Realistically, when can I expect a kinect-less model?

#11Spetsnaz420Posted 1/12/2014 12:22:44 AM
I doubt MS would be so wise as to release a Kinnectless SKU... Better to just buy one used
---
I don't conform to social convention
PS4 or Xbox... Why not Zoidberg?
#12Superman070776Posted 1/12/2014 12:32:40 AM
For the young kids, here is a quick history lesson in video games. Since consoles started having elaborate accessories, people haven't flocked to them to buy them. I remember the exercise pad for the NES, only one of my friends growing up had one. My parents weren't going to spend the extra money, and I was too little to work. Very few games were developed for the accessory because very few people had it, and gaming developers have to make money to stay open. A few years later, the Power Glove came out...even had a big spot in the 1 1/2 hour NES commercial that was the movie The Wizard with Fred Savage..but most parents weren't having it. Nothing special made for the accessory because it would have been a waste of money. This has been true with every console since, with only a few exception, like Dance Dance Revolution, Guitar Hero, and Rock Band. Now, last generation, the Kinect came out and not a lot of people adopted it. Even when it was added to the console, most of us had a console already, and never bought a Kinect to go with it. Hardly any games outside of gimmicky messes were made for it.

Then you come to this generation. Sony knows the eye toy and Move (personal massager) aren't going to cut it, so they forget Move and say it is because they care about the gamers. MS adds the Kinect to the console as PART of the console because they have faith that once we use it, we will see what the hype is about. Since it is integrated into the system, more developers are going to be able to take a chance and include features, or dedicate better and better gameplay that make use of the Kinect. Maybe a zombie game where if I sneeze while moving close to a horde, they will notice me, or if you cuss when a ref gives you a foul in basketball, you get penalized. That stuff is cool, to me. I am glad they aren't backing down on this. The idiot whiners already cost us the Family share plan...I don't want them costing us more. If the Kinect isn't for you, the X1 isn't for you, If you are afraid Big Brother wants to watch you game in your sister's panties, this console isn't for you. There is a cheap, featureless option out there for you to enjoy.

Oh, and BTW, we haven't lost anyone worth missing yet, and I doubt we will. There are plenty of people playing online, and with the vocal whiners jumping ship, the community is better for it.
---
https://www.youtube.com/user/BoilingKoolaid
#13Superman070776Posted 1/12/2014 12:35:16 AM
Nobody is better than Lucas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdNAlLLeeNM
---
https://www.youtube.com/user/BoilingKoolaid
#14TenzhiPosted 1/12/2014 3:28:48 AM
JK8289 posted...
I don't understand why you wouldn't want a connect. It's awesome. When they smooth a lot of it out it will be even better. What is it that you don't like?

I can't speak for the OP, but I detest motion and voice controls for gaming in general. Initiating actions with the push of a button is generally superior to a gesture or speech.

I would prefer a Kinect-less bundle to exist even if I have purchased the system before it happens for the simple fact that at that point developers will have to take into account that not everyone has a Kinect and *maybe* they'll think twice about cramming terrible Kinect features into games. Maybe we'd see less nonsense like ambient real-life noise absurdly travelling through the 4th wall to affect gameplay - no getting attacked by zombies just because your phone rings, for instance. Maybe developers would be less likely to arbitrarily penalise using a controller for an action over a voice command because they know that otherwise the controller would be superior - no having to hold in a button for several seconds to issue a command to your troops to make using the Kinect look more attractive, for instance.

And maybe, just maybe, the people in charge of the dashboard UI would realise that the ability to snap instantly to things via voice is no excuse for having a sloppily thrown together interface that's not as convenient to navigate manually as it could/should be.
---
Cheating has gone hand-in-hand with gaming for centuries. Video games in particular often have cheats built right into the game.
#15Foxx3kPosted 1/12/2014 3:30:58 AM
Tenzhi posted...
JK8289 posted...
I don't understand why you wouldn't want a connect. It's awesome. When they smooth a lot of it out it will be even better. What is it that you don't like?

I can't speak for the OP, but I detest motion and voice controls for gaming in general. Initiating actions with the push of a button is generally superior to a gesture or speech.

I would prefer a Kinect-less bundle to exist even if I have purchased the system before it happens for the simple fact that at that point developers will have to take into account that not everyone has a Kinect and *maybe* they'll think twice about cramming terrible Kinect features into games. Maybe we'd see less nonsense like ambient real-life noise absurdly travelling through the 4th wall to affect gameplay - no getting attacked by zombies just because your phone rings, for instance. Maybe developers would be less likely to arbitrarily penalise using a controller for an action over a voice command because they know that otherwise the controller would be superior - no having to hold in a button for several seconds to issue a command to your troops to make using the Kinect look more attractive, for instance.

And maybe, just maybe, the people in charge of the dashboard UI would realise that the ability to snap instantly to things via voice is no excuse for having a sloppily thrown together interface that's not as convenient to navigate manually as it could/should be.

You can turn off the Kinect features in Dead Rising 3.
---
[LanParty nF4 Ultra-D] [AMD64 3700+ San Diego] [2x 1gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8] [2x 250gb Barracuda] [Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS] [X850XTPE]
#16TheGam3925Posted 1/12/2014 3:33:41 AM
A button is more accurate than Kinect. The Kinect was optional for the 360 and it sold fine, now MS wants to cram it down your throat. Kinect is NOT for everyone, and if MS realized that they could have sold more consoles.
---
360 - The Game 925
PSN - TheGame925
#17Foxx3kPosted 1/12/2014 3:34:45 AM
TheGam3925 posted...
A button is more accurate than Kinect. The Kinect was optional for the 360 and it sold fine, now MS wants to cram it down your throat. Kinect is NOT for everyone, and if MS realized that they could have sold more consoles.

If MS realized that gamers want 4K 120FPS video games for free then they would have sold a lot of consoles. Why didn't they just think about what gamers want? If I was in charge of the Xbox, I would have sold so many consoles.
---
[LanParty nF4 Ultra-D] [AMD64 3700+ San Diego] [2x 1gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8] [2x 250gb Barracuda] [Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS] [X850XTPE]
#18TenzhiPosted 1/12/2014 3:35:44 AM
Foxx3k posted...

You can also just unplug the Kinect. Doesn't make the feature less terrible, just avoidable.
---
Cheating has gone hand-in-hand with gaming for centuries. Video games in particular often have cheats built right into the game.
#19slowdog76Posted 1/12/2014 3:37:36 AM
Superman070776 posted...
For the young kids, here is a quick history lesson in video games. Since consoles started having elaborate accessories, people haven't flocked to them to buy them. I remember the exercise pad for the NES, only one of my friends growing up had one. My parents weren't going to spend the extra money, and I was too little to work. Very few games were developed for the accessory because very few people had it, and gaming developers have to make money to stay open. A few years later, the Power Glove came out...even had a big spot in the 1 1/2 hour NES commercial that was the movie The Wizard with Fred Savage..but most parents weren't having it. Nothing special made for the accessory because it would have been a waste of money. This has been true with every console since, with only a few exception, like Dance Dance Revolution, Guitar Hero, and Rock Band. Now, last generation, the Kinect came out and not a lot of people adopted it. Even when it was added to the console, most of us had a console already, and never bought a Kinect to go with it. Hardly any games outside of gimmicky messes were made for it.

thats all fine, but actually, the first kinect was a (sales) success. taken from the wiki page...

24 million units of Kinect had been shipped by February 2013.[7] Having sold 8 million units in its first 60 days on the market, Kinect has claimed the Guinness World Record of being the "fastest selling consumer electronics device".[148][149][150][151] According to Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter, Kinect bundles accounted for about half of all Xbox 360 console sales in December 2010 and for more than two-thirds in February 2011.[152][153] More than 750,000 Kinect units were sold during the week of Black Friday 2011.[154][155]

---
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
Confucius
#20Foxx3kPosted 1/12/2014 3:38:37 AM
Tenzhi posted...
Foxx3k posted...

You can also just unplug the Kinect. Doesn't make the feature less terrible, just avoidable.

"Even though I can turn this innocuous feature in Dead Rising 3 off, I am outraged that it exists in the first place!"
---