Is it TRUE it took $60million to make Halo 4?

#21garcia_jxPosted 1/12/2014 9:52:11 PM
2ndAtomisk posted...
Wouldn't doubt it. Tomb Raider cost $50 million.

How many copies did it still? I believe it sold like 5million copies, no? If that's the case, I don't see how they said tomb raider was not successful commercially. Five million copies is well over the 50 million dollar production cost.
#22SunDevil77Posted 1/12/2014 9:59:04 PM
garcia_jx posted...
2ndAtomisk posted...
Wouldn't doubt it. Tomb Raider cost $50 million.

How many copies did it still? I believe it sold like 5million copies, no? If that's the case, I don't see how they said tomb raider was not successful commercially. Five million copies is well over the 50 million dollar production cost.

Because Square Enix
---
My teeth are swords, my claws are spears, my wings are a hurricane!
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539
#23zacebopPosted 1/12/2014 10:07:58 PM
JusticeSword posted...
bloodlover4ever posted...
AppleJeZus posted...
GTA V took $265,000,000 to make.

GTA V also sold $1,000,000,000 in the first three days, however.

Is this true? I mean no one it talking about GTA now, also this is too much and why would it cost that much?

Advertising. Ads are the thing that cost the most with the least actual value, as most big brands dont even need ads, its the smaller games that benefit most from them, big games get by on word of mouth, & gamers w/o friends or work colleagues are usually trawling the net anyway due to being friendless nobodies.

This person speaks the truth. As I am a friendless nobody who spends more time trolling than playing my ps4.
#24TheCyborgNinjaPosted 1/12/2014 10:30:03 PM
That's more money than it costs for me to make a sandwich. Killer.

Seriously, though. Didn't MS spend half a billion marketing the first Xbox in the month before launch? (It worked on me)
---
Jack Thompson is so disbarred, he's not even allowed to practice the law of gravity. - Kotomo
#25Maverick_ReznorPosted 1/12/2014 11:12:03 PM
AppleJeZus posted...
Maverick_Reznor posted...
AppleJeZus posted...
GTA V took $265,000,000 to make.

GTA V also sold $1,000,000,000 in the first three days, however.

well every kid in america, plus every casual, and the occasional gamer, AND!!!!! their grandmas love GTA

I wasn't saying anything bad about that, I contributed to that Billion dollars in three days. Just saying $60m is nothing compared to that work of art.

wasnt assuming you were. Halo is just limited to the 360 and sticks to a certain crowd of gamers while GTAV pretty much grabs everyone and their grandma
---
Currently Playing : YS: Memories of Celceta, Megaman X2, and MH3U
Looking Forward To: Destiny, DKC:TF, MK8, I:SS, and The Order 1886
#26googlerPosted 1/12/2014 11:52:03 PM
Bioshock infinite cost more to make. I'm kind of surprised halo 4 only cost $60 mil
#27Alienware4LifePosted 1/12/2014 11:57:52 PM
and why is this on the xbox one board?
---
Check out my PC,360,ps3, Movie, Old School game vidoes http://www.youtube.com/user/EpicConspiracy?feature=mhee
#281Phire1Posted 1/13/2014 12:15:44 AM
Paying for full-time salaries over several years of development + affording benefits... of course the costs add up. A lot goes into these games.
#29SoulTrapperPosted 1/13/2014 1:05:16 PM
IGGYTONY posted...

While I agree with your comment about marketing budgets when comparing the production costs of games like gta3 and gta5 there is a huge increase in the amount of money that goes into the software, hardware, actors, sound design, and the people needed to actually build the game. I don't know how long it took to produce gta3 but I guarantee gta5 blew the roof off of in terms of man hours. (I'm speaking in terms of production as a whole regarding the person you quoted, not solely graphics.)

The production costs are higher, I don't think anyone doubts that.

I only wanted to point out that the better graphics are not the reason why video games cost so much more.

The increased number of people needed to make a game aren't as much of a problem either, although a game like GTA5 is an exception due to it's sheer size.
I'm talking more about simple shooters like Halo and Call of Duty or Homefront.

There is no reason why a game like Homefront should cost $85 million.

It's poor management structures and insane marketing budgets that cause this.
#30garcia_jxPosted 1/13/2014 2:11:06 PM(edited)
Will the costs of making games eventually go down though? Let's say, once technology reaches its peak, and there is no going up, wouldn't the price of the hardware go down, making games cost less to produce? Of course, assuming that part of the cost is the hardware, which make games look better and run smoother.