually build the game. I don't know how long it took to produce gta3 but I guarantee gta5 blew the roof off of in terms of man hours. (I'm speaking in terms of production as a whole regarding the person you quoted, not solely graphics.)
---
FF_vs_XIII owns a PS3
#18aya469Posted 1/12/2014 9:58:17 AM
bloodlover4ever posted...
AppleJeZus posted...

Is this true? I mean no one it talking about GTA now, also this is too much and why would it cost that much?

When I beat it, the credits were running for a half an hour before I finally shut the game off because I had to leave the house.
---
I write about games and stuff. Check it out if you want. thisispixelplanet.tumblr.com
http://www.examiner.com/gamer-in-phoenix/michael-mckenzie
#19garcia_jxPosted 1/12/2014 11:28:45 AM
IGGYTONY posted...
SoulTrapper posted...
Robin_Mask posted...
Spetsnaz420 posted...

While I agree with your comment about marketing budgets when comparing the production costs of games like gta3 and gta5 there is a huge increase in the amount of money that goes into the software, hardware, actors, sound design, and the people needed to actually build the game. I don't know how long it took to produce gta3 but I guarantee gta5 blew the roof off of in terms of man hours. (I'm speaking in terms of production as a whole regarding the person you quoted, not solely graphics.)

I agree with this.
#202ndAtomiskPosted 1/12/2014 11:34:16 AM
Wouldn't doubt it. Tomb Raider cost $50 million.
---
I'm gonna cut out your eyes and piss in the ****ing sockets! ~ Kaine